P7 Pocket Screamers roundup

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just going over what's available as a way of helping me make a decision, but I figure I'm not the only one eyeing the market excitedly.

Malkoff Quad-Core - prototype, direct-drive optic, regulated optic: thermal engineering of win, but the optics are completely hot-spot free. Direct-drive modules are custom made, and clock in at $70-80; regulated modules are the brightest thing in their weight class but also very spendy - $125 for just the module, and a quality host costs $40 or more (if you need one; off brands can be down to $20 for a host)

Can be used in a 3p, or an E1e with Valiant head. Ranges from obscene (limited prototype run on secondary market) to spendy (DD-O) to expensive (regulated P7) plus cost of host. E-hosts require $30 adapter head.

Malkoff Production Model - These may not have the raw grunt of the P7 prototypes, but they're much better behaved and much less picky eaters. They trade the 'RoomSweeper' style beam defined by an ultra-wide hot spot and wide spill for an even flood, but they're a bit more collimated than a Mule... perhaps 25° to half intensity, if I recall correctly.

Can be used in a 6p (no single-cell battery provides enough voltage) or an E2 with the VME head. Unlike the prototype, it won't need a front window due to the Cree optic.

Milkyspit's Roomsweeper - Considerably smaller, but only a sliver of reflector produces a 30° hot-spot or so. Expensive, requires a host light at $60 or more, plus $150 worth of modification.

Milkyspit's Shotgun sweeper - This variation of the Roomsweeper uses a recoil-hardened design, an MC-E emitter, and a different reflector for an even flood beam akin to the production Malkoff quad-cores, instead of the typical Roomsweeper pattern.

Chimera - This uniquely flat light is perfect for a pocket. Does double-duty as a flash memory device, and charges from USB. Also uniquely expensive at $400+. Produces an even, square flood.

Elektrolumens EDC-P7 - too big for the list, but included as the smallest of Elektrolumens' deathrays. Bigger reflector/optic for better throw. $130.

Sabrewulf EDC-P7 - Another CPF original, this starts life as a DX cheapsie, before being gutted and stuffed with the latest monster LED and a driver. Unique glow-cap feature puts a 3 mA LED under the tailcap; this replaces the tritium vials found on other high-end lights, but without the fear of little bitty glass tubes breaking. At $110 with all available options, it's fairly economical. An additional $15 buys you batteries and charger with the EDC, making it easy to get your feet wet with this one. New models include tactical grip-rings and a newly selected host.

Surefire KL-4 P7 mod - Better throw than the KL4 MC-E, somehow; using the stock Luxeon 5 driver, essentially all the properties of the original L4 are preserved, while doubling or tripling the output. Works with any E-series compatible light.

DX MC-E Budget Dropin - There is nothing else in its price class. Unfortunately, it's limited to single-cell applications, once again convincing me we need a primary 18650 cell. To quote Kramer5150,
First of all, my module is THE one that was tested by CPF member MrGman in his calibrated integration sphere. I bought it off CPF member bigchellis, who is buddies with MrGman and together they measured it at 150 Lumens on low and 345 Lumens on high. Note also that those numbers were registered after the module had warmed up. On a cold start it emits 385 Lumens, but it drops to 345L from heat.
It's also capable of donating the MC-E pill to anything taking a typical China pill, including some (tiny) DX DIY hosts.

This list isn't exhaustive, I know. Let's make this into a nice resource for people looking for a pocket rocket.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Sabrewolf makes his mini-edc in 123 or 18650 format with P7 or MC-e. I have carried and used the 123 version for a while now, and it is my go-to light at work. He also modded a Jetbeam AA light for me with a P7, works well with a AA primary and ROCKS with a 14250. :D

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Electrolumens EDC-P7 Is probably the brightest of the bunch "the only light I have seen edge it out is the legion II" and if your serious about running full power in one of these little screamers it's the only compact P7 light with enough heat sinking to pull it off, but it's really a little impractical for pocket carry "think of a heavy, chubby 6P:laughing:" but it's great on a belt, also I don't know if he's still making them:thinking:.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shouldn't this be in the LED section, since P7 lights are LED lights?

supasizefries

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure he doesn't make the EDC P7 anymore. But, his latest creation should be <sarcasm> just a wee bit brighter </sarcasm> than the EDC P7. :crackup::crackup::whistle::party:

I'd love to obtain an EDC P7 one of these days.

