Polarion HID 35W Dive Light - "Abyss U2"

CajunJosh

Newly Enlightened
This will be a nice light to have. When I purchased my ph50 the paperwork stated it was water tested way below depths I'm certified to go. Is it no longer recommended for underwater use? If so looks like here comes another hole in the wallet.

Joe_torch

Newly Enlightened
Looks great! :thumbsup: Like a reinforced X1 & more attractive that one shown in previous thread.

Team Member

Enlightened
And with the floody reflector I see..

Nice pics. Another light for the collection :naughty:

DM51

Flashaholic
Looks very nice indeed.

Was there any particular reason why they went for a flood reflector instead of a smooth one with an optional diffuser filter?

Patriot

Flashaholic
This looks impressive and definitely shares some X1 resemblance. I'm a little surprised by the reflector style and large reflector hole. Perhaps this was done to minimize length or maybe it's just because this is a proto? The handle appears to be beefy, removable, and made of molded polymer. Nice touch with the lanyard hold in front too. I'm excited to hear and see more!

Thanks Ken :thumbsup:

Paul

Last edited:

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
OOOOOMG!!!!!! Here goes another temptation from Ken :crazy:
How about the specs for this, Ken? I want to see it badly :sick2:
I got tired searching for the PH50 and about to order the L50... but this looks cool too :ohgeez:

Patriot

Flashaholic
How about the specs for this, Ken? I want to see it badly :sick2:

Were you able to see the pictures ok LGW? :poke: ;)

Regarding the specs, it appears to be similar dimensionally to the X1. Provided it's using the same power supply as the X1, which is likely given size constraints, it should run around 90 minutes at 35W. According to what's printed on the light it's depth rated for 328 feet.

Patriot

Flashaholic
But this is 35W only and the X1 is 40W, right? I'm a bit concern on the brightness level of the light. :)

That's correct. For every type of use run-time must always be balanced with output. 5W isn't going to provide much practical performance difference in the diving application, but extra run-time or reserve power for divers could be very important.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting reflector design... most divers prefer something like a 5-7 degree beam... Don't think this light will be anywhere in that range given the design of the reflector.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how I missed this one. .... Will keep a close watch on it.

Yeah....I missed this as well.I can't wait to hear the price.Probably more than I can afford.

Why wasn't I born rich instead of good looking?
rolleye11.gif

Patriot

Flashaholic
Why wasn't I born rich instead of good looking?
rolleye11.gif

If you were born looking anything like Biff, you might have to take that back. :laughing::crackup:

For those who don't know, "Biff" is the character in his avatar. I'm just kidding of course. :)

I'm eager to hear the price as well. I suspect it will be more than the X1.

CajunJosh

Newly Enlightened
I'm eager to hear the price as well. I suspect it will be more than the X1.

Agreed... Good SCUBA equipment tends to be pricy. The market is different in this hobby given that your life depends on your equipment. Given Polarion's reputation for quality I wouldn't be surprised to see this light priced around $2000.00. Of course I'll be unable to support that purchase and still take my PH50 down when I dive. :sssh:

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed... Good SCUBA equipment tends to be pricy. The market is difference in this hobby given that your life depends on your equipment. Given Polarion's reputation for quality I wouldn't be surprised to see this light priced around $2000.00. Of course I'll be unable to support that purchase and still take my PH50 down when I dive. :sssh:

The PH50 should be able to operate at normal diving depths no problem. I have an "optional" heavy duty tailcap that increases the water tightness of the PH50 beyond the standard tailcap.

CajunJosh

Newly Enlightened
That's awesome to know but I would still be jealous if someone showed up with the Abyss even in the presence of the PH50. ;)

Latest posts