Fake AA Duracells in UK ?

broadgage

Enlightened
Does anyone know if this is much of a problem ?

I recently opened a pack of 20 AA size duracells, purchased a few years ago. Expiry December 2009 so still in date even if only just.

Put 8 of these cells in a (home made) battery fan with a current draw of about 0.2 amp.
Fan hardly turned, so tested each cell and found 3 out of the 8 virtually dead, less than 1 volt under light load.
Tested the remainder of the pack and found several more dead/very low cells.
Put the 8 best ones in the fan and got a run time of only an hour or two, compared to the about 10/12 hours normally.

Fakes ? or genuine but a dud batch ?
I cant remember where I purchased them, probably a dodgy market, in which case I suppose that it serves me right !

I consider it prudent to keep a good stock of alkalines in case of emergencies, and never buy too many of the same brand for just this reason.
I though perhaps the packs of 20 would be less liable to be faked than than the much more popular 4 packs

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they are out of date. You probably got them cheap because they were old stock.

Alkalines need to be bought and used as fresh as possible. To be "in date" the expiry date should be at least 6-8 years in the future, e.g. 2016 or better.

In every year of storage alkalines lose some significant percentage of their original capacity, worse if stored in warm conditions. By the time they reach the date on the package they may not have much use left in them.

Bones

Enlightened
Considering the number of cells involved, and the fact that they are still within the period when they should have a usable charge, it could be worth your while to register a complaint with Duracell.

It's almost a given that they will make some sort of compensatory gesture, and they may even give you a credit towards twenty new cells plus something extra for your inconvenience.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'd say it's less of a Duracel problem and more of an alkaline problem. Alkaline suck for a reason after all...

broadgage

Enlightened
The batteries were well in date when purchased, I had stored them for several years.
I fully appreciate that batteries lose something in storeage, but would still expect a reputable brand to give fair performance if in date.

I strongly suspect that these are fakes, and have posted them to Duracell UK. (together with another unopened pack)

Will advise as to the response received.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
I bought some last month, a 4 pack just for the tv remote etc, as use NIMH in everything else, and these were dreadful almost totally flat, I had not got the package to hand(bin-emptied) but went to my mate who owns his own garage and sells these, got some of his and could then see the differences.
When stood side by side it stood out, the writing/printing on the fake was not up to same std, and the colour didn't match perfectly.
I bought mine from a market(Snetterton), who I've used for years, with no problem until now, he says they are genuine, I don't suppose he knows tbh.
tabetha

broadgage

Enlightened
I returned the defective cells to the UK distributor, who have now sent to me vouchers for replacement cells.
They would not comment as to whether the cells returned were fakes or genuine but defective.