The Fenix-Store
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

Default Re: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

Scott, I just sent you an e-mail regarding an idea for a project light.

The reason why I'm posting here, is because I remembered that both Donn and Gene mentioned my e-mails to them had ended up in their spam folders.

In case that happens again, please check your spam folder.
    Thank You.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Icon15 Re: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

u2 reflector + xp-g = ?

I think the viewing angle is close...

Monocrom,

are ALL those room sweepers in the pictures yours?

Crenshaw

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    Monocrom,

are ALL those room sweepers in the pictures yours?

Crenshaw
    I wish!

But no. The E2E Satin Gunmetal version is mine.
    (I'd love a one-cell Room Sweeper, but the 17670 versions are a better fit in my hand).
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I wish!

But no. The E2E Satin Gunmetal version is mine.
    (I'd love a one-cell Room Sweeper, but the 17670 versions are a better fit in my hand).
    Kewl......

I have a new project in the works....sort of room sweeper inspired....

E1e LED (not a Kx1 head)

Crenshaw

Quote Originally Posted by Loomy View Post
    u2 reflector + xp-g = ?

I think the viewing angle is close...
    It would work.

I posed a question in Part 3 of this thread to which no one ever replied, so here it is again:

Scott,
    I have a question regarding my U2by2 build, and perhaps other U2by2 owners can chime in...

No matter at what level I turn it on, regardless of momentary switch engagement or fully clicked on, it always flashes briefly (< 1/4 sec) on the lowest level before coming to full brightness of the level selected. I never used a U2 prior to having this one modded, so is this behavior present in all U2s, other modded U2s, or just mine?

Mostly this is not a bother, but I would prefer to have the tactical ability (dog walking for a shelter in a sketchy neighborhood) to turn it on at full brightness without any delay or being given away by momentary and less-than-optimal illumination.

Thoughts?

I do not see that in my light. Maybe it's too quick for me to catch but I just don't see it happening at all.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayLight View Post
    I posed a question in Part 3 of this thread to which no one ever replied, so here it is again:

Scott,
    I have a question regarding my U2by2 build, and perhaps other U2by2 owners can chime in...

No matter at what level I turn it on, regardless of momentary switch engagement or fully clicked on, it always flashes briefly (< 1/4 sec) on the lowest level before coming to full brightness of the level selected. I never used a U2 prior to having this one modded, so is this behavior present in all U2s, other modded U2s, or just mine?

Mostly this is not a bother, but I would prefer to have the tactical ability (dog walking for a shelter in a sketchy neighborhood) to turn it on at full brightness without any delay or being given away by momentary and less-than-optimal illumination.

Thoughts?
    You mean the brief low output blink happens when turning the selector ring, right? Assuming that's the case, it sounds like the magnet embedded in your selector ring has lost some of its strength. That can happen due to heat... possibly from heating the head during the mod, possibly from lots of runtime at full power, and every once in a while a light may come that way from the factory. I do have magnets to replace the ones in those rings... only thing is, I would need to borrow your light to make the change (of course), and there's a small chance of damaging the selector ring when trying to pull it off to do the repair. For those reasons, my advice would be to leave it as-is if this is only a minor issue for you... but if it really gets on your nerves, then by all means we could take care of it. Let me know if you need me.
    --Scott

Unrelated PM sent!

I keep reading about the "focusable" Milky L1's.

How does it focus?

Is this like the aspheric lights that go from flood to zoom?

I have only seen aspheric Mag, Lenslight mini, DX zoom, and Packhorse IST aspherics light so I was just wondering how the fucusable works on the Millky L1.

Thank you,
    bigC

P.S. I have my stock newer version L1. I want the most possible throw with no regard to runtime. Just a high mode and at least 300 lumens. Did I mention I would like to use 17500 AW cells too Spill is not needed because I already have a lego Aleph M30WF that fits that purpose.
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

So, when do we see a U2by2 in XPG?

Jose, the threadlock on the bezel is removed, allowing the TIR to be moved either closer or farther from the emitter.
    Last edited by RyanA; 10-09-2009 at 12:23 AM.
    siamo il rumore

Quote Originally Posted by RyanA View Post
    So, when do we see a U2by2 in XPG?

Jose, the threadlock on the bezel is removed, allowing the TIR to be moved either closer or farther from the emitter.

Ryan, U2by2 in XP-G is no problem, just as soon as I have my supply of XP-G! It's on the way to me right now as far as I know. I've already built one or two U2by2 using XP-E, which turned out nicely. For that matter, the Rebel-100 emitters are still surprisingly good performers, especially when one considers how long they've been on the market!

We live in good times as far as emitter choices... even limiting the whole universe to the context of the U2by2, the choices at the moment seem to be really good, really REALLY good, and really REEEAAAALLLLY good!

Regarding L1, one technicality: in addition to removing the Loktite I clean the threads as much as possible while leaving the HA in place (IMHO it helps make for smooth action), then replace the stock o-ring with either silicone or viton, depending on the goal in terms of easy vs. firmer action, and finally, lay down a coating of Krytox lubricant. The focusability itself delivers a fine tuning capability that takes the beam from a soft hotspot with some spill, to a particularly intense hotspot having less sidespill.
    --Scott

Hi Scott,

It looks like Defabrica just put an XP-G in a E2DL and it focuses with the tir optic too.

EDIT: I want the most throw and it appears the XR-E R2 is still king. I cant wait to see my L1 with XR-E R2. Tight and super tight hot spot.

Thanks,
    Jose
    Last edited by bigchelis; 10-19-2009 at 10:26 PM.
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    You mean the brief low output blink happens when turning the selector ring, right? Assuming that's the case, it sounds like the magnet embedded in your selector ring has lost some of its strength. That can happen due to heat... possibly from heating the head during the mod, possibly from lots of runtime at full power, and every once in a while a light may come that way from the factory. I do have magnets to replace the ones in those rings... only thing is, I would need to borrow your light to make the change (of course), and there's a small chance of damaging the selector ring when trying to pull it off to do the repair. For those reasons, my advice would be to leave it as-is if this is only a minor issue for you... but if it really gets on your nerves, then by all means we could take care of it. Let me know if you need me.
    Negative. Low output blink occurs when turning the light from off to any level, not changing between levels when it's already on.

This light has seen very little use, so I have not run it on high, or any level, for more than a minute. Therefore, I don't think runtime heat damage is the culprit, though you've described a different behavior than what I am seeing.

I wouldn't mind sending it back to you, but I'd like to have some sort of probable diagnosis before we run the risk of breaking it during disassembly.

For reference, I noticed this behavior immediately after receiving my modded U2, but I sat on the query because I wasn't using the light much for some time. It really didn't bug me at first, but now that I do want to use it more, this issue is starting to get my attention.

is there a list of all your services or do you just discuss options and possibilities via email/phone?

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
    Hi Scott,

It looks like Defabrica just put an XP-G in a E2DL and it focuses with the tir optic too.

EDIT: I want the most throw and it appears the XR-E R2 is still king. I cant wait to see my L1 with XR-E R2. Tight and super tight hot spot.

Her
    Thanks,
    Jose
    Jose, sounds like we're still going with the original plan of CreeXRE-R2.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayLight View Post
    Negative. Low output blink occurs when turning the light from off to any level, not changing between levels when it's already on.

This light has seen very little use, so I have not run it on high, or any level, for more than a minute. Therefore, I don't think runtime heat damage is the culprit, though you've described a different behavior than what I am seeing.

I wouldn't mind sending it back to you, but I'd like to have some sort of probable diagnosis before we run the risk of breaking it during disassembly.

For reference, I noticed this behavior immediately after receiving my modded U2, but I sat on the query because I wasn't using the light much for some time. It really didn't bug me at first, but now that I do want to use it more, this issue is starting to get my attention.
    StrayLight, I cannot make a probable diagnosis as I haven't encountered this type of behavior before. Maybe the best thing would be to speak via phone so I could learn a little more in real time. Would that be okay?

Quote Originally Posted by KAP View Post
    is there a list of all your services or do you just discuss options and possibilities via email/phone?
    KAP, I don't have an all-inclusive list of my services, partly because I continue to expand the possibilities! That said, here's a very incomplete assortment that might at least be a start on such a list...

