Eneloop real or fake?

Art

Enlightened
Hi,
I hope this topic is not a repeated one.

I was searching on some topics about this but could not find any topic talking only about this.
Just received 2 packs of eneloops today bought on ebay , from what I searched here they are not original.

They say HR6 and not R6. At the "back" from the pics you have shown here on other topics mine is not the same as original.

Here is a pic from another topic (thats to the owner)
3743461581_2651a4af21.jpg

Mines have "Size AA HR6" write on the left side and all the "dots" before the "Do not dispose..." "Charge only" etc are continuous not in one line each.

I measured and the pack of 4 AAA come all with 1.300v and the pack of 4 AA come all with 1.330v.

How can I know they are original and not fakes?

Will post some pics of them latter.

Thanks

Art

Enlightened
Here are mine , the pic above is from another topic.

eneloop.jpg

What do you think?

Regards

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you think?
It's hard to tell. You need to take a photo from an angle that shows the positive end with the shape and size of the button clearly visible.

BTW, 1.33 V is a reasonable value for a new eneloop out of the packaging. They are only partially charged at the factory.

You can also learn something by looking for the date code that should be embossed along the side.

Last edited:

Art

Enlightened
What data code and where?

I can post some more pics of it... and from the button just give me a min.

Art

Enlightened
Here are 2 more pics:

Edit: I can not resize them now so here is link for original size: http://acn.pt/eneloop2.jpg

Here it is beside a 2650 Duracell:
eneloop3.jpg

About the data code , mines say 09-05L3... the code is really hard to see.
So does this mean they are original?
The AAA say 09-03YJ.

Regards

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
They seem genuine to me. The appearance is right and the date codes are May and March 2009, making them brand new.

(Incidentally you should resize that large picture down to 800x600 or so, it is currently too large for the forum limits.)

wapkil

Enlightened
These Eneloops look exactly like the ones I recently bought. Except that mine have a crossed out garbage can symbol. I wonder in how many different appearances Sanyo produces these batteries. And why in so many...

I think the fake Eneloop manufacturers haven't yet started printing the date code so it seems to be the easiest way to check if the batteries are genuine.

Niconical

Enlightened
They seem fine to me, but to put your mind at rest for future purchases, there are known reputable dealers who send to Portugal at good prices.

What charger do you have? A test cycle on a Maha or Lacrosse would be a good idea.

Art

Enlightened
They seem fine to me, but to put your mind at rest for future purchases, there are known reputable dealers who send to Portugal at good prices.

What charger do you have? A test cycle on a Maha or Lacrosse would be a good idea.

Unfortunately I do not have any way to measure the charge... no maha here (only for car dynos lol never mind) or even a lacrosse so the only readings I got was the voltage.
I can put them in high at a L0D and see if they last for 1h...

They look good on a Sanyo box very well made but we can never be sure.

Im waiting for the new LL P7 200lumens to put them in and finally a P14 for me to do a review and lux readings :party:

Thanks for the help everyone.

Regards,

Niconical

Enlightened
If you send them to me, I am happy to give them a full test and break-in in a Maha C9000. I'll then send them back to you, tested, broken in, ready for action. :)

Art

Enlightened
If you send them to me, I am happy to give them a full test and break-in in a Maha C9000. I'll then send them back to you, tested, broken in, ready for action. :)

My charger has a refresh function of 200mah .. and charges at 1000mah.
Should I do that ? Is it like a break in? :thinking:

I just installed the 4 AAA in my LL P7 and will put the 4 AA now at a refresh and charge cicle.

BTW , where can I get a maha over here?

Last edited:

Niconical

Enlightened
My charger has a refresh function of 200mah .. and charges at 1000mah.
Should I do that ? Is it like a break in? :thinking:

What charger is it?
Sounds more like a simple discharge/charge function, which although useful, is not a Maha type break-in.
Also, does your charger display the final figures at the end, mah capacity?

Where can I get a maha over here?

I got both of mine from ebay, I'm not aware of anywhere in Spain/Portugal that sells them.

Art

Enlightened
What charger is it?
Sounds more like a simple discharge/charge function, which although useful, is not a Maha type break-in.
Also, does your charger display the final figures at the end, mah capacity?

I got both of mine from ebay, I'm not aware of anywhere in Spain/Portugal that sells them.

Its a simple charger that I bought on ebay. The LCD only shows a graph with 3 leves of charger / discharge. It show refresh or charge.
When I put the cells in it and press refresh it will discharge to 1v and then charge till they are full.

Should I do that to all my cells?

Cheapest Maha I found on ebay is more less 50€ with shipping... will have to think about buying one :D

Art

Enlightened
Hey!
I just made the really intelligent mistake of short circuiting one of the AA eneloops... with a digital caliper I was measuring the size and touched + and -... cell became hot in the 2secs I did this :|

Did I kill the cell? Its working now on a flashlight...

I did the refresh on all 4 yesterday , took 8h to discharge and 2,5h to fully charge to 1.45v.

Marko

Newly Enlightened
I have this new set of eneloops, arrived today from DE Hong Kong. Vents (three) around the positive post are different size and shape than usual. Is this just another batch of fakes? :confused:

eneloop1.jpg

There is a date code embossed to cell too, but its very weak, and hard to see all the numbers. Date code also has a bit different position depending of the cell.

Here is a genuine eneloop on the left, and this new one on the right.
eneloop2.jpg

Again genuine one on the left
eneloop4.jpg

eneloop5.jpg

Unfortanately my C9000 is still working with another set of cells, so I can't put those new eneloops to break-in cycle yet.