Old Dog and New Tricks

erix

Newly Enlightened
Howdy,

You may remember this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224755
about the use of optics in flashlights. Turned into a little flame and then got back on task. The idea of using the Khatod optic I showed has been in the back of my mind ever since...
I recently traded for a pair of old Elektrolumens (an XM-2 and an XM-3) and though they are built nice enough, I think they are only "adequate" in terms of light output . The XM-2 was brighter than the XM-3 when I got them and the XM-3 turns out to be easier to take apart so...
XM-3_003.jpg

Behold the "heatsink" and a Luxeon III. Inside the sink is a 600mA driver - or so I read.
XM-3_004.jpg

Behold a minimum of thermal transfer media....
XM-3_005.jpg

Behold a Cree XR-E, Q4, Wc mounted on a piece of super-secret material from my scrap bin at work. The board is .030" thick, copper on both sides, and transfers heat like a mother...
XM-3_006.jpg

Stuck on the heatsink with 3M 8810, a lovely 10 mil thermal tape that gets stickier the hotter it gets. Once you stick a board down with this tape it is almost as permanent as epoxy...
XM-3_007.jpg

The lovely Khatod PL10208.
XM-3_009.jpg

The optic is designed for a snug fit over the machined aluminum ring of the XR-E but just to be sure, some Loctite 3106 UV-Activated glue locks it down forever.
XM-3_010.jpg

Finished install - I have lots of room for that fancy glow-in-the-dark powder....
And now, beamshots, 35' away from a 12' high wall, original Luxeon
XM-3_001.jpg

Same shot with new Cree + Khatod
XM-3_011.jpg

XM-2 will be going under the knife next!

ok,
erix