14500 w/o button top problem for Quark

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys. I have some Tenergy 14500 protected li-ion batteries that do not have a button top. They do not work in my Quark lights because of the reverse polarity protection. The positive tip does not make contact with the terminal because the top of the battery is flush. I have 2 single AA Quark lights. I was hoping for some suggestions about how I can make these 14500 batteries work in my Quark lights. Thanks in advance for your help.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small rare earth magnet might do the trick to create a button top for the cell.

But even though they are strong magnets, you run the risk of it moving and possibly shorting something.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to get an actual button top somewhere and solder it onto the battery? How are button tops attached at the factory? Are they just making contact and then shrink wrapped or are they soldered? Thanks again.

lolzertank

Enlightened
Batteries should never be soldered to anything. They can get damaged from the heat and with LiCo cells, damage can turn into major :poof:.

At the factory, I would think that they're molded into the positive plate which is then attached normally to the cell. Either that or the button is spot-welded onto the cell.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions. When I ordered these batteries I thought that they had a button protrusion on them. I knew I needed buttons so I did not purposely get flat top 14500. It's killing me to have 4 - 14500 on hand now for my Quarks and not be able to use them.:banghead:

Latest posts