Ultraviolet Urine Detection

oldtimer

Enlightened
What's the best flashlight for finding organic matter?

I'm looking for something that will help me find dog urine in the carpet. Can someone recommend a good one? Thanks.

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: What's the best flashlight for finding organic matter?

There's a similar thread just started about this, so I'll merge the two.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
The Arc AAA UV works just fine. Used it ALOT(!) when we were training my wifes Yorkie. :ohgeez:

$486!!! You can do way better than that. Buy any led light, and have someone mod it for you, save $$$. :)

oldtimer

Enlightened
The Arc AAA had been out of stock since January according to a thread here.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Yes, those DX lights are great and work perfectly for what you want to do. Very bright and an exceptional price.

But just don't go shining it in your own bathroom or you will be totally grossed out. Even areas you THINK are clean may not be at all. . . . .

Also fun for going out at night and spotting critters that glow and flowers that have UV coloration that we cannot see but bugs can. . . .

leper

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for those replies.

I ended up with the one shown in the Steambrite site.

Works quite well. Better if the room is dimmed.

...going to be using it for carpet cleaning inspections.

Thanks again. very much.

Grant.

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to dredge this thread back up, but i am in need of portable UV lights that are bright enough that they can be used without turning off the room lights. Preference would be for AA lights. I need these to supply some inspectors. They will be used to detect rodent urine around food processing areas. Also, I have read that yellow goggles or safety glasses help detect the fluorescence form the urine. Has anyone tried to use them with the UV light? Oh yeah, I need something that puts out somewhere around 365 nm (UV long wave). I have a Streamlight UV stylus, but it' snext to worthless unless the room is VERY dark.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to dredge this thread back up, but i am in need of portable UV lights that are bright enough that they can be used without turning off the room lights. Preference would be for AA lights. I need these to supply some inspectors. They will be used to detect rodent urine around food processing areas. Also, I have read that yellow goggles or safety glasses help detect the fluorescence form the urine. Has anyone tried to use them with the UV light?

dont know how useful this will be but i have this light. the host failed on me but the drop in is working fine. On 2xCR123 its very powerful, i can see the UV under fluoroscent lights.

rje58

Enlightened
What night vision device are you using for this? You can't see the results with the naked eye, right?

C.F.Burgess Battery

Newly Enlightened
Our UV Flourescent Safari lite was used for that and forensics and used also for hunting scorpions ...

Later this summer we will have our UV Safari back in production , but , nothing as of this moment ...

ImGeo

Newly Enlightened
You're thinking of IR. UV is mostly visible to the unaided eye.
Nope. Both UV and IR are invisible to the human eye. They're supposed to be. If you can see it, it's either violet or red--and of course, most LEDs emit mostly in the UV/IR range, but still has some light in the visible wavelengths.

If you had a true UV light (black lights are pretty close), mostly everything will seem dark, unless they fluoresce. Fluorescence (in layman's terms) is the process of absorbing a higher energy (UV) light, and then emitting a lower energy light (yellow, green, etc). If you shined UV light on a regular surface, it won't do much, but on surfaces such as bleached clothing, fluorescent highlighters, certain flowers, rocks, etc, they will glow brightly.

On the other hand, IR usually does not cause objects to emit light--rather you'll need special goggles or other nightvision device to see IR.