are the Fenix orange tailcap buttons glow in the dark?

TabascoJoe

Newly Enlightened
I have a quick & easy question: I was wondering if the Orange Fenix rubber switch button is glow in the dark? the reason i ask is because lighthound.com has them listed in the glow in the dark section of their site. I didnt think they were and I want to make sure before I order a few.
Thanks.

duboost

Enlightened
i didn't think they were gitd either. But i decided to test it out for myself and just shined a light on my orange tailcap from my tk11 then took it in the bathroom and what do u know.. it does glow! i had no idea. Its a pretty faint glow though. The green gitd ones i have on other lights are MUCH brighter. But the orange one on my tk11 does give a slight glow. This was after hitting it with a flashlight though, so the glow from just being charged by surrounding light is very faint and barely noticeable.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I became curious and just checked the spare orange rubber boot of my TK10: Duboost is right but the glow is so limited that personally I would not call it a GITD.

BTW TabascoJoe, :welcome:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, and even if you hit them with a good blast of UV light, they will only glow for a few minutes and not very brightly either. :shakehead

Mikey V

Newly Enlightened
I bought a few of these orange Fenix tailcap boots from Lighthound too. They don't glow in the dark. For something as popular as GITD tailcap covers, they seem remarkably hard to find. They s/b everywhere!

kts

Enlightened
I just got a TK20, the spare orange tailcap DO glow, but not very much :ironic:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Well... there are GITD pigments/powder molded in there. Its easier to see with a UV light. Do they glow?.... not really

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yes they do...if you sit in a dark room for at least 15 minutes, then close your eyes to preserve night adapted vision, at the same time exposing the tailcap to UV light for at least a full minute, then turn off the UV light source, quickly open your eyes, you might just see it glow for a full minute (if you're lucky). So they do indeed glow, but you do have to follow these instructions closely to see the effect. :nana:

xenonk

Enlightened
The orange tailcap of my TK10 glows green in the dark. It's dim, but works well enough to act as a locator for around 15 minutes. Possibly much longer with night-adapted vision, but having the tailcap charged and your vision adapted at the same time sounds like it requires some silliness like Toohotruk pointed out.

tango44

Enlightened
What´s the right order to install a Fenix TK11 tailcap, first the rubber cover, second the metal washer, third the plastic washer and then the hole switch, Is this the right order or no?

Thank you.