REVIEW: Wolf Eyes PILOT WHALE !!

Wattnot

Enlightened
Captain Ahab beware . . . . the Pilot Whale is coming for YOU!

IMG_0532.jpg

Hi All. It appears that Wolf Eyes is again first in the release of yet another envelope pushing flashlight. Introducing the highly anticipated SIX core Osram LED super flashlight, the Pilot Whale. Strange name . . . . killer light! Join me on this wonderful, visual journey down Bright Light Way (hey . . . if I ever get to develop a sub-division, I've got a great method for naming all of the streets!).

IMG_0477.jpg

Manufacturer's features and specifications (from WE's site):

• Model: Pilot Whale
  • Housing Material: Aircraft grade aluminum
  • Output Power: Up to 1000 Lumen
  • Continuous Runtime: 100 minutes on high
  • Lamp assembly: 6 chip Mega LED
  • Battery type: 3 - LRB168A Li-ion rechargeable
  • Body diameter: 45.6mm or 1.8" inches
  • Bezel diameter: 63.5mm or 2.5" inches
  • Length: 181.7mm or 7.2" inches
  • Weight: 430g or 15.2oz
  • Finish: Mil spec Hard Anodize Type III
  • Water Proof: Yes
  • Beam Characteristics: Flood with moderate throw
IMG_0472.jpg
From

left to right: AA battery - Eagletac M2C4 - Pilot Whale - TK40 - 2C Mag

Initial Impressions:

It's smaller than I expected it to be. From what pictures and info I read on the web, I expected this to dwarf the TK40. As you can see that's not the case. There seems to be no wasted space on this light. I kinda wish I had a WE Storm here for size comparison since they both take 3 18650's side by side in a magazine. The Pilot Whale fits the hand nicely and is very sleek looking. I'm not sure if LSD (acid) was involved in the naming of this light but they can call it whatever they want, as long as it delivers. Oh and yes, it delivers! It arrived in the largest box I've seen from Wolf Eyes yet. As it arrived I thought my wife had bought shoes online. The lanyard ring is similar to the one found on the Surefire M6 but there was no lanyard with mine. I confirmed with Mike at PTS-Flashlights and it DOES come with a lanyard. Perhaps Mike was fondling this one before he shipped it to me and it fell out! It is similar to the nice (but very long) lanyard from the WE Explorer, which you can see here.

The Pilot Whale is HAIII hard anodized and has a reverse clicky with an identical UI to the Sniper/Explorer. My sample did not contain any extra O-rings or clicky covers or anything else. Just the light, 3 of Wolf Eyes great 18650s and a battery charger. The charger plugs right into the battery magazine.. The finish is what I'll now call the standard Wolf Eyes matte finish since the newer lights all seem to have it. The whole head and body seem very solid and well balanced. Sorry but no tail standing with this one; you'd probably burn a hole in the ceiling anyway. The initial rumors I heard for this light involved it being certified for diving but that is not the case with the one I received. A future model (or future options for this model) will allow for that. I'll post the details as I get them. The output is very impressive. It's like WE says in their description: flood with moderate throw.

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

UI:

The Pilot Whale (ugh, that NAME!) has a reverse clicky. After turning it on, smooth half presses cycle through the preset intensities in descending order with HIGH always coming on first. None of the functions of this light are programmable. I don't find that to be a negative because they made some good choices for you. The three preset intensities are very diverse and I feel most people will be pleased. The SOS, strobe and beacon are contained in the "hidden" menu and I'll get to those below. The clicky has a great feel but isn't well suited for tactical signaling since it will change intensities followed by entering the hidden mode. If you grab the light and turn it on, it comes on HIGH. You get all ONE THOUSAND paint peeling lumens. For medium, low or hidden mode you simply half press (or full press fast enough, if you're into that) until it arrives at the desired intensity/mode. Changing modes on this light is much more natural with the reverse clicky verses the forward clicky found on the P7 Sniper/Explorer, which otherwise has the same interface. Wolf Eyes has come up with an excellent system to please both the SOS/STROBE lovers AND haters alike! It would be extremely difficult to accidentally end up with the strobe, sos or beacon (this light has all 3). To enter the "hidden" menu, as they call it for strobe/sos/beacon, you have to press/cycle 7 times (or in the case of the reverse clicky, turn it on then half press six times in a row). For example if you want strobe from the light being off you would half press through TWO cycles of HI-MED-LO then the seventh press would give you strobe. Once you do this you are now locked into the hidden menu and it will cycle STROBE-SOS-BEACON instead of HI-MED-LOW. At this point the ONLY way back to the other world is to shut it off for 2 seconds.

IMG_0478.jpg

Logistics:

The instructions explain all of the features and functions well enough except where they say you have to wait 5 seconds for reset, I found that 2 seconds is enough. It doesn't list a working voltage but the batteries are in series and I measured 12.5 volts on nearly full batteries. There is no clip but it comes with a nice lanyard and the ring installed on the light is on there nice and sturdy. The PW cannot tailstand. I found one O-ring on each end (two total). The threads are good and came lightly greased. The reflector is deep, highly polished and has a light OP finish. The LED seemed a little off center to me at first but I might have still been in shock over seeing the SIX cores!! It seems well centered to me now but you be the judge from the close-up shot. If it is off, you can't tell from the beam. There is no knurling, just some smooth fluting but gripping and retaining this bad boy will be NO problem. The head unscrews right in the center but the seam is extremely well hidden amongst the ribbing/fins. The self contained and apparently sealed LED module is on fine threads inside the head and takes a lot of turns to remove. All of my 18650 brands fit and I found no rattle at all. The battery holder doubles as the charger (you leave the cells in the carrier to charge) but I'm not sure if it contains any electronics that would aid in charging. That means it could very well be the typical WE system that relies on the PCB in each cell to terminate the charge. It's been said this is not an optimal charging method but it works because I charged it up using this system and the voltage was the same in all 3 batteries: about 4.18 volts (analog meter but all readings were identical and a hair below 4.2). Mike at PTS said the batteries will remain fairly balanced and users should be okay unless they run the batteries down so low that they cut out, in which case a balance would be in order. When you plug the charging lead into the port on the battery magazine, the light on the charger turns red to indicate charging and green when the charge is complete. The battery magazine has three tiny red LEDs on the bottom (see photo) that light up when the switch is in the ON position. I'm not sure if that has any function except to say "cool" when you see it. The switch does not have to be in the ON position for charging.

IMG_0487.jpg

Current draw:

The current draw on high is 1.3 amps. That might seem low but keep in mind we're dealing with 11.1 to 12.6 volts. That 1.3 amp measurement is taken from the batteries NOT the emitter. Medium was 420ma and low was 41ma. Again, don't let the low amperage figures fool you. The higher voltage makes up for it. By ohms law this light is consuming 16.38 watts where the Eagletac M2C4 is consuming 12.6 watts. DISCLAIMER for the techy-types ready to pounce on me: Those figures are more rating or theoretical since I used the voltage of fresh off the charger cells and did not account for voltage dip under load.

IMG_0498.jpg

In the hands of "babes:"

This is the part of the review where I take the light over to my neighbor Joe and get his "I don't care about flashlights the way you care about flashlights" opinion. He is a highly skilled mechanic and has an impressive array of tools but to him a flashlight is a good old stock Mag. I've been slowing converting him but there's no "passion" as with our group so this makes him the perfect subject. I handed him the light and the first thing he said was he liked the feel. He was referring to the weight as well as the grip. Joe liked the apparent quality too. He felt the light was very strong and stout and could take a good beating. I had to help him find the concealed mode but he managed to find the 3 levels on his own. He preferred the reverse clicky over the forward clicky of the Explorer I recently reviewed.

IMG_0490.jpg

The beam and white walling:

The beam is pretty good. It has some tiny imperfections that only some CPF-ers would see but considering what's making the beam, a rectangular, six core emitter, it's pretty darn good. It's mostly round too, which is a little surprising. The donut hole is only obvious under 1 foot. The tint is nice and white. There are no rings as it goes right from large hotspot to spill. Nice job, Wolf Eyes. White wall hunters will be mostly pleased and good luck finding those imperfections out in the wild.

IMG_0491.jpg

Pilot Whale left - EagleTac M2C4 right

IMG_0492.jpg

Pilot Whale left - EagleTac M2C4 right - underexposed

PWM:

Using my highly scientific method of pointing the light into a fan, I detected no PWM at all on any level.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Now we'll move on to what you've all been waiting for . . . the BEAMSHOTS! In all pictures with two lights, the Pilot Whale is on the LEFT. Captions appear below each photo. I couldn't put the lights side by side at the longer distances because I ran out of "house." The main competitor for this light, as I see it, is the EagleTac M2C4 with the P7 emitter supposedly putting out 900 lumens. The two seem fairly close and I'm sure many of you will be studying those back and forth for a while.

IMG_0502.jpg

Pilot Whale - 50 feet.

IMG_0503.jpg

M2C4 - 50 feet

IMG_0504.jpg

Pilot Whale - EagleTac M2C4

IMG_0506.jpg

Pilot Whale 100 feet

IMG_0507.jpg

M2C4 100 feet

IMG_0508.jpg

Pilot Whale - M2C4 - 100 feet

IMG_0511.jpg

Pilot Whale 150 feet

IMG_0512.jpg

M2C4 150 feet

IMG_0523.jpg

Pilot Whale 300 feet

IMG_0525.jpg

M2C4 300 feet

Conclusions:

What a year this has been for new lights! They keep getting brighter and brighter and even a little smaller. You've seen the pictures, this thing is a MONSTER! I'm predicting you're going to be very happy after the UPS guy (or that UPS gal in the tight shorts, if you're that lucky) shows up with your new Pilot Whale. Congratulations to Wolf Eyes and Osram for bringing this awesome, compact and super bright light to the eagerly awaiting market.

This is no EDC but you won't care how you got it there after you turn it on! It's even impressive when it's light outside! People are going to think you ripped a landing light off of a Learjet. The price is up there (mid two fifties) but it does deliver and you won't be disappointed. It's still a whole lot cheaper than an M6 and it's all ready to recharge with its' own charger built in. It would have been great if you could plug the charger in through the tailcap but that would have made waterproofing extremely difficult.

The EagleTac turned out to be a very worthy opponent and there isn't a clear winner in some of the shots . . . but I feel the Pilot Whale edged it out at 300 feet and perhaps the underexposed shot as well. In the shots were they look tied, or if it appears that the EagleTac won, look again at the hotspot, corona and spill. These two lights are rated within 100 lumens of each other so we're talking a difference of about 10 percent and I believe the shots reflect that small difference.

So I say BUY IT! But then I always say that. Here are my ratings: Overall I give it a 9. The output is a 10 (11 if you're a Spinal Tap fan because this one does go to 11). The fit and finish gets a 9.5. The UI gets an 9. It has all of the loved (and hated) "bells and whistles" so for features I'll give it a 9. Perceived durability gets a 9.5.

There are many fine retailers for this light but I recommend www.PTS-Flashlights.com for great prices and great service. CPF members who set up an account receive special pricing on everything they sell.

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
I did a heat up test. The first 5 minutes it barely even got warm. Approaching 10 minutes it got significantly warm. I let it go up to 15 minutes, no passive or active cooling at all, and it got very warm. It was borderline uncomfortable to hold. There was no noticable decrease in light.

Last edited:

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Thanks for the review ...

Isn't the EagleTac significantly less money than the WE?

Like 150ish for the Eagletac versus ... 270ish for the WE?

Honestly, not trying to start somethin' ... but for that significant price difference I would have a hard time turning down the EagleTac based on your beamshots.

Personally though, the WE is much, much more attractive.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think these companies need to spend a bit more time tamming the beam so they arnt all just floody lights, im sure with a bit of r&d they could pull of a normal flashlight beam with a throwy hotspot to go with all the flood. not very impressive, could be any old reflector and lens with that amount of light it was always guna be a big flood light
imagine a 1000 lumen tk11 beam :)
just a thought ill shut up now...enjoy ! BTW id still buy one haha

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for a nice review. I would love to see a comparison beamshots with TK40 ;)

AbleArcher

Newly Enlightened
You've never heard of it but we have lots of cows
Nice review Wattnot, thanks for taking the time to put us all out of our misery !

I have a WE Storm and from your beamshots the Whale doesn't appear to be much more (if any) throwy than that, so aside from the increase in overall brightness I don't really see much point in getting one of these.

And continuing the comments made by you and the previous posters, I think the only reason I'd buy a WE in preference to an M2 would be the thought of having an Ostar 6-die light in my collection.

hivoltage

Enlightened
How would this compare to a Raptor I just bought? And all I can see are the dang res X's, no pictures:scowl:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. :) It has a very nice beam profile. I wonder how's this light compared to Ultrafire RL2088.

Smart to shoot it against a blue background, I can almost imagine water spurting out of the light now.

Patriot

Flashaholic
How would this compare to a Raptor I just bought? And all I can see are the dang res X's, no pictures:scowl:

Two totally different classes of light livoltage. The raptor is a low lumen thrower, this light is a larger, high lumen flood with triple the output.

It looks very nice and I'm excited about this light. On the down side it seems rather expensive when compared to the TK40, EagleTac, and other multi-die emitters. Does anyone else feel as though they may have missed the price point of the others a bit. Maybe the extra cost is due to the Osram but the difference still seems too high.

Your thoughts Wattnot?

EDIT: P.S. Oddly enough I really like the name. Typically I wouldn't but in the days of M1Xs, TK40, M2X, M2C4, M2XC4, M30.... etc, it's a nice change.

Also, I really like the looks of the head and body, but the tailcap is classic WE which has always been a slight turn off to me. Overall the light is attractive imo.

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like a real nice light and I love WE lights! I am sure the build quality on it is second to none, as are my WE's, but there is no way that is putting out 1000 lumens. The Eagletac appears to be just as bright, going by your beamshots. I may still get one of these, but will wait for the price to drop. Thanks for the review!

Mike

strinq

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. :) It has a very nice beam profile. I wonder how's this light compared to Ultrafire RL2088.

Smart to shoot it against a blue background, I can almost imagine water spurting out of the light now.

I know the ultrafire would blow it away in terms of output.
There was a review on the ultrafire (too lazy to search now), that has beamshots that showed it being wayyy brighter than the M2.

Guessing it at about 1000 lumens OTF.

Quality wise I have no idea.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks for the very nice review.

The light seems very nicely built.

One thing that occurs to me though is why buy a light with an O-star that consumes 16W when the SSC-P7 and MC-E 12W lights are just as bright?

I can only assume that the O-star must be less efficient.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Thanks for the compliments! I enjoy doing these, especially since I have to justify the bunch of money I just spent on camera equipment!

Thanks for a nice review. I would love to see a comparison beamshots with TK40 ;)

I can tell you that the TK40 would probaby have a smaller and brighter hotspot and would win at the 300 foot mark because the TK40 can throw more. I have shots against the M2CX4 that I didn't include for the same reason. It's a different catagory. Throwers vs. flooders isn't fair, is it? I don't want to skew the results.

Nice review Wattnot, thanks for taking the time to put us all out of our misery !

I have a WE Storm and from your beamshots the Whale doesn't appear to be much more (if any) throwy than that, so aside from the increase in overall brightness I don't really see much point in getting one of these.

And continuing the comments made by you and the previous posters, I think the only reason I'd buy a WE in preference to an M2 would be the thought of having an Ostar 6-die light in my collection.

It looks very nice and I'm excited about this light. On the down side it seems rather expensive when compared to the TK40, EagleTac, and other multi-die emitters. Does anyone else feel as though they may have missed the price point of the others a bit. Maybe the extra cost is due to the Osram but the difference still seems too high.

Your thoughts Wattnot?

As I was taking these shots, I was at first a little disappointed that the PW didn't clearly beat the Eagletac. The reason was the higher rated output and higher cost. I try to keep the reviews objective. So far I've only done reviews on products I like. For those struggling to justify the higher price the PW is better built and does not seem to have any of those minor issues like the M2 series (tailcap, accidental strobe, etc.). It also takes 3 batteries so runtime is going to be longer. It's balanced and made with thicker stock. It has a better UI and has the beacon and SOS features too. I know some of you consider those useless but if Tom Hanks had one of these instead of a soccer ball and an ice skate it would have been a much shorter movie.

What would have pushed this light over the top is if it had come like we originally heard, as a certified diving light. On the PTS site there is a mention of an optional tailcap for diving. Perhaps they should have included that. None of our typical IPX8 lights are suitable for diving. If the PW came ready for SCUBA then there would probably be no questioning the higher price. BTW the price is right around a $100 difference when you apply our discount.

Excellent review there Wattnot. This thing is definitely impressive to say the least. How well built would you say that the battery carriage is? Nice beamshots too by the way.

The battery mag is very sturdy desipite the thin rods and disks it's made with. I hope to find that it has circuitry that assists in charging because charging 3 18650s in series raises questions. There must be something in there because all 3 batteries point in the same direction so there's a circuit printed on the other side of those disks, I'm sure!

BTW, I googled the name and a Pilot Whale is the name of a specific species of whale. I didn't know that so now the name makes a little more sense. It's not that bad, really. I was just poking a little fun at it!

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yay Wattnot!

Thank you so much for this great review! I'm on cloud 9 since I had been dying for more info on this neat light.

I agree so much with the above... EagleTac has hit a home-run with the M2 series and it caused me some pain to see it nearly as good (and, frankly, in some shots better/brighter) than this big dog... but oh well, I really would like a Wolf Eyes light in my collection and the Osram is also really neat, so it will certainly get a lot of use from me.

I will be interested in the what the techies figure out about this light:
a) the true OTF lumens
b) the efficiency of the Osram vs. the P7 vs. the MC-E
c) True water proof/resistance

I couldn't agree more that if this were set up to be a diving light, this would be something really special as is. Wolf Eyes--please make it happen!

I can't wait to get mine!!

lovecpf