Red Eye - Single brightness in E1E head, max output 100-200 lumens depending on build specifics, available in regular or high CRI warm white

Room Sweeper (on E1E or E2E) - Single brightness 600-800 lumens with extra wide spill in E1E or E2E, running on one rechargeable

Boxter - Multi brightness in KL4 head with Seoul P4 emitter, max output roughly 230 lumens, runs full power on 1x rechargeable or 2x primaries, available in regular or high CRI warm white

Seoulmator - Multi brightness in KL1 head with Seoul P4 emitter, max output roughly 230 lumens, runs full power on 1x rechargeable or 2x primaries, available in regular or high CRI warm white

Luna - Multi brightness in KL1 or KL4 head with Luxeon K2-TFFC emitter, max output just short of 300 lumens, runs full power on 1x rechargeable or 2x primaries

Gosling - Multi brightness in KX1 or KX2 or E1B or E2DL or KL4 head with CreeMCE emitter, max output roughly 500-600 lumens, runs full power on 1x rechargeable ONLY, available in regular or warm white

Creemator - Multi brightness in KX1 or KX2 or E1B or E2DL head with CreeXRE emitter, max output roughly 322 lumens, runs at or near full power on 1x rechargeable or 2x primaries, available in regular or warm white

Gossamer - Multi brightness in KX1 or KX2 or E1B or E2DL or KL4 head with CreeMCE emitter, max output roughly 700 lumens, runs full power on 2x rechargeables or 3x primaries, available in regular or warm white

Milky L1 'Floodmaster' or 'Smoothie' - L1rev1 or L1rev2 host with hand-chosen best-available LED, typically Seoul P4 or Luxeon K2-TFFC, as well as suitable reflector and flat dual-AR-coated ultraclear glass lens, optionally with upgraded circuitry for higher output and/or recalibrated tail for ultralow low beam, compatible with 1x primary or rechargeable cell, available in regular or high CRI warm white

Milky L1 'Legolas' - L1 with customized variation on the 'Creemator' (as described above) built into the head and body bored for a 17500 or 17650 rechargeable as appropriate, with max output approaching 300 lumens and exceptional throw, available in regular or warm white

L1 'Tradesman' - L1rev1 or L1rev2 host with CreeMCE and suitable optic in head plus L2 circuitry transplanted into body, max output roughly 300-400 lumens, compatible with 1x rechargeable (recommend IMR16340), available in regular or warm white

Gotham - 100% custom flashlight resulting from a Leef/Milkyspit collaboration, featuring custom body with art deco design reminiscent of the Chrysler Building in New York City, originally with Seoul P4 but now available with various LEDs, running multiple brightness with max output roughly 200 lumens (Seoul P4) or just short of 300 lumens (Luxeon K2-TFFC) 322 lumens (CreeXRE), compatible with 1x18650 rechargeable or 2x123 primaries, available in regular or high CRI warm white

Milky L2 - L2 host with CreeMCE and suitable optic in head, max output roughly 300-400 lumens, compatible with 2x123 primaries, available in regular or warm white

KL3 'Optimator' or 'Heat Miser' or 'Luminator' - single or multiple brightness with any of several emitters from Seoul P4 through Seoul P7 or CreeMCE, max output dependent on emitter but anywhere from 230 through 700 lumens, available in regular or warm white

KL6 'Sparkplug' - KL6 using stock reflector but running CreeMCE or Seoul P7 or Osram Diamond Dragon with single or multiple brightness, max output roughly 400-700 lumens depending on build specifics, available in regular or warm white

Project-M in M3 or KL2 Heads - typically 3-4 CreeXRE or Seoul P4 or Luxeon K2-TFFC emitters in a KL2 or M3 head, single or multiple brightness, max output roughly 300-1086 lumens depending on build specifics, available in regular or high CRI warm white

KT4 Tower Module - Drop-in light engine shaped like the lamp assemblies used in KT4 or similar turbo heads, typically running Seoul P4 or Luxeon K2-TFFC, max output roughly 150-300 lumens depending on build specifics, available in regular or high CRI warm white

KT4 'Stencil' or 'Stencil Pinky' - typically 7-8 CreeXRE or Seoul P4 or Luxeon K2-TFFC emitters in a KT4 turbo head, single or multiple brightness, max output roughly 700-1900 lumens depending on build specifics, available in regular or high CRI warm white or in blended white-with-red-orange array for enhanced color rendering, this last option available with fixed color enhancement (rendering stays about the same as the light dims) or variable color enhancement (beam becomes more red as the light dims)

Project-M in Mag Standard or Custom Host - Similar to 'Stencil' or 'Stencil Pinky' as described above, but build into a standard or customized Maglite host

Totally Custom - pretty much anything!
    --Scott

Hi Scott.

