Circuit Breaker Tracer ?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
What I need is one of those tracer thingies so I can figure out which circuit breaker works what stuff in my house. I'm not sure if this Fluke 3000 will do that. I want something I can plug in a socket and/or screw in a light bulb socket and locate it on my circuit box in the garage.

Looks like this Zircon CF12 will do it, but that seems like an expensive package

I wonder how this one is: Circuit Detective.

ROFL...read this guy's review of a Sperry model.

Looks like this Ideal works well, but only 2 reviews. I could use a screw in light bulb adapter plug to plug this into it.

clintb

Enlightened
Hi Lux,

I have the Zircon CF12 Pro and can say with absolute certainty, it works wonderfully! You have to use it just as the instructions state, and it'll then get to the exact breaker. It's a bit expensive, but I do all my electrical work alone, so it was rather necessary, and I reason that it saves so much time to be worth the cost.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a "Sperry" brand tracer set I bought at Lowes or Home Depot 5-10 years ago for around $20-30, and it has worked well on the several different houses I've used it at.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Mine is similar to the circuit detective. It does work, but may take a little practice.

I had problems using it at first. Just about every circuit I traced came back to multiple breakers. Then I found two breakers that would pop as soon as the second one was turned on. I finally gave up and called an electrician.

He found that wiring from 3 breakers were tied together in a junction box, making them one big 30 amp circuit. The two breakers that would not stay on together were on opposite phases.

Good luck.

Dan

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need something like that.

Other than the major electronic devices (fridge, stove, dryer, furnace) all the breakers are unmarked.

Short of turning on lamps/lights in every room and flicking off the breaker to figure out all it controls, this would make it a lot easier...expensive for a one off deal though, since this is a rental unit.