PhlatLight SST-90 1xC IMR 26650 build

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhlatLight SST-90 1xC IMR 26650 Top Bin Beat Mag 85!

This is Part A of the 2000 lumen 1xC build.

I decided to take apart my Kel-lite 2C ROP Hi & build the SST-90 with it.
The ROP was out-shined significantly by my Mag 1D 1185 3x17670 set-up lately & it's time to retire the 900 lumen "loser" & put the body to a better use. :eek:

The Vintage Kel-lite was built like a Tank. It's got real beefy body & head, thicker aluminum than mag lite. From heat dissipation angle, which is my main concern for this monster LED, I felt that it's a better host than mag C for sure & maybe even better than mag D as it's heavier than 1D mag host.

If I am lucky & able to direct drive the SST-90 to full spec, that's 9A or 36W of power, lots of heat to worry about for LED.

I started with a metal SMO reflector, enlarged the hole, then trimmed the SST-90 star to fit:

71859533.jpg

The Mag reflector needed some sanding job on the side & I managed to make it fit into the Kel-lite head, which is almost identical to mag head in size & use the same 52mm lens. There won't be any nasty cross or hole like P7, so I am going with SMO for some throw.

84365714.jpg

Now, screw it into the bezel, the fit is just Perfect!
Look mom, no seams!:thumbsup:
96466493.jpg

This is my battery of choice, 4000 mAh IMR 26650, able to deliver >10A
but with much higher capacity than AW IMR 26500. The plan is to do Direct Drive. It'll give me ~25min at 9A, but if DD can't deliver 10A, I may end up with 7-8A for >1/2 hr run time, good enough for me. I don't know what current I'll be able to get yet, but I am not aware of a better battery for the SST-90 than this one, especially in C-size.
78916059.jpg

Another good news, the 26650 slide in perfectly!. This Kel-lite tube is just slightly larger than C Mag tube (~0.5mm larger in ID) & just fit the 26650 without the need to enlarge the battery tube like some had to go through to fit AW 26500 IMR to Mag C. I got lucky here!
15263970.jpg

When it's all finished, It'll be mag 1C sized single led/single-die monster,
hopefully pumping out >2000 lumens as claimed & beat my mag 1D 1185. We'll see!
14242938.jpg

This is it for now. The next part will be making a beefy Copper Heatsink for it, I've got a plan but need to wait for my raw materials to arrive.

Stay tuned for Part B.

Last edited:

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Re: PhlatLight SST-90 1xC Li-ion Build

Very cool! I just wonder about the switch being able to handle the high amps. But if it was ok as an ROP.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks & The switch should be able to handle >12A.

I've taken the switch apart to clean it before, it's two wide copper plate pressed against each other when in "On" position. It's about 3 times as wide than the metals plates in the mag switch core.

With the simple mechanism & wide copper plate, it looks to me that it can handle about 2-3x what mag switch can handle. If mag switch does 6A no problem (5761 use), this switch should be able to handle >12A no problem.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I'm going to be watching this build because I've got a similar plan for a 7 D Kel. I haven't determined a battery configuration yet. I like what you have done so far. What will you be using as a heat sink?
Kel lite with 4D M*G
mail

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you powered the LED up with the reflector in place? Typically the led has to sit up about 1/4" into the reflector to focus.

Mac

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to be watching this build because I've got a similar plan for a 7 D Kel. I haven't determined a battery configuration yet. I like what you have done so far. What will you be using as a heat sink?
Kel lite with 4D M*G
mail

I am using a pure copper heat-sink, weight in at 0.6 lb :crazy:, will need trim to fit.
48144804.jpg

For reference, here is a regular Alu. heatsink for C Mag: Weight in at 1/20 the weight.

64955231.jpg

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you powered the LED up with the reflector in place? Typically the led has to sit up about 1/4" into the reflector to focus.

Mac

Mac, while cutting/enlarging the reflector, I tested my reflector focus point with another LED, and have figured out where the focal point is roughly, as you pointed out, it's about 1/4 " in from the bottom. The bottom of reflector has been shortened by 1/8" already & I also cut the hole big enough to allow the trimmed star to go all the way into the reflector & raise the LED further up within the reflector. But I haven't get to work on fitting the copper heat sink yet, so far not daring to fire the SST-90 up at the moment.

I'll step-trim the Copper heat sink to fit until I reach the ideal height of LED to the focus point.
Also, the Kel-lite has some small room to adjust focus, allowing fine-tuning at the end.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ma_sha!

Where did you get that heatsink, looks masive, Looks like it came from a PC? Got any specs?

Thanks!
AlexGT

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi again Ma_Sha1!

I looked in ebay but could not find the heatsink you have, can you direct me to the seller or the auction?

Thanks!
AlexGT

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am out of town for a wk, using PSP w/o ebay access. try search soket 370

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
thermaltake sells a mini copper orb (search "thermaltake mini copper orb") that is 6.5cm diameter, and his heatsink looks like the core of that with the alum. fins removed

mickeyjc

Newly Enlightened
hi ma_sha,
Where did you buy the SST-90. I have been searching, and not many retailers available.
Thanks.