Osram 64440 Maglite...

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess this would fall under the shortened designation of 'Mag440' essentially I decided on this configuration because I wasn't satisfied with an overdriven 20w Osram 64425 which had great runtime but at 500~600Lm didn't quite satisfy if you know what I mean :thumbsup:

I've had this Hotwire a while now and it's more of a show'n'tell light since I pieced together the 3D-P7, other than StefanFS's mention of his 64440 Mag' I haven't noted too many around the traps so I thought I might just post this thread if anything for posterity, why not an exotic lower Vf bulb? well I wanted something that utilized components that were easily sourced down under and this configuration fitted the bill :D

Sourcing the parts was pretty easy once I secured the 12AA->4D battery carriage from Fivemega, Litho123 was kind enough to help me out with a mineral glass lens & LOP aluminium reflector, whilst the hot halogen is held in place by one of Kiu's bi pin adapters :thumbsup:

For the most part, setting up the high temperature bi pin holder was the most technically challenging part of this build though with the assitance of Kiu's guide it's really a piece of cake :D

img0427k.jpg

Choosing appropriately rated (quality) batteries was the next step and luckily for me I found some nice 2500mAh Varta's on sale @ 2.50ea (in packs of 4), these puppies allow me to run this Hotwire for approximately 35 minutes, charging them is a little difficult without a dedicated charger so out they come and into 3 separate NiMH chargers they must go! ;)

img0415t.jpg

Obviously the stock reflector & lens couldn't hold up to the heat put out by these high end halogen bulbs, in fact during the earlier Osram 64425 20w phase of construction/experimentation I found out just how quick these components could disintegrate... what a hoot! :devil:

img0436p.jpg

The LOP reflector was the best compromise between pure throw & an acceptable (well to my eyes anyway) beam profile, this example has served me well though I wouldn't mind replacing it with something a little more OP :grin2:

img0439v.jpg

According to Osram's specifications these bulbs are rated for 910~925Lm @ 12v (2000hrs) overdriving to the tune of 14.4v should be yielding approximately 1600~1700Lm, below is a direct comparison between the 50w Mag & my P7 DSWOI, unfortunately my camera skills don't do this light justice... but I'll let you be the judge, I'm still blown away by just how floody this light is :D

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

50whotwire.jpg

900lmp7.jpg

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use the 50W 64440 IRC Energy Saver you will get a lot more output. Not to mention the 65W 64447 IRC ES, the 65W reduces runtime, but it's sooo bright. The 35W 64432 IRC ES will be about equal to the ordinary 64440, but it has longer runtime.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who's stocking the "to die for" cyan P7's? ;)

The colour temp of the P7 looks different in person a much whiter white, for what ever reason (most likely my camera settings) that doesn't get portrayed adequately ;)

If you use the 50W 64440 IRC Energy Saver you will get a lot more output. Not to mention the 65W 64447 IRC ES, the 65W reduces runtime, but it's sooo bright. The 35W 64432 IRC ES will be about equal to the ordinary 64440, but it has longer runtime.

Those 'energy saver' Osrams have an interesting design/shape & a vertically polarized element too (that should help the beam profile) best of all the output specifications & bulb life, thanks for hooking me up StefanFS! :D

czecz030asp.jpg

Unfortunately despite Osram having a local website, I've yet to locate an easy means of securing these bulbs locally, hence they've fallen into the exotic bulbs category which defeats the purpose of this build, easy to find off-the-shelf halogen bi pins :(

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Lux' seems like the best places (gleaned from your data) would be...

Bulb Connection

Service Lighting

Svetila

However like I hinted at previously anything that requires importation falls into the 'exotic' category, at 6.00 Euros/10.00 USD each (not including any shipping costs) I can purchase 4 Osram 64440s in town in any supermarket electrical section, the intent with this hotire project had been to create something that utilized bulbs I could easily source (not import) locally and for that the earlier version Osrams still fit the bill, hopefully with people's desire to 'green' their homes & workplaces these high efficiency IRC Osrams will hit the general populace's market relatively soon! :thumbsup:

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
M@elstrom, I was able to source some 64440-IRC bulbs from Lamp Replacements. The Brisbane store charged me about $7 a bulb, IIRC. I'm not sure if they were accidentally charging me the price for the non-IRC 64440 or not but it seemed like a good deal.

I'm running my M@g440-IRC on 15 Eneloops and its output blows all of my other lights away. The bulb is pretty yellow and uninspiring on 12 cells though and really likes to be overdriven. I can only imagine how it'd look on 18 cells :faint: if it doesn't go :poof:. Because of its large axial filament, the beam is pure flood with a stock-sized reflector and is easily outthrown by a M@g11. With an SMO FM3V-2, however, it has a perfectly smooth beam, tight hotspot and throws like a laser.

Where do you source your 64440 from? I'm looking for a Aussie supplier for some 64610 bulbs for my 4D Mag.

Last edited:

R@ndom

Enlightened
M@elstrom, I was able to source some 64440-IRC bulbs from Lamp Replacements. The Brisbane store charged me about $7 a bulb, IIRC. I'm not sure if they were accidentally charging me the price for the non-IRC 64440 or not but it seemed like a good deal.

I'm running my M@g440-IRC on 15 Eneloops and its output blows all of my other lights away. The bulb is pretty yellow and uninspiring on 12 cells though and really likes to be overdriven. I can only imagine how it'd look on 18 cells :faint: if it doesn't go :poof:. Because of its large axial filament, the beam is pure flood with a stock-sized reflector and is easily outthrown by a M@g11. With an SMO FM3V-2, however, it has a perfectly smooth beam, tight hotspot and throws like a laser.

Where do you source your 64440 from? I'm looking for a Aussie supplier for some 64610 bulbs for my 4D Mag.

Coles $1 to $5 for a 2 pack. :D

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coles $1 to $5 for a 2 pack. :D

+1 :D

If my memory serves me... Big W sells the Philips 50w bi pin too @ 5.00 a pair & Sam's Warehouse has the Adapt (vertically aligned element) 50w bi pins for $1.00 a pair, Coles is great when they have a clearance sale... I picked up 20+ CR123s for $5.00 a pair just last month :devil:

I'm going to try some of the B&M lighting stores as not everyone has an internet presence, worse case scenario I can chase them up when I'm in Melbourne next :grin2:

UnderTheWeepingMoon said:
The bulb is pretty yellow and uninspiring on 12 cells though and really likes to be overdriven.

12 x AAs is overdriven (see below) until the cells fall back to 1.2v each, seeing as I use a purpose built 12AA->4D FM battery carriage I'm not going to be trying 15+ cells anytime soon... AW C cells could be a different avenue :thinking:

BTW thanks for pointing in in the direction of a known Victorian stockist! :thumbsup:

Hot-off-the-charge (falls to 16.60v @ tailcap after a few minute long bursts, I imagine with resistance lowering modifications to the tailcap & switch combined with a new reflector (this one's a little de-textured now) I could be enjoying further Lumen-out-the-front :D

img0477d.jpg

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I performed the Maglite 'tailcap mod' but didn't really notice much of an improvement in relation to voltage @ the bi-pin's socket perhaps 0.01v? :thinking:

tailcapmod.jpg

Also noteworthy is the recent appearance of Osram Economy Saver 240v bulbs (utilizing the revolutionary new halogen design) in many local retail outlets whilst their stock of regular 64440s are slowly dwindling on the rack... at this rate we may even see the IRC bi-pins by Christmas eh? :D

R@ndom

Enlightened
+1 :D

If my memory serves me... Big W sells the Philips 50w bi pin too @ 5.00 a pair & Sam's Warehouse has the Adapt (vertically aligned element) 50w bi pins for $1.00 a pair, Coles is great when they have a clearance sale... I picked up 20+ CR123s for $5.00 a pair just last month :devil:

I'm going to try some of the B&M lighting stores as not everyone has an internet presence, worse case scenario I can chase them up when I'm in Melbourne next :grin2:

Since the halogens draw a lot of current I use them to "rest" cells :D

12 x AAs is overdriven (see below) until the cells fall back to 1.2v each, seeing as I use a purpose built 12AA->4D FM battery carriage I'm not going to be trying 15+ cells anytime soon... AW C cells could be a different avenue :thinking:

BTW thanks for pointing in in the direction of a known Victorian stockist! :thumbsup:

Hot-off-the-charge (falls to 16.60v @ tailcap after a few minute long bursts, I imagine with resistance lowering modifications to the tailcap & switch combined with a new reflector (this one's a little de-textured now) I could be enjoying further Lumen-out-the-front :D

img0477d.jpg

The 50 watt bulbs have wider pin spacing and wont fit in the PR to Bi-pin adapter. The CR123a's at coles were $5 a pair at coles Knox and I picked all they have (3 pairs). The coles at the Glen still $11. :shakehead. According to lctorana he recommends a nimh/nicad cell for every rated volt. With the 2000 hour life of the 64440 you could push them reeeaaalllyyy hard. I think 5mega said 18 volts for PAR lamps of the same life and voltage.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 50 watt bulbs have wider pin spacing and wont fit in the PR to Bi-pin adapter.

I'm not quite following you there... I don't use the FM bi-pin adapter, is that what you're using? :thinking:

I suppose you could always 'tweak' the elements/legs a little with a pair of pointy nosed pliers just means the bulb would sit a little higher into the reflector :thumbsup:

The CR123a's at coles were $5 a pair at coles Knox and I picked all they have (3 pairs). The coles at the Glen still $11. :shakehead.

I sold all mine to a colleague who wanted to reignite his love affair with an early SF 6P, hard to get that warm all over feeling @ $10.00 a battery! :D

According to lctorana he recommends a nimh/nicad cell for every rated volt. With the 2000 hour life of the 64440 you could push them reeeaaalllyyy hard. I think 5mega said 18 volts for PAR lamps of the same life and voltage.

I don't see myself actually building another hotwire (lithium C cell) project in the near future, I've still got a couple of unfulfilled "requests" for P7 modded Maglites to sort out :ohgeez: