Mag623 build

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!

I have been searching/learning from these forums for months now.Though, only a few weeks ago did I sign up for an account because it looked like most of the good parts are only ordered through these great forums :). I am very new to flashlight modding and was wondering if anyone could help me.
So far, I have tried the Terralux 5ex drop-in for the 2XAA maglite, the Terralux 300M for the 4D, the malkoff drop-in for the 4 D maglite, and then I jumped into making a 2D MagRop using eneloops. Then, I bought a NiteCore EZ AA to compare. It's really fun and very addicting doing this kind of thing. I can't believe I have already spent so much money!
However, after reading more into other types of maglite mods, I noticed one called the Mag623. This is something that IMO looks awesome. I understand that it's probably not practical due to the short run times but I was looking for something that would "wow" the friends =). The MagRop is cool, but I guess it just isn't "wow" enough for the friends :).
In any case, I have a list of things that I "think" I would need for this build. I am not sure if this is all I need or if maybe there is something better.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone could give :)

1. 1X cool looking 2D silver maglite "tri-bore" finned head: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156080
2. OSRAM 64623: http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=os...=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=osram+64223&_osacat=0
3. AW Driver: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177316
4. Battery Charger: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330342935612
5. Boro Lens: Have this from Rop
6. Alum Reflector: Have this from Rop

In addition to the above, I was looking into some battery packs to power this thing. I found numerous links to LuxLuthers battery packs, though, when I finally made the decision to try to build one of these things I saw that the thread was closed. Would anyone know of anyone else selling battery packs for the Mag623?
If not, it's ok, I will attempt to build a pack using the elite 1500's. If anyone knows of a better way for the battery pack build or the whole build in general that would be awesome.
I have searched the forums but it looks like most of the information is back in 2008? I could be wrong of course but I just wanted to make sure that the information back then is still current. I also just wanted to say …… these forums are AWESOME!!!
lovecpf

lolzertank

Enlightened
You might need to check your reflector's bulb opening. The 64623 is pretty large. IIRC, it needs a 12mm bulb opening. There are also other threads about this light, try searching for them.

Wicked Lasers makes a pack, but from the price and people's reports about how bad their "Torch" is in general, I wouldn't recommend it. You could always go for a 3D, 4 of AW's IMR26500s, some pvc/cardboard and a good Li ion charger. You'll gain a few more minutes of runtime and a couple hundred extra lumens.

Oh, and :welcome:

supasizefries

Enlightened
I can only speak for my own experience with Wicked Laser's battery pack. I've had it for a couple months now for my 623 and to date, it works fine. I've charged the pack probably 5-6 times and it works like it should. That being said the Incan authorities here on the forum recommend the 13th cell for the 623 to really shine bright. Also you might want to look into JimmyM's hot wire regulator.

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!
I looked into the wicked battery pack and for the price it looks great =).
I guess I got a bit more research to do.... Thank you for the heads up on the reflector opening.... Cant believe I missed that one :shakehead

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now with PWM regulation mine and Alan's, the battery pack voltage is not quite so important any more. The more cells you can squeeze into the light, the better. It will add runtime while not over driving the bulb beyond the voltage you set.
I see above that the 13th cell was mentioned. As a previous owner of a Mag623 with the 13th cell. It's a real component in the WOW factor area. There was a post here somewhere (sorry I can't find it immediately) comparing a 12 cell Mag623 to a 13 cell version. BIG difference.
With PWM regulation you can do...
Elite1500 2/3A
3x6 (18 cells) in a 3D
3x8 (24 cells) in a 4D

A no-boring option may be...
Elite1700 AA
3x6 (18 cells) in a 5D
3x7 (21 cells) in a 6D

The Lithium options opened up by AWs 26500 and 26650 cells are...
4x26500s (only 14.8V)
5x26500s May fit in a 4D with a short tail spring
5x26650s in a 5D

The bottom line, however, is that to get more than 8 minutes of run time with the voltage in the WOW range (15.2V), you need to use more cells and PWM regulation.

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened
hmm...
Now with that option, it makes me think...
I should really decide on what size host I should use.
The 2D mag was most attractive but now I have to think to maybe get something bigger.....

Thanks for the info!!!

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm...
Now with that option, it makes me think...
I should really decide on what size host I should use.
The 2D mag was most attractive but now I have to think to maybe get something bigger.....

Thanks for the info!!!
That's it, ipfreeze. Drink the Kool-aid. Bigger, brighter, longer lasting.
That's why we're all here.

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened
I can only speak for my own experience with Wicked Laser's battery pack. I've had it for a couple months now for my 623 and to date, it works fine. I've charged the pack probably 5-6 times and it works like it should. That being said the Incan authorities here on the forum recommend the 13th cell for the 623 to really shine bright. Also you might want to look into JimmyM's hot wire regulator.

Im trying to weigh my options with the batteries.
Just a quick question, would this battery pack fit in a stock mag host? Or would I need it tri-bored?

That's it, ipfreeze. Drink the Kool-aid. Bigger, brighter, longer lasting.
That's why we're all here.
lol, yes, I know what you mean ..... My wife will be taking over our bank account soon :( Thank you for all the info!

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
4 x IMR26500s fit in a 3D Mag.

Advantages I see:
No boring required.
Each of the 4 cells can be utilized for other lights
Easy to replace a cell if needed
More capacity than NiMh Elites 2/3AA or AA cells.
"LSD Like" characteristics of the IMR cells.

I can't see a difference in output when comparing 623 bulb on 15.6V 2/3AA Elite Nimh pack to 623 on 4 x IMR26500.

The Elite NiMh packs in tri configuration do require triboring the Mag host.
See Fivemegas example here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/197038

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened
4 x IMR26500s fit in a 3D Mag.

Advantages I see:
No boring required.
Each of the 4 cells can be utilized for other lights
Easy to replace a cell if needed
More capacity than NiMh Elites 2/3AA or AA cells.
"LSD Like" characteristics of the IMR cells.

I can't see a difference in output when comparing 623 bulb on 15.6V 2/3AA Elite Nimh pack to 623 on 4 x IMR26500.

The Elite NiMh packs in tri configuration do require triboring the Mag host.
See Fivemegas example here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/197038

Sweet! Thanks!! Wow, so many options to choose from! I really like the idea of not having to bore out the host... hmm..... what to do what to do :thinking:

ejot

Enlightened
The 3D/4xIMR26500 is a very simple solution. Not a whole lot of creativity needed; you pretty much buy the parts, assemble, and you're done. I just recently chose this route for my first incan build, being a beginner to all this.

The only real mod work I had to do was reshape the spring to sit at the bottom of the tailcap, and remove the ano there. The total length of the batteries is too long to use the stock spring seat.

In the past, people have reported a tight or impossible fit of the 26500's in 1" ID PVC tubing as a battery sleeve. I'm not sure if AW's batteries have recently gotten slightly slimmer, or if I found tubing with a slightly larger ID than most, but I didn't have this problem. My batteries were about Ø1.029" and the nominally-1" ID PVC I found was 1.051" ... so it was a very nice, free fit.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3D/4xIMR26500 is a very simple solution. Not a whole lot of creativity needed; you pretty much buy the parts, assemble, and you're done. I just recently chose this route for my first incan build, being a beginner to all this.

The only real mod work I had to do was reshape the spring to sit at the bottom of the tailcap, and remove the ano there. The total length of the batteries is too long to use the stock spring seat.

In the past, people have reported a tight or impossible fit of the 26500's in 1" ID PVC tubing as a battery sleeve. I'm not sure if AW's batteries have recently gotten slightly slimmer, or if I found tubing with a slightly larger ID than most, but I didn't have this problem. My batteries were about Ø1.029" and the nominally-1" ID PVC I found was 1.051" ... so it was a very nice, free fit.
Did you mod the switch?
I may try the 4xIMR26500 in a 3D Mag138. Maybe 6xIMR26500 in a 5D, but 3D is a nice size. The 62138 bulb has a nice small filament so it will focus well in a standard size reflector. It works well at 13.8V and 4xIMR26500s will be at 3.48V/ea when it drops out of regulation. The 62138 draws a little less current at a given voltage than the 64623

edit: A compromise might be 5xIMR26500s in a 4D.

Last edited:

Brewdog2001

Newly Enlightened
Building my Mag623 as follows:

• Maglight D Size Host - Red
  • Mag D Incan Driver/Soft Start & Muti-Level
  • Borofloat Lens
  • Smooth Camless Aluminum Reflector
  • 4 AW IMR 26500's
  • PVC pipe as D>C sleeve
  • Osram 64623 Lamp
Thanks to RichS for his guidance as this is my first incan build.

lovecpf

ipfreeze

Newly Enlightened

• Borofloat Lens
  • 4 AW IMR 26500's
  • PVC pipe as D>C sleeve
  • Osram 64623 Lamp

lovecpf

What size PVC did you use? Would I be able to purchase it from somewhere like homedepot? Or would this be an online order?

Thanks!

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

• Borofloat Lens
  • 4 AW IMR 26500's
  • PVC pipe as D>C sleeve
  • Osram 64623 Lamp

lovecpf
I still think you should go regulated. Multiple levels, low voltage warnings, etc. for less money.

ejot

Enlightened
What size PVC did you use? Would I be able to purchase it from somewhere like homedepot? Or would this be an online order?

Thanks!
You can pick it up at Home Depot. Just ask for "1-inch PVC pipe, schedule 40" (the white kind). Depending on the manufacturer and batch, AW IMR26500 may be a correct, tight, or impossible fit. Bringing a batt with you may not be a bad idea.