What is safe to put on a Dog Tag keyring?

Torpedo Vegas

Newly Enlightened
I want to get a dog tag, or something similar, to put on my key chain that would give some one a way to contact me if I lose my keys. What is safe though? A name, home phone number, or address can easily be figured out. What about a cell phone number or email address though? Would I be better off using an online service? Has anyone ever had keys returned using a similar method? Any alternatives, possibly smaller, to a dog tag?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to get a dog tag, or something similar, to put on my key chain that would give some one a way to contact me if I lose my keys. What is safe though? A name, home phone number, or address can easily be figured out. What about a cell phone number or email address though? Would I be better off using an online service? Has anyone ever had keys returned using a similar method? Any alternatives, possibly smaller, to a dog tag?

I definitely wouldn't put a home address or home phone number (especially if it isn't an unpublished number*) as the finder would know which house can be looted without breaking any windows or doors (and maybe even be able to steal a car out of the garage or driveway).

That being said, most people are still fairly honest. Maybe just put a disposable email address on the tag, like "thanksforfindingmykeys" or "ithoughttheyweregoneforever" @yahoo or something like that. Something you know that you won't need to check unless you've actually lost your keys, so there's no worry about having to deal with spam and whatnot.

*Unpublished numbers are more secure than "unlisted", which simply means it's not printed in the directory but can still be obtained by calling information.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say the same thing as Alaric Darconville. An e-mail would be the safest bet IMO. Maybe a cell number but that's about all I would do.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Name & cellphone number only.

A cell number isn't enough. People want to know who they'll be talking to. As far as a cell number goes, if the friendly stranger turns out to be a nutjob who keeps calling you; just call your provider and change your cell number. If you have a ton of folks who have your cell number. Make a paper-copy of all your contacts, then call them up if you need to change your cell number.

Why e-mail address is a poor idea:
Keep in mind that we're not to the point where everyone has a computer or internet access in their home. Roughly 40% of the population in any major city is without home internet service. You put an e-mail address, and some folks aren't going to bother. But those same folks would grab their cellphone, home-phone, or even toss a quarter into a payphone.

Radiophile

Enlightened
Years ago in gift catalogs there were keyrings that had a serial number and a message asking the finder to put the keys in a mailbox. They were mailed back to the keyring company who in turn shipped them to the buyer who's name and address was registered with the company.

I did a quick search and apparently this is still done. I don't use this service myself, but I might sign up. Here are some links:

http://www.key-rescue.com/
http://lostfoundkey.com/faq.html
http://www.lostkeysreturn.com/

There are others I found, but didn't bother to list here. This is the search I used:

http://www.google.com/search?q=retu...st&btnG=Search&hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&sa=2

This search also revealed that Discover Card offers this service, so if you have one you might check that out. There are organizations that offer this as a fund raiser or as a promotional offer. Banks and car dealers fall into the latter category, so you might want to check with the local organizations you belong to or patronize to see if this service is offered.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would put work address and office number on them
i am actually thinking about getting some stamped up for just that purpose

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
if all else fails put a relatives (with different last name) address on it or a PO box number maybe that way they cannot use the keys to open your address as it won't work on someone elses house.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Better yet... get duplicates made of all your keys, store them in a safe place, and totally skip putting any sort of identification or dog tag on them.

No thief is going to try every car in a parking lot or every home doorknob in a city. There is no reason to broadcast your personal information to the world.

IMHO, which is worth about $0.02. :D

Norm

Retired Administrator
Better yet... get duplicates made of all your keys, store them in a safe place, and totally skip putting any sort of identification or dog tag on them.

No thief is going to try every car in a parking lot or every home doorknob in a city. There is no reason to broadcast your personal information to the world.

IMHO, which is worth about $0.02. :D
Have you priced a car key that contains a remote lately, Toyota charge about $400 Australian Dollars, that's something I'd like to get back.

Norm