Spyderco Native Blade Question

Torpedo Vegas

Newly Enlightened
My father lost his Spyderco Native that he got from Wal-Mart and I am going to buy him another one. I know nothing about blade steal, but I have heard that the Wal-Mart Native used S30V for the blade material, which was described as making the knife worth double what Wal-Mart was charging. The Native III is made of VG-10. What is better? My father has been very impressed with the one he got at Wal-Mart and I just dont want to go with the Native III if the blade material is noticeable different.

Edit: Any thoughts on Native vs Delica? He got the Native because it was the only model Wal-Mart was carrying here.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
VG-10 and S30V are about the hardest stainless steels that can be sharpened. S30V is a little harder than VG-10, but VG-10 is much easier to sharpen. A decent stainless steel is 440C. 154CM holds an edge twice as long. VG-10 and S30V hold an edge 3 or 4 times as long as 440C with the same edge. Since VG-10 and S30V are stronger steels, you can actually get a sharper edge on them so it isn't uncommon for a sharper edge on these better steels to last 10 times as long as 440C and cheaper steels. S30V, from what I've heard, is a pain in the butt to sharpen. VG-10 is much easier to sharpen while only sacrificing a little strength. Keep that in mind when deciding which is better. If an S30V blade isn't sharpened to the same sharp edge as a VG-10 blade (remember that it's harder for the manufacturer to sharpen as well as for you), the VG-10 blade will hold it's edge longer. Also remember that Spyderco will resharpen your knife for free for life (although you have to pay to ship it to them each time). In my opinion, I think you'll be happy with either steel. By the way, Walmart cleared out all the Spidercos in all my local stores. If you still have a Walmart that carries it, get it while you can.

Last edited:

Torpedo Vegas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great info Fenix. Since they are similar I think I will go with the Native III. I think the wire pocket clips are much easier on the pocket

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have heard that they only appear fragile, but are really very solid. Have you had a bad experience? Anyone else had a bad experience with the wire clips?

Stop by the forums at Spyderco.com (Family friendly, just like CPF).

The solid clips on other Native models is definitely stronger. Experiences vary, obviously. But overall, a bit more care is needed with the wire clips.

Torpedo Vegas

Newly Enlightened

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
I'm much more of a knife person than a flashlight guy. The difference between S30V and VG-10 is negligible for the average user.The difference between 440C and S30V isn't as great as HOF has explained (no offense to HOF). The wire clips should work fine. The breaking seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

The bigger differences that you'll prpbably want to consider is that the Native III in VG-10 has "3D" handles. They provide a more comfortable grip but are wider in the pocket. So you should consider which one is more important to you: carry-ability or ergos. Generally, ergos shouldn't be that much of a concern as the S30V doesn't have bad ergos. The VG-10 Native just has better ergos. PErsonally, I like the Native III better and don't care about the wider in pocket carry.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Not sure about the Native III, but the Native as sold at Walmart is made in Golden Colorado, USA made.

Bill

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about the Native III, but the Native as sold at Walmart is made in Golden Colorado, USA made.

Bill

The Native III, having VG-10 steel means it was made in Seki, Japan. There's no noticeable quality difference because it wasn't made in the US. But if being made in the US matters, then definitely go for the S30V version.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The Native III, having VG-10 steel means it was made in Seki, Japan. There's no noticeable quality difference because it wasn't made in the US. But if being made in the US matters, then definitely go for the S30V version.

Not advising one way or the other, just adding to the conversation.

Bill

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Bill

Yeah, the ones sold through Wal-Mart represent an excellent bargain.... Too bad they're only sold through select Wal-Mart outlets. There are two near me, and neither one has (nor has ever had) the Native III in stock. :(

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Not quite sure what this post means and I don't like jumping to conclusions. Are you saying that I'm not contributing to this thread because I didn't advise him in my post?

No, you are contributing just fine. We both contributed. Sharing info is what is so great about CPF.

Bill