Hope you got my last PM.

I'm definitely still interested in that "Totally Custom" light. Please PM me with the details. Thanks.

Wow. Nice product line, Scott.
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

KAP, I don't have an all-inclusive list of my services, partly because I continue to expand the possibilities! That said, here's a very incomplete assortment that might at least be a start on such a list...

Red Eye - Single brightness in E1E head, max output 100-200 lumens depending on build specifics, available in regular or high CRI warm white

Room Sweeper (on E1E or E2E) - Single brightness 600-800 lumens with extra wide spill in E1E or E2E, running on one rechargeable

Boxter - Multi brightness in KL4 head with Seoul P4 emitter, max output roughly 230 lumens, runs full power on 1x rechargeable or 2x primaries, available in regular or high CRI warm white

Seoulmator - Multi brightness in KL1 head with Seoul P4 emitter, max output roughly 230 lumens, runs full power on 1x rechargeable or 2x primaries, available in regular or high CRI warm white

Luna - Multi brightness in KL1 or KL4 head with Luxeon K2-TFFC emitter, max output just short of 300 lumens, runs full power on 1x rechargeable or 2x primaries

Gosling - Multi brightness in KX1 or KX2 or E1B or E2DL or KL4 head with CreeMCE emitter, max output roughly 500-600 lumens, runs full power on 1x rechargeable ONLY, available in regular or warm white

Creemator - Multi brightness in KX1 or KX2 or E1B or E2DL head with CreeXRE emitter, max output roughly 322 lumens, runs at or near full power on 1x rechargeable or 2x primaries, available in regular or warm white

Gossamer - Multi brightness in KX1 or KX2 or E1B or E2DL or KL4 head with CreeMCE emitter, max output roughly 700 lumens, runs full power on 2x rechargeables or 3x primaries, available in regular or warm white

Milky L1 'Floodmaster' or 'Smoothie' - L1rev1 or L1rev2 host with hand-chosen best-available LED, typically Seoul P4 or Luxeon K2-TFFC, as well as suitable reflector and flat dual-AR-coated ultraclear glass lens, optionally with upgraded circuitry for higher output and/or recalibrated tail for ultralow low beam, compatible with 1x primary or rechargeable cell, available in regular or high CRI warm white

Milky L1 'Legolas' - L1 with customized variation on the 'Creemator' (as described above) built into the head and body bored for a 17500 or 17650 rechargeable as appropriate, with max output approaching 300 lumens and exceptional throw, available in regular or warm white

L1 'Tradesman' - L1rev1 or L1rev2 host with CreeMCE and suitable optic in head plus L2 circuitry transplanted into body, max output roughly 300-400 lumens, compatible with 1x rechargeable (recommend IMR16340), available in regular or warm white

Gotham - 100% custom flashlight resulting from a Leef/Milkyspit collaboration, featuring custom body with art deco design reminiscent of the Chrysler Building in New York City, originally with Seoul P4 but now available with various LEDs, running multiple brightness with max output roughly 200 lumens (Seoul P4) or just short of 300 lumens (Luxeon K2-TFFC) 322 lumens (CreeXRE), compatible with 1x18650 rechargeable or 2x123 primaries, available in regular or high CRI warm white

Milky L2 - L2 host with CreeMCE and suitable optic in head, max output roughly 300-400 lumens, compatible with 2x123 primaries, available in regular or warm white

KL3 'Optimator' or 'Heat Miser' or 'Luminator' - single or multiple brightness with any of several emitters from Seoul P4 through Seoul P7 or CreeMCE, max output dependent on emitter but anywhere from 230 through 700 lumens, available in regular or warm white

KL6 'Sparkplug' - KL6 using stock reflector but running CreeMCE or Seoul P7 or Osram Diamond Dragon with single or multiple brightness, max output roughly 400-700 lumens depending on build specifics, available in regular or warm white

Project-M in M3 or KL2 Heads - typically 3-4 CreeXRE or Seoul P4 or Luxeon K2-TFFC emitters in a KL2 or M3 head, single or multiple brightness, max output roughly 300-1086 lumens depending on build specifics, available in regular or high CRI warm white

KT4 Tower Module - Drop-in light engine shaped like the lamp assemblies used in KT4 or similar turbo heads, typically running Seoul P4 or Luxeon K2-TFFC, max output roughly 150-300 lumens depending on build specifics, available in regular or high CRI warm white

