Eneloop Combo Packages?

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Looking for some suggestions for a 2 bay and an 8 bay charger (AA).
I'm intending to power 2 cell lights and a tk40. The 8 bay would be used mostly, but it would nice to have a travel size 2 bay.

No particular budget, short charge time would be nice, ease of use (plug and go), saw one package that came with a pair of AAA's...which I could certainly put to use. I'd prefer to purchase 2-4 AA's now, and eventually purchase an additional 16 later

2 Bay Charger
I originally saw the travel eneloop package that is a small travel(2bay) charger that comes with 4 AA batteries. Perfect for my 2 cell flashlight. However, did some reading up on the charger...
1) For one, it sounds like they sell NUMEROUS different versions of chargers in this package ugh, whats the diff? (Costco...CA vs. US???)
2) It charges in pairs vs. individually (are there ANY 2 Bays that charge individually?) *I will ALWAYS be charging them in matched pairs. Is it THAT big of a deal?

8 Bay Charger
*MH-C800S
*MH-C801D
*Maha MH C808M
(additionally charges C & D batteries, which I don't necessarily need...may in future. But have heard some people prefer this version regardless?)
*Maha 801/808 (is this the general name for the above chargers?)

I think the main difference between the 800 and the 801 is a 1 hr vs. 2hr charge ability? I've read up on both...but frankly don't understand half of it o_O

So in sum, I'd like a good 8 bay charger and someone to tell me whether or not the travel size chargers are utter crap. (or better alternatives, certainly does NOT have to be one of the ones mentioned above. Please specify exact model name, it's confusing! ). Thanks!

*I know a lot of people recommend the Maha C9000, but I really really prefer the travel 2 bay size

Last edited:

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Think I'm leaning towards the MAHA MH-C801D
thomasdistributing.com

and one of the travel eneloop combos...which one? (I figure that I'll only use this charger when I travel and the maha will sufficiently compensate for the deficiencies of the travel charger)

Any favorite distributors? Cheapest...

Bones

Enlightened
I can't immediately recall the details on all the Sanyo travel chargers flasherByNight, but I just confirmed the model MDR02 has fully independent charging channels, a full suite of charging controls and an internal 120-240 volt power supply.

This post will lead you to a .pdf chart with a side-by-side comparison of several Sanyo chargers:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com ... post2984419

Insofar as I recall, the MahaEnergy MH-C800S and MH-C801D are virtually identical with the exception of their power supplies.

The MH-C801D comes with a monster power supply with a changeable cord which enables it to charge AA cells in one hour.

This page contains a side-by-side comparision and links leading to the respective product pages for both:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/8compare.asp

Insofar as venders are concerned, I'm sure most here would agree you can't go wrong Thoms Distributing.

clintb

Enlightened
Good little charger! I have it, as well as the MNQ05, or something like that. Both are compact and do the job very well.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
went to 4 ritz cameras, rat shack, best...ok, rat shack and BB were just for the hell of it:whistle:

nada! First ritz said they normally carry it... :duh2:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Yes, where do you find the Sanyo independent charging chargers that charge at 600mA's or more? Costco in my area does not carry them anymore, just the very low mA charger.

Bill

flasherByNight

Enlightened
what model #?
Thomasdistributing like many ppl have mentioned seem to have most the sanyo chargers

flasherByNight

Enlightened
hmm, instead of getting the travel charger I'm wondering why I shouldn't just get the Mobile Booster (Sanyo Eneloop Mobile Booster KBC-E1S-SP +2AA Eneloop). It charges PLUS acts as a mobile boost....for like 10$ more. Anyone know if it independently charges as well?

Bones

Enlightened
hmm, instead of getting the travel charger I'm wondering why I shouldn't just get the Mobile Booster (Sanyo Eneloop Mobile Booster KBC-E1S-SP +2AA Eneloop). It charges PLUS acts as a mobile boost....for like 10$ more. Anyone know if it independently charges as well?

The chart I pointed you to in post 4 contains a comprehensive checklist on the attributes of the KBC-E1S flasherByNight.

If you have questions about the charger that are not provided by the chart, feel free to ask. I have one.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
ah, didn't really pay attention to the part at the bottom...duh

So I'm assuming "Individual Charging Control" is the feature I was talking about ?(so yes).

What are your feelings about it? Does my logic make sense of choosing this one over the travel charger legit? (seeing as the additional cost is a non-issue for me). (weird, it actually seems "more feature rich" given that'll also charge nicd....)

And any local (US) places sell it...still seems like I gotta get this thing from japan o_O

*OH, my big question/assumption has been...I've been assuming that I can just plug the usb end into my generic usb-->AC adapter and charge like that instead of via a usb port...correct?

Last edited:

Bones

Enlightened
Hi flasherByNight.

The feature you were talking about is "Individual Charging Control", so yes, it has fully idependent charging channels.

Generally, it seems to be very competent little charger/mobile booster, and its charging times are not excessive for a USB powered device.

Here's its input/output numbers:

Input: DC 5.0V / 500mA Maximum (USB Mini-B)

Charger Output: DC 1.2V / 450mA x 2 Cells / 850mA x 1 Cell

Booster Output: DC 5.0V / 500mA (USB-A)

A pleasant surprise has been how well it performs under less than optimum input, which is contrary to the advice in its manual. For example, I connected it to a USB 1.1 port on a 10 year old Dell tower which was simultaneously powering USB devices with all its other ports, and it never exhibited any problems.

It will also operate just fine from a generic USB adapter, but for optimum performance, is should output an honest 500mA.

Finally, it doesn't accomodate AAA cells natively, so spacers are required for this purpose. Rare earth magnets should work well.

After determing they're a good fit, I've been using a couple of magnetic bits from a little tool pouch I travel with. Their standard 1/4 inch shanks allow enough pressure for a solid connection without over-extending the chargers tangs:

kbc-e1s-front-with-spacers.jpg

Respecting sources, perhaps check eBay.com and Amazon.com before going off-shore.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
It will also operate just fine from a generic USB adapter, but for optimum performance, is should output an honest 500mA.

Finally, it doesn't accomodate AAA cells natively, so spacers are required for this purpose. Rare earth magnets should work well.

After determing they're a good fit, I've been using a couple of magnetic bits from a little tool pouch I travel with. Their standard 1/4 inch shanks allow enough pressure for a solid connection without over-extending the chargers tangs:

ahh, thanks for the info.
Other than using a multimeter (one of these days I'll get one...). Anyway to know what it outputs?
Good to know about AAA's.

Bones

Enlightened
Other than using a multimeter (one of these days I'll get one...). Anyway to know what it outputs?

I think so, its output to the cells its charging and its output in booster mode are set down in post 13.

It's capacity output would depend on the the capacity and state of charge of the cells its relying upon.