Question about opening EDC Knives

Carter840

Newly Enlightened
So I am going to be getting an EDC knife in the next few weeks. I've narrowed it down to benchmade and these models: 705, 527, 556, and the 585. The 585 has the assist axis lock all other have the regular axis lock. I was just wondering is the assist needed, or can I just flick my wrist and have the blade pop open on these knives. I don't mean auto of course I mean is the balde heavy enough so that it can be swung open without using the thumb screw; i'm sure there is a term for this action but I don't know it.

Also how does one sharpen a Black caoted knife? I would assume that if you use a stone and sharpen to high on the edge that you will mess up the black finish in that area.

Also for know I am looking at a silver combo blade for all of these.

Thanks

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can flick open an axis lock as long as the pivot screw is loose enough and their is sufficient lubrication. Depending on where you get it from the pivot screw may be tightened down for shipping. That's how I received mine anyways.

Carter840

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any feed back on the assit axis lock? Do people feel it is a good addition or are they better off without it? Also which of the benchmades listed do people seem to like most.

Thanks

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
I haven't played with the assisted opening axis, but I've played with a bunch of manual and auto axis locks. The reason the axis lock is so popular is because of the convenience of the manual axis.

With the manual axis lock, not only can you open it just as fast as any auto, but you can close it faster generally speaking. So the assist on an axis seems like a waste of a good knife model design. The assisted opener and auto make it slower to close an axis lock and provide no advantage to convenience of opening or opening speed IMO.

If you're in the US, you probably will receive an axis lock knife that can easily swing open of closed. I understand that to get past customs in Canada, some dealers purposefully tighten the pivot. None of the ones I've received have been tightened as Oddjob described.

The 705 is a nice deisgn but the handle was too short for me and it seems to be a problem for many others. Your pinky finger will most likely have a hard time getting a grip on it.

I like the looks of the 585 design, but as mentioned above, I think the assisted opening is wasted on an axis lock.

The choice for me would be between the 527 and the 556. And though I like the general design of the 527, I like how the back of the handle on the 556 runs flush with the spine of the blade when opened. It makes for a much more comfortable grip and control of the blade IMO. Also, the steel on the 556 is overall superior to that steel on the 527. But to be honest, the steel difference wouldn't affect my buying decision since it's really negligible except for the steel snobs. Regular users of either knife will not notice the difference.

I'm much more of a knife fan than a flashlight fan so most of my EDC type forum time is spent on various knife forums. And in my experience, the difference between 154cm and 440C is minimal t the average guy.

mahoney

Enlightened
Benchmade's black coating is reasonably durable, but it will scuff if you use the blade on tough materials like hardwood. And yes sharpening will remove it, especially when it's time to "thin the edge". I also can't see a real good reason for an assist on an Axis lock knife, they are already very easy to open and close as is.

arcel1t

Newly Enlightened
So I am going to be getting an EDC knife in the next few weeks. I've narrowed it down to benchmade and these models: 705, 527, 556, and the 585. The 585 has the assist axis lock all other have the regular axis lock. I was just wondering is the assist needed, or can I just flick my wrist and have the blade pop open on these knives. I don't mean auto of course I mean is the balde heavy enough so that it can be swung open without using the thumb screw; i'm sure there is a term for this action but I don't know it.

Also how does one sharpen a Black caoted knife? I would assume that if you use a stone and sharpen to high on the edge that you will mess up the black finish in that area.

Also for know I am looking at a silver combo blade for all of these.

Thanks

I recently recived the 520 presidio. It uses the axis lock and have a great feel to it.
You can fling the blade open with your thumb on the blade thumb studs, ore you can hold the axis lock button and fling the blade up with the right wrist action.
You can also fling the blade back down while holding the axis lock button.

Here is a movie showing this action's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udX3Qk_9Iro

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The reason the axis lock is so popular is because of the convenience of the manual axis.

With the manual axis lock, not only can you open it just as fast as any auto, but you can close it faster generally speaking. So the assist on an axis seems like a waste of a good knife model design. The assisted opener and auto make it slower to close an axis lock and provide no advantage to convenience of opening or opening speed IMO.

The 705 is a nice deisgn but the handle was too short for me and it seems to be a problem for many others. Your pinky finger will most likely have a hard time getting a grip on it.
Great post and evidently your user name does seem out of place!

I have been carrying my 705 for about 10 years and love the way I can open/close it in a flash, all one-handed. The assisted model would drive me nuts since I would then have to manually close the blade.

As for the grip, I have no problem getting a firm hold on the 705, either in forward or reverse and think most people are likely to have no trouble with it. Great knife and very strong construction.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I collect Case knives but use Kershaw knives exclusively and when Ken Onion joined with Kershaw I knew I had found my edc as a mechanics tool. I would be concerned with the knife opening in my pocket if it was loose enough for use as a gravity knife. The new kershaws with speedsafe even have a safety just to assure overkill on safeties. Oh btw I have never had a Kershaw open on its own in my pocket.

TMorita

Enlightened
Benchmades (w/o assist) flick open very readily with just a wrist snap.

I've played with the 585 w/assist, and I didn't see much value in the assist.
My Rukus, mini Rukus, and mini-Griptilian open just as fast with a wrist snap.

Toshi

guyg

Newly Enlightened
I have a 672 with linerlock and asissted opening. The thing is as fast as a full auto. I dont see it opening in my pocket, but removed the speed bar cuz I dont need one opening that fast.