Any Fitness Trainers? Or fitness gurus? I have problem.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly doubt this is worth a doctor, nor do I want to register for a workout forum.

When I do bench presses and dips my shoulders are making popping noises. It doesn't hurt most of the time. Only on two reps of dips did it actually hurt.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't know what is causing your problem I do know if it hurts you are probably overdoing it or using too much weight. My shoulders pop and crack too. Try something easier for awhile until your joints get stronger/used to it.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't know what is causing your problem I do know if it hurts you are probably overdoing it or using too much weight. My shoulders pop and crack too. Try something easier for awhile until your joints get stronger/used to it.

I did this with my bench presses for the most part.

They started doing it and I decided (I just did) to just hope nothing went wrong. Good thing because nothing did, and they have almost stopped. It only does it once in a while and it doesn't hurt a bit.

Now if I go to dips, they pop and crunch every rep. When I stop my collar bone on each side feels like an enormous pressure almost caused it to break.

It's interestingly odd yet suspicious that I worry my collar bone might break. Maybe I go down too far :)

Wheres Robocop? I wonder how many times he tore his rotator cuff..

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Proper form is much more crucial than the actual amount of weight and it took me years to actually believe in that. I always thought if you were pushing big amounts of weight surely I would grow stronger.....it only made me injured more often. If you are doing too much too soon your body will tell you. Sore is a good thing however there is a difference between sore and injured.

My shoulders are one of my strong points however over the years have made all kinds of noises usually associated with pain. I switched to dumbell presses from a straight bar and it helped a great deal. I was told by some more in the know than myself that with dumbells in each hand you are forced to use other muscles to stabilize the weight. You can not do as much weight with dumbells in each hand however it forces you to use a better form also.

My chest and shoulders grew stronger, and thus more stable, with dumbells and I noticed this helped me from injuring myself further. Rotator cups are tricky and it seems that once you notice pain in them it will always be there to some degree. If your collar bones are hurting with dips try to concentrate more on feeling it in your triceps with each movement. Many times people tend to lean forward with dips placing much more stress on your shoulders than necessary....try changing your angles a little.

My old bones are making many more noises these days however lighter weight, proper warm up sets, and better form tend to minimize the effects. If I remember correct you are 20 years younger than myself and have plenty of time to improve. If you injure yourself early on it will only make your next 20 years that much harder.....good luck.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was taught to start with a weight I could only do about 15 reps with to warm up. Then 3 to 4 more sets of a weight I can only do 3 - 6 with. I'm strength training obviously.

I have heard that another presses with dumbbells is that your arms work dependently and that has some effect on making sure you don't over do it.

I go slow, I workout intensely for about an hour and then I'll do another area of my body when everything feels recovered.

Since I split my routine up into: Upper body and Lower body I have seen the most results.

An hour of intense upper body then the next day intense lower body. Then start over when I feel good.

Unfortunately I have realized I'm going to need some more honed shoulder workouts with low weights to build the strength. I've felt some pops that just didn't sit right.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
My mom's right shoulder was making similar noises, at first when doing more strenuous stuff like gardening, and eventually whenever she lifted her right arm. Turns out she needs a shoulder replacement (she's going in on the 28th). You might be headed that way if you aren't already there. If nothing else, it sounds like your cartilage is wearing away.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll set up a doctors appointment.

I've never really done an intense strength training program so it might just be something with my shoulder I was never aware of.

Better to find any potential problems the easy way.