Battery Junction - Olight
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Professional's Favorite 20 Million Plus Candlepower Spotlight

Default New Professional's Favorite 20 Million Plus Candlepower Spotlight

I just bought this light from Advance Auto Parts. It is one of the most powerful spotlights I have ever held, and to my knowledge is very likely to be the new longest throwing Incandescent spotlight on the market. I am very pleased with it!

This light uses a 12V 120W/60W H4 Halogen bulb, and a 12V 7ah SLA battery. It comes with both AC and DC adaptors. It also has LED lights on the bezel that can be activated with a different switch than the one that controls the main beam.

I will post beamshots of it tonight if it is not raining. Here are some pictures I took of the light itself.

Last edited by BlueBeam22; 07-05-2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Remove duplicate photo

Default Re: New Professional's Favorite 20 Million Plus Candlepower Spotlight

WOW! That thing is a brute. I see that it says on the box, that it has a usb power port. Do that mean you can charge things like your ipod or cell phone from the light, or does it mean that you get to leave it hooked up to your computer for a week to get it to charge.

Must be dark in USA by now.

Mod it with a brighter HID bulb / ballast?

Quote Originally Posted by SilentK View Post
    WOW! That thing is a brute. I see that it says on the box, that it has a usb power port. Do that mean you can charge things like your ipod or cell phone from the light, or does it mean that you get to leave it hooked up to your computer for a week to get it to charge.
    I somehow misplaced the instruction booklet it came with. I will try to find it as soon as possible and post any information it gives about the USB port.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonck08 View Post
    Mod it with a brighter HID bulb / ballast?
    It would be the perfect candidate for an HID modification. The reflector is incredibly smooth and deep, and is around 9'' wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashanator View Post
    Must be dark in USA by now.
    Yes, I used this light a lot tonight and I was amazed! Its beam is about as tightly collimated as it gets for large Incan spotlights, and has a small pinpoint hotspot.

Here are a couple beamshots I took tonight comparing it to the Mega Illuminator. They didn't turn out very well, but I will take more tomorrow night and get higher quality ones.

The target ree is around 60 yards away, and the lights are aimed at the top.

AmondoTech Titanium Mega Illuminator:

Pro's Favorite 20 Million Plus Candlepower:

That's quite the main battle tank you have there. The beamshots are a bit unrevealing but thanks for taking the time to try anyhow. IIRC, the old pro's favorite had a slightly OP'd reflector and stil threw well. I can see why this would throw even better.

Now that´s a big one!!

I know from my own experience that for every 1 good light that I find there is 4 bad ones..
    And you BB seems to find a wide variety of useful lights... Sooo, how many lights do have in your closet....?

And I really like your threads

Hmmm... looks just like their 'old' 17.5MCP spotlight with the exception of the LED/bezel design

If you've still got your old 17.5MCP a head-to-head shootout would be interesting
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

Super Moderator

It certainly looks the part. Are the black chunky protective bits made of heavy-duty rubber, or plastic?
    Resistance is futile...

Smile Re: New Professional's Favorite 20 Million Plus Candlepower Spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    It certainly looks the part. Are the black chunky protective bits made of heavy-duty rubber, or plastic?
    Hello DM51! Thanks for your reply.

All the black parts of the light such as the bezel ring, handle and parts of the body are heavy duty rubber. The only parts of it that are plastic are the lighter grey parts of the body, and the the plastic housing behind the bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    That's quite the main battle tank you have there. The beamshots are a bit unrevealing but thanks for taking the time to try anyhow. IIRC, the old pro's favorite had a slightly OP'd reflector and stil threw well. I can see why this would throw even better.
    LOL Patriot, it sure is.

Very good observation about the reflector. The old 17.5mcp version had an OP reflector, whereas this one is just as smooth as the one in my Thor 15mcp. I do believe the new 20+mcp version out throws the 17.5mcp. The new 20+mcp easily out throws the 15mcp Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by M@elstrom View Post
    Hmmm... looks just like their 'old' 17.5MCP spotlight with the exception of the LED/bezel design

If you've still got your old 17.5MCP a head-to-head shootout would be interesting
    Yes, the two lights are very similar. I consider the SMO reflector to be the biggest improvement over the old 17.5mcp. My old 17.5mcp still works just great and I will include it in my beamshots tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Member View Post

Now that´s a big one!!

I know from my own experience that for every 1 good light that I find there is 4 bad ones..
    And you BB seems to find a wide variety of useful lights... Sooo, how many lights do have in your closet....?

And I really like your threads
    Thanks Team Member!

It is a huge light. The front of it including the bezel with the LED lights is wider in diameter than that of the Mega Illuminator/Costco HID.

I don't keep track of the exact number of lights I have, but I believe it is over 60.

BB, did you mainly buy that for its modding capability, because it seems the Amondo is spanking it quite handily.

