Mini review of Nite Glowrings and Merkava II tritium glowrings

hazna

Enlightened
I thought I would share my thoughts on a couple of tritium glowrings that I have bought recently. I have gotten:

-Nite Glowring from Roadie (blue case with blue tritium) - abbreviated: BTBC (blue tritium, blue case)
-Nite Glowring from Merkava (clear transparent case with blue tritium) - abbreviated: BTCC (blue tritium, clear case)
-Merkava(Mk) II Tritium Glowring (green) - abbreviated: MkII

Glowrings were purchased from the following threads in cpfmarketplace:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=195070
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=197015
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=182082

Size:
The MkII, is alot smaller and slimmer than either of the nite glowrings. However as the casing of the MkII is thinner, I'd feel a little uncomfortable using it on a keychain. The Nite Glowrings should be more robust with the thicker casing.

Build:
My sample of the MkII has cracking and bubbling near the lanyard hole, I believe this is a issue that sometimes happens in making the MkII, however it is unaesthetic... and I believe it makes the MkII look cheaper quality. The the nite glowring with the clear casing, has some air bubbles where the tritium is 'glued in'. The nite glowring with the blue casing, has less bubbling... however I believe even with bubbling, it would be less noticeable as it has a darker case. I sure there will be variations of 'bubbling' and cracking between various samples of the glowrings.

Brightness:
The green tritium in the MkII is signficantly brighter than the blue tritium in either nite glowring. As the BTCC has a clear casing, in a dark environment it is slightly brighter than the BTBC. However, I feel where there is more ambient lighting (but still slightly dim)... BTBC 'looks more 'glowy' as there is greather contrast between the blue casing and the whitish tritium tube.

Packaging:
In terms of packaging, both the glowrings from merkava (MkII and BTCC) have rudimentary packaging, unsuitable for gifting to others. They only come in small 'ziplock' plastic bags. The Nite Glowrings from Roadie (BTBC), come in a small plastic box and is more suitable for gifting to others.

Summary:
If you want something smaller get an MkII. If you want more durability get the nite glowrings.

Out of the nite glowrings, personally I like the look of the blue casing rather than the clear casing, especially during daylight. The tritium in clear casing, is slightly more brighter than the tritium in colour casing, however I feel the 'prettiness' of the coloured casing outweighs this very minor increase in brightness.

Generally green tritium is significantly brighter than blue tritium.

Last edited:

ARA

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, i just got some of the Nite glowrings myself and despite all the negative views about its plug and colored casing that i found in various threads, they do look cool. I got all three colors green, blue and red. The green is definitely more brighter.

what worries me is how sturdy they are, right now am nursing them though barely :)

Are the other two worth getting ? or am i missing out on something :thinking:

hazna

Enlightened
I reckon its not work buying the nite glowrings with the clear translucent cases unless you actually need more. However if you like a smaller marker for your flashlight, you could consider getting MkII or MkI

ARA

Enlightened
Thanks mate, yeah the idea was to get them in a smaller size to attach to the flashlight.

soli

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps a better option if you want a small tritium fob for your torches would be a Firefly Zip Marker which are about 20mm in length compared to the 48mm of the Nite Glowring.

I'm not too sure what the Firefly are like quality wise but I do plan on picking a few up to try out.

Oooor if you like the brightness of the Merkava II but the robustness of the Nite, how about going for their love child... a clear Merkava Nite over on the CPFM

ARA

Enlightened
Thanks soli, yeah i've got my eye on the Firefly too, but i think i'll end up compromising on the length of the tritium tube.

I like the the size and visibility of the Merkava II DIY Glowring and the Merkava DIY Glowring, which would would be the best fob for the torch (petite yet maximum visibility) but i cant order via paypal so am stuck with websites offering credit card ordering with international shipping.