Camping Tips - money saving ideas for your next camping trip

green1706

Newly Enlightened
Homemade Equipment

1. Channel lock pliers make good pot holders.

2. Make an oven by lining a moving box with aluminum foil and pushing coat hangers through both sides about half way up the box to form your grill. Put coals in a pan and put the pan on three stones on the bottom of the box. Close the doors (lid) and bake away.

3. Canning rings can be use to cook your eggs in for egg sandwiches. (Works well for English Muffins or Hamburger buns).

4. Nylon rope can be used as shoe laces.

5. Use a large zip lock plastic bag, filled with air, as a pillow.

6. Plastic butter tubs make good storage containers for your camp kitchen. (Not a good idea to use in a backpack).

7. A plastic bottle makes a good latrine for cold weather camping. (You don't have to 'go' very far from your sleeping bag). Keep it just out side the tent flap.

8. An old closed cell foam exercise pad will make a passable sleeping pad.

:hitit:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, There are many types of "camping". Are we talking about camping like taking your kids to a campground, setting up the tent, and just making short hikes, or more like - "hike into no-where" and camp there?

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, great first post! Your oven idea sounds like it would work pretty well... Perhaps I will make pizza next camping trip :)

Scottiver

Enlightened
Sounds more like tips on being homeless. :D
I've been fine tuning my camping gear for years so I have at least three of everything needed for 1st class camping. Some of your ideas may work for someone just starting out or in an emergency, but it doesn't cost much to get some basic decent quality gear.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to me that when camping or backpacking, you need to find a balance between comfort/safety and cost. After all, I can sleep on the ground without a sleeping mat or with a cheap closed cell foam one from Walmart for $6, but my back will hurt in the morning. I prefer to have a lightweight self inflating sleeping mat. It costs a lot, but it's cheaper than a chiropractor. I can camp, hike, and backpack without a flashlight or headlight, but the odds are that I'd get hurt walking around at night without one. A decent $30 headlight is much cheaper than a trip to the emergency room.

Any gear that I plan to use for years, I try to find the best and most durable at a decent price. That makes it the cheapest in the long run. Instead of shopping at bargain basement stores, I shop online and compare prices. REIoutlet.com often has top of the line gear at great discounts. I have a Costco and Sam's Club card and sometimes they carry gear and food I need for a trip at the cheapest price. Walmart carries freeze dried food for backpacking at a good price. Costco carries 4 lb. bags of trail mix for around $10 and 1 lb. of beef or turkey jerkey for $11. Remember to shop around for price savings. Don't stick to one store for getting everything for the trip. Sport Chalet sells some reasonably priced backpacks, sleeping bags, and butane canisters (220 gram Brunton canisters are $3.29). REIoutlet.com is a good place to get backpacks, tents, stoves, and clothes. I stick to REI for the most durable items because they have a decent warranty and are well built. This includes stoves, water filters, and tents. Big 5 Sporting Goods sells cheap knives, backpacks, and sleeping bags. Fry's Electronics sells Swiss Army Knives at decent prices. I shop around for backpacks as many places carry good packs at reasonable prices. For backpacking, I currently carry a Jansport Big Bear 5000 ci backpack ($80 from REIoutlet.com when I bought it), a Katadyn Hiker Water Filter ($60), an MSR Whisperlite ($80+ w/ fuel bottle) or Pocket Rocket ($40) stove, a Princeton Tec EOS headlight ($30 from REI sale), and a Fenix P3D Q5 flashlight ($60). My tent varies based on season, location, weather, and if I'm camping or backpacking. During winter, I use either a Coleman Cadence 3 4 season tent ($160)or a Kelty Orb 2 4 season tent ($200). I don't mess around with cheap tents in winter. Fiberglass poles become brittle and break, cheap tents leak more frequently, and don't retain heat. Two wall tents are the only comfortable way to go in winter. During 3 season camping, I have an REI Hobitat 4 tent ($90 at an REI clearance sale). During the other three seasons when backpacking I use an Integral Designs bug tent, and two I.D. Silponchos with velcro sewn on one end of each. This setup costs a fortune for what it is, but weighs practically nothing. The fly is two ponchos that velcro together so the weight is split between two people and has a second needed purpose so it adds no extra weight. The tent poles are trekking poles so they actually help take weight off your back instead of adding to it. The Bug Tent, stakes, and guylines (Spectra cord) weigh under 2 lbs. and that's for 2 people.

It may sound weird to spend a lot of money to save money, but think of it as more of an investment. Good gear can last longer than cheap gear replaced over and over again. Good stoves, especially backpacking stoves that are field maintainable last years longer than stoves that have to be replaced the first time the jet gets clogged. Good l.e.d. lights pay for themselves in savings from batteries and bulbs long before they stop working. Rechargeable Eneloop batteries will save a lot of money for camping trips vs. alkalines. For camping trips, invest in a bulk propane tank, distribution tree, hoses, propane lantern, and propane stove. In the U.S., a gallon of propane is under $3.00 last time I checked. White Gas/Coleman fuel is up to $8.50 a gallon at Walmart. Investing in a setup for propane will save a lot of money in the long run.

Since my gear is made to last, it costs less in the long run. Reliability is needed in the backcountry. There is more to lose than money if your gear fails when you need it the most. While you can get away pretty cheap for camping in three seasons, know the weather and climate conditions, know the area, and don't use gear that you think won't survive the conditions if you are depending on it. For backpacking, buy the lightest, most durable gear you can afford, try it out on camping trips first, and don't push your limits the first time out. You'll either get hurt, or come back after vowing to never go backpacking again.

andrew123

Newly Enlightened
I agree completely. When I go backcountry canoeing, I have to have my gear working poperly and not breaking. Like my canoeing buddy always says "It's a long way to the hospital." and pretty much anywhere else for that matter. You want to buy quality and sometimes expensive products, they will last and be there when you need it.