Innovative and high-quality Rofis flashlight
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fenix TK12

Default Fenix TK12

A little surprised not to find a thread on this light here. Are we really getting bored of 'normal' 123 tactical lights?

Some info here:

http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-tk12.html

Any comments?
    Then it comes to be that the soothing light
    At the end of your tunnel
    Was just a FREIGHT TRAIN coming your way...

Default Re: Fenix TK12

I was going to start this thread one hour ago but got busy haha

I think it looks ok.
    I much prefer the TK11 though.

The pocket clip would be a cool addition.

I think the peak of the design was the TK11 though.
    They are just going to start getting to complex with modes and other stuff now.

I also like the larger flat sides on the TK11.
    And the lack of 18650 support
    When I first saw it i was hoping to be blown away like I was with the TK11

More pics and info here

EDIT - Just found more info further down on OP's link lol
    Last edited by DimeRazorback; 07-20-2009 at 07:17 AM.

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Looks like Fenix decided to roll back the clock and take away the 18650 support and smooth reflector. So what we're left with is basically a TK10 with a couple of different predefined operating modes slapped on. Color me unimpressed

Does seem like they're gonna lose pretty badly to the T20C2...
    Lack of 18650 support is just plain bad.
    Then it comes to be that the soothing light
    At the end of your tunnel
    Was just a FREIGHT TRAIN coming your way...

lol nice find...too bad i just preordered a quarks....oh well

Flashaholic*

should try a "P3D" but running on an 18650
    (+ lower low)
    instead of another tactical model

No thanks

Flashaholic

No thank you, very happy and very simple interfase with the TK10 and TK11, no needs of complication here.

Flashaholic

I usually like checking out what Fenix is coming up with next. This light didn't do anything for me.
    Deus Vult

I have a TK10 with 225 Lumen, nice OP rflector, nice beam, solid as a tank. Then I got a TK11, 240 Lumen (R2), SMO reflector, a tank of light, good throw. Both lights look somwhat similar although there are differenes, the TK11 wins the contest and is the ugliest.

Now I am surprised to see a light that looks like the 10 and 11 exchanged some parts. The clip, which I never use but mounted on my 10 is probably the greatest inovation here. 225 Lumen out of a Q5? 3 different modes? Wow...

Fenix, do you want to loose your customers? I'm waiting for the EagleTac T20C2, the REALLY have an UI innovation by keeping it as simple as it always was, but adding strobe and Low for those who want them. They put a Q4 in it that offers 270 neutral white Lumen, that's the little difrence that makes me wanna buy, even it it looks like a copy of the Oligt M20...
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

The UI of the TK12 is too complicated. That or they described it too complicating.

Is it going to be a multi-mode through the tailcap? Where you twist the bezel to go into the three modes, then cycle the tailcap for the different options in each mode.

Or is the tailcap going to only momentary and constant one option and the bezel controls every mode and option?

I'm lost. I rather just not care.

from what i can tell, it looks like an interesting UI. its like 3 lights in one. the only complication is that you just have to choose which UI you want first (complicated twisting). then once thats set, you have any of three 2-level setups:

hi-med
    med-low
    hi-low

not great for on the fly access to any level, but a good set-and-forget for purpose-specific use. better viewed as a way to get rid of a mode you don't think you'd use. i.e. if you were camping you might want to ditch the 225lumens setting. and if its a daytime use, you may have no need for a low.
    Last edited by youreacrab; 07-20-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    should try a "P3D" but running on an 18650
    (+ lower low)
    instead of another tactical model

Do they still make a P3D or is it replaced by the PD30?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    No thanks
    +1!

More of the same ole...

Flashaholic*

low lows good, stoped me from buying the TK11, i understand the UI but CBA.

Flashaholic*

Don't understand why it has to be so complicated. Seems to be an awful lot of head twisting just to switch between two or three brightness levels.

There's gotta be an easier way . . .

Flashaholic*

I'm kind of liking the UI, it's like the Quark Tactical, except instead of programming the UI like you do with the Quarks, the Fenix has preset modes, which depending on if you feel that the Fenix 3 different presets are to your liking, might be a simpler UI to a simple but advanced 2 moder compared to the same head twists and then choosing the levels and waiting 10 seconds like you do with the Quarks. When I first saw the Tac Quark's UI I thought of a bunch of different combinations and the TK12's different modes were kind of similar to what I'd choose for each given situation, except Fenix's hunting would be more of a roadside emergency mode and camping would be 50 and 5 lumens, but I agree with the outdoor mode.

Those beamshots look like they have a nice clean beam, too bad they don't come in warm tints though. I wonder if perhaps the Tac Quarks may have given Fenix the inspiration for this light?
    Last edited by defloyd77; 07-20-2009 at 04:10 PM.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

I will not be buying this light any time soon

Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    I'm kind of liking the UI, it's like the Quark Tactical, except instead of programming the UI like you do with the Quarks, the Fenix has preset modes, which depending on if you feel that the Fenix 3 different presets are to your liking, might be a simpler UI to a simple but advanced 2 moder compared to the same head twists and then choosing the levels and waiting 10 seconds like you do with the Quarks. When I first saw the Tac Quark's UI I thought of a bunch of different combinations and the TK12's different modes were kind of similar to what I'd choose for each given situation, except Fenix's hunting would be more of a roadside emergency mode and camping would be 50 and 5 lumens, but I agree with the outdoor mode.

Those beamshots look like they have a nice clean beam, too bad they don't come in warm tints though. I wonder if perhaps the Tac Quarks may have given Fenix the inspiration for this light?
    In some of the beamshot photos, it almost doesn't even look like a TK12... unless the person has TINY hands

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

i think the UI on this is fine..its not that hard at all..rapid twisting of the head to switch the modes, and two switch from A to B you just tighten or loosen.

this is sorta like..a 3 in one flashlight...

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

if this would of been sold 6-7 months ago. i would of gladly bought one.

btu as i have the tk11 i dont think i need to get another tk style. even if the UI is an advancement in my mind on the tactical field of lights. still easy to use in normal use and option of pre picking the output you think you need next is good. but the option for lower low is one people ask alot too. so big plus for them.

but i do think the ring selector type wit click stops would be more convinient in my use. (and option to pick what the momentary does in each selected mode .. oops, im going back to my ideal flashlight thoughts again.. hhaha sorry)

the clip. isnt that from tk1?
    the op reflector from tk10?
    not bad idea to bring them back.. but they lost the 18650?

oh thats a bummer. definate miss on my book.

i dont neccessary need cr123 nor 18650s to be fully regulated etc.. but i do like the option of using either one of them if neccessary!

i wouldnt still mind a add-on of 4AA body tube for these kind of lights too.. cr123 18650 or AA with same head.. i just like LEGOs and onmivorous lights.. hahah..
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

225 lumens for 1.5 hours?? No thanks, my TK11R2 does 2.7hrs.

Hunting, camping and outdoor? I think most of us only need low, medium and turbo.

Ok, they have stuffed a couple of things from my perspective..

1. They should have used the R2 led (or something newer if it exists..) for a bit more power.

2. Mode changing is a bit complicated. Tail clicky should turn it on/off (which is what they have, so thats good), however, there should only be 3 modes (5ish, 60ish 240ish) and they should be changed by loosening and then tightening the head again (thus head is always tight). It should remember what output mode it was last in (which it does, so again, that is good)

3. I personally prefer the smooth reflector, but I can understand if most people prefer the TK10 styal reflector they would want to keep it like that.

4. They should have kept support for the other batteries (even though I dont use them....)

5. They havnt included the ring so you can get rid of that silly cigar grip thingo!!! AGAIN!! (I sent them an email when I got my TK11 to sook about that lol )

All in all I dont think i'll be buying it.. i'm still hanging out for a smooth reflectored TK40... :P

Pass...
    Take care

Smile Re: Fenix TK12

i will wait for the Tiablo A7 and will compare it

Enlightened

Yeah, it seems strange that Fenix are flooding the market with all these new flashlights that are pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    I'm kind of liking the UI, it's like the Quark Tactical, except instead of programming the UI like you do with the Quarks, the Fenix has preset modes, which depending on if you feel that the Fenix 3 different presets are to your liking...
    Exactly right!

I ordered 2 tactical Quarks (neutral white!) and felt immediately comfortable about the UI. OK, twisting 4 times may seem a little bit complicated, but it ensures you dont activate programming accidentely.

With that UI, I can customize my light as I want, I may even program twice the same brightness if I want a one-mode light. The designer listend to customers and actually thought about what he was doing. Fenix should listen too instead of doing re-packaging of the same old stuff.

Btw, I took part in their awarded questionnaire, won a P1D-CE (why not a Q5?) and have been waiting 6 months to be contacted to get it, my e-mail address was correct and no mail was stuck in the spam filter...
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

It's nicer looking than the TK11 (ugly because of those fins IMO - TK10 much nicer), but no 18650 support?

FAIL.
    Jetbeam Jet-IIIM | Jetbeam Jet-Ti M R2 | Solarforce L2M/L2P/L2T | Solarforce T1 | Quark 123 | Quark Mini CR2 Ti | MagicShine MJ-808E | Fenix P2D Q5 (Lost in North Korea) | Fenix UC40 UE

Since they can't please everyone by picking one order of levels (some of us will complain if it's low, medium, or high that comes on first), the ability to change that sounds like a good idea. But I wonder why changing modes couldn't have been as simple as choosing one of three different head/bezel positions, instead of:

When the flashlight is in output A:
    Screw the flashlight head for selecting the output from A -> B -> A -> B (just like loose -> tighten -> loose -> tighten within 0.5 seconds) to switch to the next mode.

When the flashlight is in output B:
    Screw the flashlight head for selecting the output from B -> A -> B -> A (tighten -> loose -> tighten -> loose -> tighten within 0.5 seconds) to switch to the next mode.

Mode sequence: Outdoor mode -> Camping mode -> Hunting mode.

Maybe if it had been simply a matter of turning the head to a certain position, it could be accidentally changed too easily, so the upside is there's no chance of ever being surprised by a strobe this way, if you leave it in camping mode for instance. Also changing modes would be relatively rare anyway, I'd pick the one I like & leave it there. So the complicated action might not be so bad in use. I actually like the idea, & would hope to see it in a smaller non-tactical size in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by brett174 View Post
    Yeah, it seems strange that Fenix are flooding the market with all these new flashlights that are pretty much the same.
    i share your opinion, looks like Fenix has reached its plateau.

or is it the LED technology stabilizing?

they should have another line of 2xCR123 lights in a leaner package (less weight), TK10, TK11 & TK12 have very similiar design. maybe a TS (Tactical Slim, design)?

i have he T1 & i personally prefer my Pelican M6 which is lighter in weight. unless the TK series has the option to swap the bulb module, that's a very different story.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast