Lanyard for my knife

alligator

Newly Enlightened
I have a Spyderco knife (a dragonfly) and I want to make my own lanyard for it. I purchased the paracord, but I'm looking for a lighter to stop the ends from fraying. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't smoke, so I don't have a lighter. Where do people get those cool zippo blue torch style lighters? Is there a better brand or type?

Finally, can someone recommend a good secondary knife that is a little larger (such as for use while camping)? The dragonfly is just too small for that work.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful when you melt the ends of the paracord, the nylon is very hot....

You can use any kind of lighter. Stay away from matches - they tend to leave black soot on the end.

gpia7r

Newly Enlightened
I must ask - What is the purpose of a paracord lanyard, or lanyard in general? I think I'm missing something.

Is it to pull it out of your pocket easier? Then you've got a cord hanging out of your pocket.

Is it to swing the knife around defensively? You'd think it would swing right back and lob something off.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
One use is to wrap the cord around your wrist, that way you can't drop it.

there may be other reasons as well

JohnnyDeep

Newly Enlightened
Better than a lighter is a small butane torch, when working with the ends of paracord and other synthetic braids. I use the Blazer from http://www.smallparts.com/. Excellent product @ $26

A little larger knife, as a great companion to the Dragonfly, could be a Delica or Endura or my favorite the Caly3.

MemphisMagD

Newly Enlightened
I must ask - What is the purpose of a paracord lanyard, or lanyard in general? I think I'm missing something.

Is it to pull it out of your pocket easier? Then you've got a cord hanging out of your pocket.

Is it to swing the knife around defensively? You'd think it would swing right back and lob something off.

I like them on my knives, multi tools, and flashlights to assist in finding them when dropped. A bright lanyard can save the day when you drop something into tall grass or leaves. The knife might disappear completely under the leaves but the lanyard is usually still up top where it can be spotted. And yes a cord hanging out of your pocket can be handy for a small folder or multi tool (think leatherman squirt) that is otherwise lost among the pocket change.

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
For a lighter, try a butane torch-style lighter. If you're a big camper/EDC nut check out the Windmill Delta Stormproof lighter. If that's too pricey for you just go with any torch lighter.

As for another blade, stick with the Spyderco theme and get a Tenacious. Runs about $35 and is of fantastic quality.