F'ING DOG!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
OK here is a sad story for the day. :shakehead

My very loved 1st gen Cree KX2 head that I got just after I arrived at CPF is half gone. I modded it myself to a nice Q3 5A and the optic took to it fantastically. I got it as perfectly centered as anyone ever could and the beam was flawless. I loved the runtime I got from 1 18650 cell too. It was the one I would never get rid of because of the sentimental value.

I had the top of the head off, you know the part that has the lens and optic in it, thinking about putting in a couple of trits. I got called away to help do something and when I return what do I find lying on the bed? Not both pieces that's what! I can only blame the dog because nobody else was here. He isn't a big enough dog to swallow it without strangling on it but he did take off outside very shortly after I was called away.
All I can figure is that he grabbed it and ran and dropped it somewhere outside. I looked all over the yard. I did more than looked I actually mowed the lawn in frustration just so I might find it that way and got nothing!

:mecry:
So here I am in the custom section to ask, what now? I got the bottom half of the head with all the goodies in it and doesn't seem to of been touched. It works just fine. So does anyone have any ideas? I can't call SF and get half a head back and if I send it in I'll lose a good LED and the superior, IMO, 1 mode electronics. I need a top half of a bezel and a lens plus an optic/reflector. Is there anything that is known to fit or am I screwed? I guess I could find someone to make a new bezel top out of Ti or SS but then I'd have to find the right size gasket, lens, reflector, and such. That's going to be difficult at best and pretty expensive. I do not want it to turn into a mule head either.
:sick2: Tomorrow may be the dog's last day.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Which one of those McGizmo Cree reflectors will fit down in there?
McR19XR I believe. I guess if I have a new top half made I could fit the whole reflector in there without it needing to be cut down.

Lets see Ti top just big enough to hold the reflector and lens without much excess material (some grooves would be cool), a McR19XR, AR coated lens, and a silicone lens gasket of some sort. I guess Al would be OK too if the maker could do a hard nat anno on it so it would match the rest of the light.

But who could do it without me waiting 3 months or more?

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shoot Milky a pm/email, ill bet he has some left over from projects.

Crenshaw

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look thru Sales threads by Benny (Morperus SPELLING)
I think he sold some SS Mini Mag bezels, rethreaded to fit a KX2

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could probably just buy a used head and steal the parts you need off of that. I saw some go for $45 in the marketplace, and you'd be looking at more than that for a custom part.

On the side of the custom part, you'd have something unique. I'm sure I'd be able to make you one, but it would take me 2-3 weeks.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yes if I find a cheap E head to rob within the next week or so I will go that route.
Well what would the approximate price be if you were to make me something? 3 weeks is fine.

I laid out what I'd want above, no crenellations. Just a smooth rounded lip at the end of the bezel. Would you need my head? I would rather not ship it off.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be about $60-$75 depending on the cost of the material.
I would need the head to make sure everything fit together right.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Thank you Tekno but I just landed a new head for $50. I will use it's shell and save the 2 stage guts for something else.
Perhaps I'll make a neat drop-in?

I guess this thread is finished, the dog still lives too!