Heatsink to Mag tube with thermal compound?

lightime

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to diy upgrade a Maglite to use a Cree Q5 I have lying around for fun. I can't seem to find a ring/disc that fits snuggly inside the Maglite tube to transfer the heat to the tube. The closest I have gotten is about 1mm aawy from the tube. Can I use some sort of thermal compound to fill in the gap between the heatsink and the tube? What would be the best compound for this? Or is it required that the heatsink actually touch the tube all the way around?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Ajay

Enlightened
I am trying to diy upgrade a Maglite to use a Cree Q5 I have lying around for fun. I can't seem to find a ring/disc that fits snuggly inside the Maglite tube to transfer the heat to the tube. The closest I have gotten is about 1mm aawy from the tube. Can I use some sort of thermal compound to fill in the gap between the heatsink and the tube? What would be the best compound for this? Or is it required that the heatsink actually touch the tube all the way around?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

You can probably get away with some sort of heat sink that does not touch all the surface of the Mag inner tube but thermal compounds are supposed to be spread thinly.

I used a piece of aluminum foil to get a tighter fit with a round Mag HS. Try the aluminum foil. You can fold it to get the required thickness. Good luck. Show some pics!:twothumbs

EDIT: Some people use copper foil from ebay but for a Q5 you probably won't see any difference with aluminum.

Last edited:

lightime

Newly Enlightened
Great idea...thanks for the suggestion. How good is aluminum foil at transfering heat? is there a particular type or brand I should look for? is there any type of foil that is actually made for this purpose? Thanks for any more info.

You can probably get away with some sort of heat sink that does not touch all the surface of the Mag inner tube but thermal compounds are supposed to be spread thinly.

I used a piece of aluminum foil to get a tighter fit with a round Mag HS. Try the aluminum foil. You can fold it to get the required thickness. Good luck. Show some pics!:twothumbs

EDIT: Some people use copper foil from ebay but for a Q5 you probably won't see any difference with aluminum.

Ajay

Enlightened
Great idea...thanks for the suggestion. How good is aluminum foil at transfering heat? is there a particular type or brand I should look for? is there any type of foil that is actually made for this purpose? Thanks for any more info.

Lightime, I used what ever was in the kitchen:) Nothing special. It is aluminum after all so I guess it has the same thermal conductivity as aluminum in a Mag body. You are using a Cree Q5 not a SSC P7 or some other multi die LED so you don't need to go too crazy on the exact science of this. I used the foil for a crazy hot P7 and it works great. Aluminum is very good at conducting heat but copper is even better. You can search the forum for other discussions on the topic.

Last edited:

lightime

Newly Enlightened
Makes sense :) Thank you again for the idea and the input....much appreciated.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag Heatsinks HERE
DHSHAIIIversion.jpg