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sabrewolf's Chimera is a great light but it is Cree MC-E powered and not a P7 light.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let it be known that I love pocket screamers and so far none have broken the 500 out the front barrier as tested by MrGman in his sticky post #1 and #3. Malkoff has come close at 470 out the front with his MC-E regulated version.

So P7 Pocket Screamer....Here is my Malkoff P7 direct drive with IMR 16340. It screams at 330ish out the front. It made 380ish with IMR 18650.

P3030081.jpg

P3030074-1.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is an E1E with M30 from Gene@ Makoff Devices..

PC190175.jpg

And here are more pocket screamers with Malkoff P7 drop-ins. I purchased 3 of them and 2 MC-E's from Gene.lovecpf

P1190010.jpg

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let it be known that I love pocket screamers and so far none have broken the 500 out the front barrier as tested by MrGman in his sticky post #1 and #3. Malkoff has come close at 470 out the front with his MC-E regulated version.

So P7 Pocket Screamer....Here is my Malkoff P7 direct drive with IMR 16340. It screams at 330ish out the front. It made 380ish with IMR 18650.

I would love to see what the EDC-P7 could do in G-man's integrated sphere. It's a good deal brighter then my 3x 18650 powered LF EO-13 lamp, I know that it's over estimated a bit at 700 lumens, though that was before the 18650 "not 18500" adapter was available, so it shouldn't be to far off, Electrolumens is known to sort of push his lights in way other wouldn't, some of them come out a little under driven, but others like his P7 Maglite really screams "I know I saw actual integrated sphere testing of it by a member here a long time ago", and I can't find it for the life of me but I remember it was 870 lumens out the front:faint:!, luckily his lights have such great heat sinks:twothumbs!

Crap I've got to find that thread:candle:.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shouldn't this be in the LED section, since P7 lights are LED lights?

Probably, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Sabrewolf's Chimera is a great light but it is Cree MC-E powered and not a P7 light.

I tried to edit the post title to "Quad-core pocket screamers" but it didn't let me. I figured MC-E would get brought up quickly enough. What else should a good roundup thread have, links and prices? I'll edit the first post, if that's ok with the mods.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
What was that tiny little one that was on the Christmas giveaway? You could get a little green LED in the tail switch. It was really small, based on a DX light I think, I know they were for sale back then don't know now:confused:. It was a CR123 or smaller light. Also some one did a custom one off MCE AAA light:faint: "not for sale" but it did exist.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
What was that tiny little one that was on the Christmas giveaway? You could get a little green LED in the tail switch. It was really small, based on a DX light I think, I know they were for sale back then don't know now:confused:. It was a CR123 or smaller light. Also some one did a custom one off MCE AAA light:faint: "not for sale" but it did exist.
That was Sabrewolf's EDC-P7 and I think you can still have one made.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see what the EDC-P7 could do in G-man's integrated sphere. It's a good deal brighter then my 3x 18650 powered LF EO-13 lamp, I know that it's over estimated a bit at 700 lumens, though that was before the 18650 "not 18500" adapter was available, so it shouldn't be to far off, Electrolumens is known to sort of push his lights in way other wouldn't, some of them come out a little under driven, but others like his P7 Maglite really screams "I know I saw actual integrated sphere testing of it by a member here a long time ago", and I can't find it for the life of me but I remember it was 870 lumens out the front:faint:!, luckily his lights have such great heat sinks:twothumbs!

Crap I've got to find that thread:candle:.

Nailbender built 4 P7 Maglights for me and 2 P60 P7 drop-ins all direct drive, all using UCL, and the same bin P7. I think Electrolumens has some massive looking heatsink, but a single IMR 18650/ IMR C cell will not power a direct drive P7 to break the 800 lumen barier. So far, only NiMH cells have enough juice to give 800 out the front (at least for a minute).

Here is the P7 direct drive in a 2D host running D2flex.
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____878.5______0 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____760.7_____15 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____742.1_____30 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy.____732.7_____45 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____725.2_____60 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy.____719.6_____75 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____714.0_____90 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____710.3____105 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____704.7____120 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____697.2____150 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__2D mag, with 3NiMH__3 C Tenergy,____691.6____180 sec_______,

Now, the with everything being the same, but with IMR 18650 and IMR C cell it did the same and as follows.
Nailbender P7__________,__1D Mag, IMR 18650________________710.3______0 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__1D Mag, IMR 18650________________659.8_____15 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__1D Mag, IMR 18650________________639.3_____30 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__1D Mag, IMR 18650________________628.0_____45 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__1D Mag, IMR 18650________________620.6_____60 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__1D Mag, IMR 18650________________615.0_____75 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__1D Mag, IMR 18650________________611.2_____90 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__1D Mag, IMR 18650________________607.5____105 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__1D Mag, IMR 18650________________603.7____120 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__1D Mag, IMR 18650________________598.1____150 sec_______,
Nailbender P7__________,__1D Mag, IMR 18650________________592.5____180 sec_______,

And now with a single IMR 18650 in a 6P hosts with UCL lens.
Nailbender P7__________,__Solar, AR Glass_______1X18650,_____360.0______3 sec_______,====== Here is the pocket screamer with 360 out the front lumens in a 6P hosts...

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

He can say and claim those 1000 lumens, but we already know via much testing thanks to MrGman that a high current single cell IMR 18650 P7/MC-E light that small will only be 356~380 out the front at best.

I like the CR123 light better with the lower current. Saberwolf makes some amazing products, but only MrGman has a real IS sphere and it would be awesome if he sent 1 of each for testing.

gsxrac

Enlightened
I should be seeing a EDC-P7 on my doorstep any day now. Are the Malkoff P60 style P7's still available? I dont see them on his site? And about how much do they run?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should be seeing a EDC-P7 on my doorstep any day now. Are the Malkoff P60 style P7's still available? I dont see them on his site? And about how much do they run?

NO,
Mr. Gene doesn't make the P7 or MC-E direct drive anymore. He does make the 470 out the front lumen MC-E regulated P60 drop-in:twothumbs

The DX and Nailbender P7 make about the same out the front lumens as the Malkoff P7/ MC-E drop-ins. There is also the Dereelight MC-E and Solarforce MC-E drop-in P60 style.:D

I myself want a regulated Malkoff MC-E. The regulation makes them very flexible with multiple cell capabilities and low current, yet the recored holder for out the front lumens in that size.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been 2 or 3 months since I've been to Gene (Malkoff devices) website - but I got a P7 drop in ~6 months or so ago from him. I never did see it on his website - I emailed him and asked & he let me know when they were available.

If my memory is correct - it's a single cell (3 to 4.5v) direct drive light. It was about $75 or so.

BIG Flood. I sold it - I'm more of an incan / throw guy. When I go to LEDs I look more for long run (have a M60LL in a G2 with a tailcap clicky) or some mod (have sabrewolfs CR123, 18650 & a mini chimera on order).

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Added a couple more.

Malkoff P7 prototypes are awesome, if you own a 3p and some IMRs.

MC-E direct-drive modules have always been made bespoke, and are just as floody as the M60F, or so I'm told. I was tempted to get one, but by the time funds caught up with me, the reflectorized versions were all MIA, and I wanted some hot spot. Did anyone talk to him about the DD-MC-E's supposed demise? If the only source is his webpage, I don't think they ever graced those pages.