Foxfury Scout
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling pen nuts. Whats a good parker refill?

Default Re: Calling pen nuts. Whats a good parker refill?

Try Hauser refills. They're currently the best ones in terms of ink flow for a ballpoint refill that will fit inside a Jotter. (May have to order them online though.)
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Never had any issues with original Parker Medium blue refills. Twin pack usually gets me covered for the next 2-3 years

Unenlightened

The best refill for a Parker style pen is the Schmidt 9000. This refill gives you the ultra smooth rollerball experience in a ballpoint pen. Use this side by side and you will be sold on the Schmidt 9000. As a pen maker this is what I put in my pens. I also use it in my personal pens.

Quote Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
    I've got a huge colour range in the Parker pens and to be honest the refills here in Aus are lacking... I purchased all I could of the old ink style refills as I herd that Parker were only going to bring into Aus the Gell refills...

The Gell refills only last typically 4 months or less of intermittent writing each day - nothing reliable within regards to the ink refills. I love my EDC Parker and am going to regret the day that I have to resort to the Gel refills! Nothing nice about carrying a pen and a refill on you every day to have it bust open in your pocket if it bends or pop's open!

Other than that, we dont have much in the way as speciality pen shops where I am on the Gold Coast, only one but the owner is a really crabby old asian guy that detests me asking about Parker I'M and Urban's and their refills - as he says "they're rubbish"...

So I'm going to have to look for something that'll replace the OEM Parker refills, even if I have to buy online.

Here's a comparison of some refills which might be of interest to you, just fyi... Some Parker style refills were tested for their smudginess by Jack Roman for his Ultimate Titanium Clicky Pen on ks recently, if that helps (sometimes, the criteria for a good refill is based on its smoothness and that it dries relatively quickly)...

Unenlightened

Parker Pens create an elegant writing experience! It is very nice..

interesting thread. i'm going to try to get some of these refills to try in the jotter as i really like its size and operation.

there must be some individual taste differences as i find the stock parker refill pretty bad, and cross refills are not much better. both have relatively poor flow and are kind of "pasty."

it would be nice if the uniball jetstream or the G2 fit the jotter.

The Parker Quink gel refill is the smoothest I've used. Dries a bit faster than other gel inks.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    A.T. Cross was excellent . . . before they decided to piss away their good name by having their pen lines cheaply made in China. Vintage Cross? Definitely worth it.
    What year did Cross sell out?

I don't know the exact year. But it wasn't very long ago. Same story with every brand based in America that switches operations to China. They go with the bottom-of-the-barrel, lowest price; and quality plummets. Same story every time. Yeah, you can find companies in China willing to make quality products for you at a good savings. For some bizarre reason, the only thing former American companies want is whoever offers to make their goods cheaper than dust (forget dirt).

Name an American company that relocated manufacturing to China, it's the same story.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I like the Parker Quink flow refill. The Schmidt 9000 is my next choice, but they don't last long. A lot of people recommend the fine Fisher Space pen refill which would be third on my list.

Fisher pressurized refills always get globs of ink on the end. They used to not do this (like twenty years ago), but lately, all the ones I've had are a mess and do not write smoothly.

I highly recommend everyone try the Parker Quink gel ink refills. Worlds better than Schmidt, Fisher, etc...

For writing on Rite in the Rain paper, I always use a fine-tip Sharpie...works the best out of any others I've tried and I have seen tests where people have subjected the ink (after writing on RITR paper) to soaking and the Sharpie seemed to not run or bleed much at all. The others did not fare as well.