Best Maglite MOd

njet212

Enlightened
Hi does anybody know which maglite will be best for mod ( brightness n run time ) ???

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the moment, my favourite Mag mod is a K2 TFFC @ 1400mA
OP reflector, gives me a beautiful tight hotspot, a great thrower :thumbsup:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is a quad aspheric XR-E running at 1400ma each with a separate battery pack and totally sealed for scuba diving. Throw is amazing and burn time is 3 hours on high or 30 on low.

You are going to get a lot of different answers to your question unless you be a bit more specific.
If you want brightness you jam as many emitters in as possible. If you want long run times you use a single emitter and as many batteries in as possible.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really mean only what you said (brightness and run time), then the only possible answer is the biggest Maglite available - currently the 6D.

Whatever can be built in a smaller torch will have the same or more brightness in a bigger torch with more or bigger batteries.

But I bet you have other requirements, and are just keeping them a secret.

Gryloc

Enlightened
To answer the OP, it depends on how much brightness or runtime you would expect. This will not be useful to you, but it is the best I can say with the info on the requirements you desire. Please give us more info on what you want or need... Being the best depends on the user... (ramble mode: on)...

I think that the best Mag mod depends on the owner, or the creator. We design around characteristics we desire. I love the tint and the performance of my quad TFFC 0200 K2 behind basic IMS 20mm reflectors and powered by a Maxflex, and contained in a 2C mag with AW C cells. The beam is beutiful, and the modes are convenient and customizable. However, I am using cheap plastic reflectors and LEDs that perform well, but are not the most efficient (compared to what is available at time of post) when driven at full power -900lm from 16W input.

That is my opinion, and my custom design. I would love to use newer, and more efficient emitters, but for the cost, this was semi-easy to afford (I wish I could use nice McR reflectors), and the beam is very pretty.

If could be a better light (in my eyes), then I would buy the parts when I can afford them, then build it. Seven neutral white Rebel 0100 emitters driven at 1.2A from the Maxflex and McGizmo's wonderful McR-12R or McR-18 reflectors would be great. So would a Cree XP-G behind Mag's new stock reflector driven at over 1A. I would love to have a fin cut Mag that is cut down with flutes and a chrome or HA-III coating with a custom heatsink and high-end LED(s). I would also wish I could afford a lathe.

So, my post is part rambling, and part sampling of what you could do with a Mag. So, when deciding on what Mag mod to build, be unique (or not) and make a Mag with features and properties you like, need, ...or can afford. Once you make a decision, please ask us for help on how to build it. We are here for you.

-Tony

Last edited:

Matt7337

Enlightened
I don't want to thread jack, but I found this whilst searching and thought I would post my latest reply from one of my own threads here to see if some of my questions might be answered here also.

Matt7337 said:
Well everyone I got all the bits and pieces for my maglite mod and I have them installed. Pics to come, my camera is on the charger as I type.

I'm very impressed with the quality of the mods that have been fitted to the light and the output of Gene's emitter is fantastic, but - I now feel like this is a feeble effort at a mag mod after reading some of the posts in CPF's Custom & Mod section.

Things like Mil-spec anodising, custom built emitters using magamods heatsinks and nickel plated mags with finning and 18650 mods by fivemega have made me hungry for more, and I am now itching to mod another large maglite to an even greater extent and turn it into a truly unique light. The thing is though, I am new to modding mags and I know most of you are not. I need inspiration, help, guidance etc on exactly what to use and what to do with the host. What I am looking for is:

Something unique looking - Custom machining, re- anodising, you name it and I want it!

LOTS of output - I know Gene's P7 dropin for D sized mags is supposed to produce 700+ lumens so is this my best bet or can I get more output if I put the time and effort into a custom emitter?

For the benefit of the OP, here's what I fitted to my stock 3D mag:

-Flashlightlens.com UCL glass window
-Kaidomain aluminium reflector (SMO)
-Malkoff Devices "$55" 2-3 C&D dropin, runs @ 240lm on 3x D cells @ 1000mA
-ESD Executive crennelated bezel, black
-Xcapecap black

It's a really good light now and will be much more suitable in an emergency situation now (it is clipped in the back of my car at all times), but like I have said in my quote above, I want more from my next mag mod and I want it to be useable every day.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you talking about an incan mod, or an LED mod? There is no "best brightness versus runtime;" those two factors are balanced, and what balance you personally like is up to you. There is no "best." There are long runtime LED mods, and incredibly bright incan mods, as well as many in between.

David Gretzmier

Newly Enlightened
The electrolumens 3 x p7 or 3 x mce in a 4 cell mag converted to 3 x 18650's is about as bright as you can get in a standard mag at 2100-2600 lumens. I took out the spacer tube and 3 26650's fit perfectly and give you twice the runtime of 18650's. It gets warm after 15 minutes, but has run over an hour with no damage. pricewise, not so bad, around 150 bucks and includes the mag.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the moment, my favourite Mag mod is a K2 TFFC @ 1400mA OP reflector, gives me a beautiful tight hotspot, a great thrower :thumbsup:

Yes a powerful single die LED emitter (pick your flavour) OR a SSC P7 D binned quad emitter, choosing the lower rated I spec will allow you to run Alkalines (easy to source) and still enjoy adequate runtime, alternatively add a regulation circuit into the mix and employ high capacity NiMH cells... now that's the best compromise between output & runtime IMHO :thumbsup: