"NEW ADVANCED CONTROL CIRCUIT"

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
\"NEW ADVANCED CONTROL CIRCUIT\"

Taken straight out of the CCRANE cataloge "Our new ADVANCED CONTROL CIRCUIT makes the most of Led efficiency. It protects the leds from the overdriving affects of fresh batteries, and it boosts the current when bettery power decreases. The **** is so efficient it actually yields more light from fewer led`s a and with less power. The 12-LED Expedition gives you more light and uses less power than the original 19-led Expedition. It now work well with NiCad or NiMH batteries, making led flashlights even more cost effective".

The new 600 is priced at $69.95 and the 1200 at $99.95. www.ccrane.com Does anyone have one?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \"NEW ADVANCED CONTROL CIRCUIT\"

[ QUOTE ]
KenB said:
Taken straight out of the CCRANE cataloge "Our new ADVANCED CONTROL CIRCUIT makes the most of Led efficiency.

[/ QUOTE ]

I´ll bet my 2€cents this is something as advanced as a resistor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would loose my 2 €cents then but wouldn´t bet the bank on it - if you are "in da know" why not spill the beans ?

Klaus

Entropy

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
[ QUOTE ]
KenB said:
Taken straight out of the CCRANE cataloge "Our new ADVANCED CONTROL CIRCUIT makes the most of Led efficiency.

[/ QUOTE ]

I´ll bet my 2€cents this is something as advanced as a resistor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]
Given that they stated that it now works well on NiCd/NiMH, it's most likely a switching regulator a la BadBoy or MadMax.

Nothing new, ARC and company have been doing it for ages.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

Old topic - look at the runtime graph on their page - It boosts the output, but there's no real change in the rate of diminishing output. Rather poor regulation going on. Even Palights have flat output... Plus brighter output and/or fewer LEDs - must be driving the heck out of those LEDs.

cctrek_acc_graph.gif

ccexpedition_acc_graph.gif

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
Re:

[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam: "Even Palights have flat output..."

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean "even the Palights.." !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

I may not own 100 flashlights, but in my book, PALights are pretty snazzy little flashlights, esp. when you consider that they only cost $17... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

Smaug: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If Palights can get it right in a $17 light, why can't CCrane get it right in lights that cost 3-4 times that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

If your going to add a circuit, make it a good one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

Hmm, poop. I don`t know what to think...is the start point much higher then you would expect to get Doug? Sort of like my spealing has improved? They do say It`s much brighter then the original...12 led`s as bright as the old 19 was...so maybe this must be factored in? Or it this the old rasel-dazzel them. And they`l never get wise. {stolen from the movei Chicogo).

BillM

Newly Enlightened
Re:

Yeah, I own one of the new C Crane 600's. I also own one of their 1400's and a Lightwave 3000. The first I bought was the 3000( my first full size led light). While pretty bright, it showed dimming in a couple of hours of intermittant use. It was not a test so much as an unexpected observation (based on the hundreds of hours claimed. Last summer I bought the 1400. With fresh Energizers, I took it for a shallow scuba dive in 80 deg water. After an hour underwater, the light was very noticeably dimmer. A rough guess is it lost 1/4 to 1/3 of it's output in an hour of constant on. Maybe I did something wrong but it was not what I was hoping for at all.

Now enter the C Crane 600. I did the constant on test a few months ago. It did not dim at all to my eyes for over 4 hours. Naturally it burnt for days and did slowly get dimmer. While the other lights were profoundly dimmer in just an hour or so, the 600 went about 8 hours before I could say the same for it (and went to bed). The strange part is my testing in no way matched the discharge curve on their website.

As an aside, I did a direct comparison test between the 1400 and the 600. It was to find out if the lower draw on the 600 would finally allow it to be brighter than the 1400. After 48 hours of constant on (starting with fresh batteries) the 600 never even equalled the brightness of the 1400. At the end of the test I even switched out the batteries between lights. The 1400 was still easily brighter, aka, more light.

The final thing I did was, at night, to set both lights outside facing the yard. I walked about 100 ft away from them and compared brightness. Even though the 1400's 14 leds were clearly putting out more total light, the 6 leds on the 600 were clearly brighter per led. This was after about 48 of constant on.

I am pretty impressed with the 600. I may try their new 1200 but was hoping to get some reports in before I decide.

Entropy

Enlightened
Re:

[ QUOTE ]
Pi_is_blue said:
Their Lumens measures seem VERY high.

[/ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe that they're running 6 5W Luxeons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
Re: New advanced control circuit?

Here's a review of the CC Exp 600 I found from C Crane's website:

http://www.hardwaremaniac.com/reviews/ccrane/expedition600_01.htm

CC also states that their "new" 12 LED 1200 is brighter than their old 19 LED version. A while ago, they had the 19-LED adapter on sale, I bought one, it has older and significantly dimmer LEDs than do their more recent 14 LED light, which is far brighter. Even the original 7 LED version 3C light, once I upgraded it with 7 of the 9200 mCd Nichias, as almost as bright as the older 19.

The 14 and 19 LED, and newer adapters are potted in white epoxy, which makes LED upgrading a lot more difficult. The 7 LED was not potted.

/ed B in NH

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't like knocking CCrane, I love their battery charger, and the sale on the AA dummy cells was great, BUT I'm starting to think that this "Advanced Control" circuit is more hype than anything...

Any way you cut it, if the 6 LED light is brighter than the 7 LED light, or the 12 is brighter than the 19, those poor little LEDs are being driven like dogs in a race through the arctic.

As for "regulation", here's a good graph of a regulated light (Palight):

pal.jpg

Note the "flat top" regulation.

I guess the CCrane lights would be "semi regulated" at best (aka voltage boost circuit) based on the declining curve they display on the graph. I just don't see the benefit of driving the LEDs harder and yet having almost the same rate of decent on the curve. The lights by themselves already produce light for a rediculous amount of time, and it's not like the voltage from the batteries is too low to drive the LEDs as-is... I'd love to see flat top regulation in the lights, but as for a simple boost circuit - what's the need other than marketing?

Sorry... feeling very cynical today.

Empath

Flashaholic

Hemingray, you need to alter your sigline. The graphic is far too large and will likely contribute to a decision to severly limit the use of taglines.