Olympia Products
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Polarion HID 35W Dive Light - "Abyss U2"

Flashaholic

Default Re: Polarion HID 35W Dive Light - "Abyss U2"

http://www.polarion-store.com/pd-pol...ing-light2.cfm
    looks like a price has been set at $1895, makes no mention of a 40 watt option however, or any kind of dual mode. unless thats just an old link that i havent noticed before.

The Polarion U2 Abyss will be offered in 35-watts only.

No Dual Power or 40-watt model in the works as far as I am aware.
    A word of caution with respect to using the Polarion of Korea for "intel".

In a nutshell if you look at the site, it often displays protos, projects that don't get traction or discontinued products.

We finally have both U2 models in stock.

The "S" model has a slightly stippled reflector and has no where near the throw of the smooth reflector found in the X1 which is a 40-watt HID.

The "D" model is exceptionally diffused for video/photographic work.

These are clearly underwater use lights and have limited runtime out-of-water given the sealing and potential heat build-up given the design.

MSRP in the US is going to be $1895.

Thanks for the update and clarification about the wattage Ken.

Curtis, it looks like you made out just fine with the X1. I'm eager for you to receive it too.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    Thanks for the update and clarification about the wattage Ken.

Curtis, it looks like you made out just fine with the X1. I'm eager for you to receive it too.
    The X1 is already in the house. Been traveling for work so hadn't had enough time to even play yet.

Curtis
    -- CUE

....and you didn't take it to work with you!?

I'm very much looking forward to your pictures and thoughts. CPF is X1 deficient for some reason. Hardly any info or reviews.

The U2 still looks like a great light and should appeal to those looking for for more run-time. It's going to be a tough choice between it and the X1 but since I'm in no hurry, I thought I'd listen to what people had to say about the U2.

I really don't have any important reason to revive this thread other than to say that I'll have a Abyss U2 "S" in my possession, within a couple of days. I'm excited to test it for the CPF community since we've really not seen much actual data on the Abyss from CPF members. I suppose that the economy being what it's been for the last three years probably has a lot to do with that. Personally, I would have owned this light sooner had I more disposable income. In any case, I'll being doing beamshots, videos and will attempt to cover this light with the same depth that I reviewed the PH50 when it was introduced. More in a couple of days!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    I'll have a Abyss U2 "S" in my possession within a couple of days.... I'm excited to test it for the CPF community
    I much look forward to your tests, and comparison beamshots vs. PH40 etc if you can do them.

Unfortunately, I think your tests could possibly lead to more $$$ disappearing from my poor ill-treated wallet...
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic

Yes it will be interesting to see a beamshot comparison with the OP reflector.

Good of you Patriot

I've had the light now for a couple of days and have 3 hours of run-time on it so far. I thought it would be a good idea to give the bulb at least a minimal workout before I started my beamshots and video this coming week.

Also, I missed pointing out that this model is the Abyss Dual "S" or dual stage Abyss. Low output is 30W or 3000L. Hight output is 45W or 4500L. I'll probably just start a new thread soon since this is indeed a new model and Polarion's first 2 stage.

I'm very excited about this product thus far and quite blown away by the performance, especially considering it's size. It's notably smaller than the P series while outperforming the current P series in total light output. Despite having a MOP reflector, the throw remains extraordinary from its sub-three inch (72mm) reflector. The beam imperfections have been eased and softened but the hotspot is still very distinct and measures about 8" across at 25 feet. I'm looking forward to taking beamshots of this light for you guys!

Besides the obvious performance and flawless fit and HA finish, it's impressive to think that this light is dive rate to 330 feet! So far I can't think of a single data point about the Abyss where it comes up short. During the second run, I did manage to get it warm enough to redistribute much of the lubrication that was on the threads and double O-rings. It started to creep down the battery housing but stopped before getting the the electronic board and contacts. It looks like this thing for ready to dive with right from the factory judging from the o-ring lube. Underwater, I suspect that it would never get warm enough for the lube to migrate. I cleaned up the excess and it was good to go for the third run.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

Flashaholic

This sounds like a very nice light you have Patriot, that 30 watt low mode is a nice feature for longer run time.

It would be great if you could compare it's textured reflector against the PH40's smooth.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234