I'm thinking,

........new Lips, finned 84+ watt ballast and DL50 Fatboy. Ya know you want to.

Even though it's huge, I do think the host is pretty tough looking, in a cool sort-a way.

Unrelated random though: The tinfoil hat smiley reminds me of the classic WWI doughboy True tinfoil hat characters should have a twisted point as seen in the movie Signs. End of strange thought process...

Patriot thanks pretty much what I want to do with my Ti-Mega.

9000bulb lumens in a 9"+ reflector

just looking @ BB pics, I can see more spill from the Amondo on that tree. Best to try get a bit more exposure.
    Last edited by Flashanator; 07-06-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Smile Re: New Professional's Favorite 20 Million Plus Candlepower Spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    BB, did you mainly buy that for its modding capability, because it seems the Amondo is spanking it quite handily.
    Hello LuxLuthor!

Correct. The Mega Illuminator is a large amount brighter than the 20+mcp spotlight, and has a much brighter corona.

I am going to do extensive throw testing between these two lights tonight.

I bought the 20+mcp mainly because it was the most powerful Incandescent spotlight I had ever seen, and I love Incandescent spotlights. I strongly believe the new 20+mcp will easily spank a stock 100W Halogen LightForce SL240 Blitz or stock 100W Collins Dynamics Magnum in throw.

I'm thinking,

........new Lips, finned 84+ watt ballast and DL50 Fatboy. Ya know you want to.

Even though it's huge, I do think the host is pretty tough looking, in a cool sort-a way.
    +1, this would be an amazing mod! Imagine the laser like beam it would give with that HID configuration, considering what a superb reflector it has.

Unrelated random though: The tinfoil hat smiley reminds me of the classic WWI doughboy True tinfoil hat characters should have a twisted point as seen in the movie Signs. End of strange thought process...

just looking @ BB pics, I can see more spill from the Amondo on that tree. Best to try get a bit more exposure.
    I promise that the pics I take tonight will be much better than the last ones, and should really show the difference between the 20+mcp and Mega Illuminator.

Buttrock Re: New Professional's Favorite 20 Million Plus Candlepower Spotlight

Fantastic review as always BB!

This spotlight is awesome looking, and that reflector is beautiful! I bet the throw is just insane... I definitely have to have one of these, and can't wait to see what it can do at the beach. Really looking forward to those new beamshots...........................

Thumbs up Re: New Professional's Favorite 20 Million Plus Candlepower Spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeam22 View Post
    Yes, the two lights are very similar. I consider the SMO reflector to be the biggest improvement over the old 17.5mcp. My old 17.5mcp still works just great and I will include it in my beamshots tonight.

The 17.5 MCP version available here looks to have an identically textured reflector to the newer Professional's Favourite release (see below)... I think the USB power port & LED area lights are a nice additional option though!

Looking forward to those head-to-head beamshots

The 17.5 MCP version available here looks to have an identically textured reflector to the newer Professional's Favourite release (see below)... I think the USB power port & LED area lights are a nice additional option though!

Looking forward to those head-to-head beamshots
    I really like your side by side comparison M@elstrom. Their reflectors do look very similar in texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Showolf View Post
    Fantastic review as always BB!

This spotlight is awesome looking, and that reflector is beautiful! I bet the throw is just insane... I definitely have to have one of these, and can't wait to see what it can do at the beach. Really looking forward to those new beamshots...........................
    Thank you Showolf!

I took beamshots last night, but unfortunately only 2 of them turned out well. I am going to take some more tonight, and I promise a direct comparison between the old 17.5MCP and new 20+MCP.

I did that throw testing between the Pro's Favorite 20+MCP and Mega Illuminator. I shined them at some trees 200+ yards away, and they were close but I could tell the Mega Illuminator was putting a tighter and brighter spot on them.

I really love my Mega Illuminator, and I don't think I will ever get a light that matches it in throw. Likewise, I don't know of any other Halogen spotlight that would match the new 20+MCP in throw.

SilentK, I found the instruction manual to the 20+MCP. It states that the USB port can charge/operate most items that use a standard USB cable, and that it has a 500mA maximum. Also, the lower rocker switch that controls the LED lights on the front has to be switched into the backward position to activate the USB port.

Here are the two beamshots that turned out well. The lights are aimed at the top of a tree a little over 30 yards away. The first one is the Mega Illuminator, and the second one is the PF 20+MCP.

Unenlightened

I just looked at this new light at Advance Auto Parts. It's a MONSTER of a light! The only thing that kept me from buying one is the weight. Not sure what the weight is but it's a little too heavy for what I'd use it for. Still, it's VERY cool!

Nice colour rendition there on the PF20

6000K on the Mega Illuminator really shows up against an Incandescent

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeam22 View Post
    Here are the two beamshots that turned out well. The lights are aimed at the top of a tree a little over 30 yards away. The first one is the Mega Illuminator, and the second one is the PF 20+MCP.

Is that correct that the top one is the Ti Mega...or it is the other way around? Just curious since the lower picture seems to have the tighter hotspot and cooler beam.

Is that correct that the top one is the Ti Mega...or it is the other way around? Just curious since the lower picture seems to have the tighter hotspot and cooler beam.
    Yes, the upper beamshot is the Mega Illuminator and the lower one is the 20+MCP Pro's Favorite. Those shots show just how well the 20+MCP holds up to the Mega Illuminator for being an Incandescent, so you can see how the 20+MCP would easily stomp a 15MCP Thor, and would possibly outperform many other halogen spotlights with giant 9'' reflectors.

It certainly does give perfect rendition being an Incandescent. I took the comparison beamshots you asked for, and I hope you like them!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
    I just looked at this new light at Advance Auto Parts. It's a MONSTER of a light! The only thing that kept me from buying one is the weight. Not sure what the weight is but it's a little too heavy for what I'd use it for. Still, it's VERY cool!
    It is a very heavy light! It weighs more than the original 17.5MCP.

BEAMSHOTS

Here is the comparison between the 17.5MCP and 20+MCP that M@elstrom requested. The tree is around 30 yards away.

Original 17.5MCP

New 20+MCP

Notice the super tight hotspot on the 20+MCP!

Here is another lux/throw comparison between the Mega Illuminator and 20+MCP, which turned out pretty well. They are shining at the top of a power line pole which I estimate to be around 100 yards away from where I was standing.

Mega Illuminator

20+MCP

STANLEY HID
    Last edited by BlueBeam22; 07-07-2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Add Stanley beamshot

Do you mean it looks 6000K? I was aware the Ti-Mega was 4200K, well at least mine was anyway.

Do you mean it looks 6000K? I was aware the Ti-Mega was 4200K, well at least mine was anyway.
    I stand corrected... by comparison the Mega Illuminator looks to be well above the incan's frequency (though cameras don't capture things like our eyes perceive them)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeam22
    Notice the super tight hotspot on the 20+MCP!
    They both appear (from the pic's) to have a similar hotspot, though the 20MCP has a wider spread... nice!

stopped by the local autoparts store, they were about $ 60 dollars, seem about right? I thought i read on another thread they might be cheaper but can't find that thread now.

thanks

Thank you for more pic BB but I'm afraid they're inconclusive to my eye no matter how long I try to reconcile them. One thought that came to mind was the type of camera you're using. If it doesn't have manual settings which you can lock between shots the results will prove to be completely random. Any chance that's what's happening?

Thank you for more pic BB but I'm afraid they're inconclusive to my eye no matter how long I try to reconcile them. One thought that came to mind was the type of camera you're using. If it doesn't have manual settings which you can lock between shots the results will prove to be completely random. Any chance that's what's happening?

Yes, I think that might be the problem. I do apologize for the lack of quality in my comparison photos. I do have a very good digital camera with a night photography setting which I will use in the future for comparison beamshots.

I will soon take some more pictures of the light itelf, and size comparisons between it and the Mega Illuminator.

They both appear (from the pic's) to have a similar hotspot, though the 20MCP has a wider spread... nice!
    The 20+MCP does have a wide corona, which is really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by prius View Post
    stopped by the local autoparts store, they were about $ 60 dollars, seem about right? I thought i read on another thread they might be cheaper but can't find that thread now.

thanks
    Yes, $60 is correct for the new 20 Million Plus Candlepower version. It was the original 17.5 Million Candlepower spotlight that sold for $40.
    Last edited by BlueBeam22; 07-08-2009 at 12:34 PM.

BB-do you have a POB to compare it to?I'm asking because occasionally I would like to have a quick starting incan alternative.BTW-another great review-keep them coming!!!!
    My girlfriend said if I bought one more light she would leave me...........I'm sure gonna miss her.

Thank you ANDREAS FERRARI!

Yes, I do have a POB, and the Professional's Favorite 20+MCP easily out throws it.

I will take more pictures this weekend.

WOW! BlueBeam got himself a MOAF! (Mother Of All Flashlights) I love my PF cloud cannon! Mine is the older model without the neat LED's. It will certainly impress your friends and neighbors. Here's a pic of my original model and a beam shot.

Skyeye
    "Pay no atttention to that man behind the curtain, he's just a Flashaholic!"

Buttrock Re: New Professional's Favorite 20 Million Plus Candlepower Spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyeye View Post
    WOW! BlueBeam got himself a MOAF! (Mother Of All Flashlights)

Actually... he's had one for ages and so have I for that matter, you chanced upon yours in a thrift store if I remember correctly didn't you?

Gotta' love big reflectored lights!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast