Another Newbie building a P7 Mag

Umibuta

Newly Enlightened
Hi I am building a new P7 Mag 3D for diving. And hoping for some help. Here are some information about what I want to build:

- To be used for Scuba Diving
- Will saw the barrel length to suit batteries
- Looking for 3hrs burn time on 2.4amps (3 amps if it doesn't generate too much heat on land)
- Using a single SSC P7 CSXOI
- Will use sandwiched AMC 7135 with 16multi-mode driver as per StefanFS design here
- Will sputter the refector for an even flood.

My questions:

1) Is the Diameter of the D-cell Mag big enough to fit 4 nos. of 18650?

2) For 4 nos. of 18650 3000mAh I can have 4hrs of burn time on my P7 at 3A, am I right? (assuming the 100% efficiency for simplicity)

3) Will the stock Mag reflector melt if it is sitting on the heat-sink or too close to the emitter?

4) Do the drivers heat up or do i need to heat-sink the drivers?

Cheers

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
My questions:

1) Is the Diameter of the D-cell Mag big enough to fit 4 nos. of 18650?
No, you'll need to get it bored. There are several CPF members who provide this service.
2) For 4 nos. of 18650 3000mAh I can have 4hrs of burn time on my P7 at 3A, am I right? (assuming the 100% efficiency for simplicity)
Theoretically you are correct but keep in mind, most 18650's advertised at 3000mAh capacity are nowhere near that. You're more likely to have somewhere around 2200mAh to 2400mAh instead. Then there are various inefficiencies to account for in the current path as well.
3) Will the stock Mag reflector melt if it is sitting on the heat-sink or too close to the emitter?
Not sure.
4) Do the drivers heat up or do i need to heat-sink the drivers?
Not sure.
Cheers
:welcome:

supasizefries

Enlightened
Are you planning to run 4 18650's in series? If so, the input voltage would be way too high for that driver.

Umibuta

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Brighter. I was about to buy 4 18650s:oops:, I guess I might have to settle for 1 or 2 25500 5500mAh :thumbsdow(3500mAh actually) at 2.4A.

Are you planning to run 4 18650's in series?

I was planning them in parallel. This should be fine, right?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you verified that a Maglite is sufficiently waterproof for your application? In particular, the rubber switch boot design looks like a weak link.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could be wrong but I dont think you can quad bore a Mag for 4 x18650
dual bore might be an option.
You need to ask Jesus Hernandez here

The stock Mag reflector should be ok but personally I would use a metal orange peel reflector with a P7. This will smooth out the beam and eliminate
the dark cross the P7 has in its hotspot.

If your running the light for continuous periods of time, it wouldnt hurt to heatsink the driver ... I would to be on the safe side

Umibuta

Newly Enlightened
Have you verified that a Maglite is sufficiently waterproof for your application? In particular, the rubber switch boot design looks like a weak link.

I will replace the O-rings and stock switch (to piezo switch), this should waterproof it (with trial and error). I have no knowledge on electronics/electrical, just leeching information of the net and praying my home brew works.

@Txt101

I think i will not bore the mag but just replace with different LiION. As I intend to use the light for videography I need a wide even flood, I will search for beamshots from Orange peel. I might have to test the drivers out to see how hot it gets before deciding if I will heat sink it.

I guess I can start ordering my parts from DX and Kaidomain. I wasn't sure about the parts earlier, at least I know now that 18650 was the wrong choice.

Cheers for the advice.