KT4 'Stencil' or 'Stencil Pinky' - typically 7-8 CreeXRE or Seoul P4 or Luxeon K2-TFFC emitters in a KT4 turbo head, single or multiple brightness, max output roughly 700-1900 lumens depending on build specifics, available in regular or high CRI warm white or in blended white-with-red-orange array for enhanced color rendering, this last option available with fixed color enhancement (rendering stays about the same as the light dims) or variable color enhancement (beam becomes more red as the light dims)

Project-M in Mag Standard or Custom Host - Similar to 'Stencil' or 'Stencil Pinky' as described above, but build into a standard or customized Maglite host

Totally Custom - pretty much anything!
    ...show off!

MSax
    I wish I could afford a BarnBurner!

Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water..... Our shark.

wow! very impressive. thanks for posting that, milky.
    when you say "...runs at full power..." do you mean direct drive?

Ooooo.. am i getting a red eye?

it was an awesome movie too..

Crenshaw

well I am still waiting for my flashligh parts (KL3-HA and ARC AA Bezel heads) sent in July 2008.... My main concern is the old gen. 1 SureFire KL3-HA Bezel which I hope will be done soon...
    (- one LED, one stage, High Output, whiteish and no donut beam useing 3x 123A or 2x 18650)

I hope you've got your U2 by now, Desertrat21

Take care Scott

PA

Quote Originally Posted by Per Arne View Post
    well I am still waiting for my flashligh parts (KL3-HA and ARC AA Bezel heads) sent in July 2008.... My main concern is the old gen. 1 SureFire KL3-HA Bezel which I hope will be done soon...
    (- one LED, one stage, High Output, whiteish and no donut beam useing 3x 123A or 2x 18650)

I hope you've got your U2 by now, Desertrat21

Take care Scott

PA
    wait a second. you're waiting for milky to finish stuff you sent him 15 months ago? or am i missing something?

wait a second. you're waiting for milky to finish stuff you sent him 15 months ago? or am i missing something?

Per Arne sent me a box full of lights for which we had no predetermined plan on what to build in them. The build plan came together very slowly, which was partly my fault.

On the other hand, his lights will end up far better for the wait as I'm using better components than had been available at first. That does seem to be the case in this sort of situation. If something better comes along after I receive a light for a build and the project isn't already too far along to change course, I upgrade to the better components, so long as the customer is okay with that.

The builds that end up in this sort of circumstance tend to be ones for which there's not a solid plan going in, or for which parts availability is a problem for one reason or another. One special case historically has been U2by2 builds, which often go through the build process 2-4 times before all the LEDs pass their initial burn-in period without incident. Another case that sometimes happens is one in which a customer becomes unreachable after the fact... that's happened a few times.

It's never a situation I enjoy being in, but every once in a while it does happen.
    --Scott

Per Arne sent me a box full of lights for which we had no predetermined plan on what to build in them. The build plan came together very slowly, which was partly my fault.

On the other hand, his lights will end up far better for the wait as I'm using better components than had been available at first. That does seem to be the case in this sort of situation. If something better comes along after I receive a light for a build and the project isn't already too far along to change course, I upgrade to the better components, so long as the customer is okay with that.

The builds that end up in this sort of circumstance tend to be ones for which there's not a solid plan going in, or for which parts availability is a problem for one reason or another. One special case historically has been U2by2 builds, which often go through the build process 2-4 times before all the LEDs pass their initial burn-in period without incident. Another case that sometimes happens is one in which a customer becomes unreachable after the fact... that's happened a few times.

It's never a situation I enjoy being in, but every once in a while it does happen.
    thats a great plan. If i had a steady stream of spare cash,i would just buy parts and have them sent to milkylabs, and then think of stuff to build....

Crenshaw

i'm thinking about a 'room sweeper' type light. what head would produce a better end result, the E2D or the E2DL?

i'm thinking about a 'room sweeper' type light. what head would produce a better end result, the E2D or the E2DL?
    E2D

The E2DL would be more suited to a Creemator build because of the TIR

Crenshaw

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    E2D

The E2DL would be more suited to a Creemator build because of the TIR

Crenshaw
    i'm assuming that a led build in the E2D head would not be reglated. just direct drive right?
    is it possible though, to do a single mode 'room sweeper' light that has a regulated driver?

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast