Storacell
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1215161718192021222324252627282932 ... LastLast

Thread: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

Default Re: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

Just got my two most recent milky-builds in the mail. Thanks Scott. All I can say is WOW! Just perfect. Here are some pics, beamshots after the break...

The first is a simple emitter swap in my HDS Rotary 200. I wanted a warmer XPG than the stock, so Scott hooked me up with an R4(NW) and I couldn't be happier. Perfectly centered, and perfectly warm. This makes the rotary practically perfect now IMO.

The second light is a slightly more involved build and one that I am very excited about. I sent in my Cree L1 to Scott and told him I wanted something brighter and warmer with some real punch. I wanted a smooth beam, but decent throw and a warm tint but good output. I knew these things were an either-or dichotomy, but I wanted to see what Scott would come up with. He did not disappoint, but rather far exceeded my expectations.

The tale of the tape: Milky TIGER special reserve. Cree XPE-R2(NW) Carlo20mm. Cust Fabr AlumSink. Acorn 1.0 fw:elm 15ohm. Use 1x Li-Ion (preferred) or 2x primaries.

The XPE and optic produce a solid ram of a hotspot that spills into a diminishing corona that has no discernible edge. The light throws as well as my Rotary 200, but with a wider hotspot, and less sidespill. In a very scientific ceiling bounce test, it puts out a little more light than my LX2.

Scott gave me firmware customization that allows three different modes. The L1 tail cap works as it did stock, giving a hi and a low setting, but 10 quick presses puts the light into medium level, so that the runtime is greatly improved for about half the perceived brightness. 15 quick presses will put the light in low mode, low enough for night adapted eyes and many many hours of runtime. I like the 10 and 15 press spacing on these different levels because they are long enough so as not to be accidentally activated, but also short enough that it is not cumbersome to change levels with frequency. I have been using this light for about 3 days now, and it is a 1000% improvement on the stock L1 in every area, beam tint, output, beam smoothness, runtime. I couldn't be happier.

Here are some beamshots:

L1 Tiger mod on the Left, Rotary 200 XPG-R4(NW) on the Right

Rotary 200 XPG-R4(NW)

L1 Tiger Mod

Stock SF U2A

Stock HDS clicky 170 (GDP emitter)
    Last edited by SCblur; 01-07-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    U2 | G2L | G2Z | L4 | LX2 | A2 | E2e | Mag2C ROP-LE | ML1 | ML1-X | L1-Cree | SF-III | T1A w/ XP-G | Malkoff MD2 w/ M60L, HAIII 6P w/ M60,M61

One of Milky's latest on a DLC coated McClicky 2-pak.

I'll try to get a family photo outside later of my 3 milkys

TIGER JOINING THESE !!!
    Last edited by nfetterly; 01-27-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCblur View Post
    Just got my two most recent milky-builds in the mail. Thanks Scott. All I can say is WOW! Just perfect. Here are some pics, beamshots after the break...

The second light is a slightly more involved build and one that I am very excited about. I sent in my Cree L1 to Scott and told him I wanted something brighter and warmer with some real punch. I wanted a smooth beam, but decent throw and a warm tint but good output. I knew these things were an either-or dichotomy, but I wanted to see what Scott would come up with. He did not disappoint, but rather far exceeded my expectations.
    That L1 Tiger looks like a REAL WINNER!!

I recently picked up a triple with neutral XP-Es in it - that Neutral XP-E is a heck of a nice LED for tint & throw.

Congrats guys some nice lights there.

Ever since I got my two Milky creations my other lights are gathering dust

The miser mode on my Moal rocks...
    Last edited by Paulinski; 01-08-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Hey milky, sent you a PM today...

A few ideas regarding using an HDS light (current or previous gen. Clicky).

----------
    And as far as the others' projects: Beautiful work and excellent photos'! I love seeing such excellent work done!
    I love my HDS/Ra Clicky... My only wish would be a 5th(accessible thru a 2click press) mode, and a 2AA tube.

Thumbs up Re: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

Just recived this one from the Milky Labs...

Thank you Scott, this light is amazing!!

Congrats - looks awesome...^^^

My 2nd (actually my wife's 1st) Milkyspit creation Thanks a million, Scott! She loves it!

Here is a group photo with only my Milkies with optics (best I could do with my iPhone).

Second from left is my latest Milky mod, a MOAL with a Cree XML-U21C putting out between 600 and 700 lumens in a pretty throwy beam. The tint is very pleasant for cool white, pure white with just a slight yellow. To the right is its brother, a Creemator Cubed, with three neutral white XPGs in a nice floody pattern with reasonable reach. This one has been one of my most-used lights, particularly indoors. One of the best things about both these lights is that they use an HDS-like user interface (which I personally think all flashlights should have).

The others in the optic family: On the far left is an M3 with an MCE behind a 5.5 degree optic. The beam on this is amazing, and because of it I don't feel the need to buy an M3LT or an Invictus. Then we have a "SuperNova"--Novatac with a high-CRI Seoul behind an old Surefire Optic, an Arc First-Run with a SF E1L driver and a cool-white XPG behind a flood optic (this is a very nice build!) and finally a Kroma MS with a WW XPG behind an even floodier optic.

(I've only got three or four more Milkies with reflectors. . . .)
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

Hi Scott- I sent you an email about a Kroma build. I hope all is well

gentlemen, i'm curious what sort of turnaround times you experienced with your milky mods?
    ---happy searching!---

Quote Originally Posted by ginaz View Post
    gentlemen, i'm curious what sort of turnaround times you experienced with your milky mods?
    For me - very short to very long.

The very short was "can you do this?", "yes I have the parts"
    The very long was - "I want you to upgrade my Gotham", discussion goes back and forth, problems are encountered, parts have to be made...... gets lengthy. But to be fair as well this is much more than replacing the LED and bumping the power.

Quote Originally Posted by ginaz View Post
    Danny, that you? I owe you an email. Incoming (via email) in a few minutes...
    --Scott

Hi Scott - looking forward to the email. I'm so pumped just to hear your ideas!!! Thanks again.

Dan

Scott, did you receive my email ? About the noir and e1b moal.

Thanks

Hi Scott,

E-mail sent.

Thanks,
    Pee Wee
    "A high I.Q. is nothing without the same level of common sense" - Me
    "Life's too short, get a flashlight and make it brighter everyday"

Hey Milky,

Sent you an email last night (PM box was full).

Regards,

John
    I love my HDS/Ra Clicky... My only wish would be a 5th(accessible thru a 2click press) mode, and a 2AA tube.

My eXPurGator special reserve has arrived! Whew

E2L AA based beauty. Way way low serial number, only 262!!

(CPF consensus says it's a long light but I really like it, I grew up on 2XAA.) It's easier to manipulate and switch grip positions on a slightly longer light IMO.
    It's an XP-G R43D rarity set under a UCL and an excellently custom cut Novatac reflector. The beam profile quality can not be adequately expressed, it's awesome. (Nothing against optics but I prefer the classic feel of a shiny reflector)
    The circuitry is a very interesting mix indeed! There is a Zetex 2aa boost feeding a D2Flex loaded with the Califon D UI we all know and love. Output is totally stable on all levels.
    Scott loaded a substantial heat sink in here, it's the weightiest E series head I have on hand and I have about a dozen.
    I added a custom tailstanding tailcap to the mix as well. Very handy
    I'm very very happy with this light. Can't wait till it's dark!

I wanted an Omnivore and this fits the bill! With the factory body I can run all the standard AA options like Alkalines, primary lithiums and NiMH. However it runs perfectly on a 1 CR123 body I have too.
    To allow the flexibility to handle NiMH voltages the limit is 3V so an Li-ion is a no-no. I don't mind at all! The primary use of this light is to take advantage of the free Alkalines at work. No I'm not stealing them LoL. Our thermometers and pulse-ox machines are horribly inefficient. They want a battery change when there is still as much as 70% battery life left!!
    I'm not that green of a guy but holy crap my co-workers are throwing away loads of partially used batteries.
    Last edited by Sgt. LED; 01-17-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: More sweet details

Awesome, Sgt. LED! If you have time, photos and beamshots would be cool Now I want a AA light from Milky...

Wish I could show it off. All I have is my iPhone, no PC in my life anymore lol.
    I'll try to describe the beam.
    You would be surprised to see the hotspot knowing what's inside.
    It's pretty throwy. You'd think it's an XP-E in a P60 sized OP reflector. (XR-E P60 smooth throw is way better, but hey not much beats that size/throw combo)
    The spill is wide and the hotspot is pretty tight.
    There is no funky shaped brighter gradient area around the hotspot at all, it's either bright spill or tightish spot. Scott must of really taken his time getting the focus on this.
    It clearly out throws my M61 with only a slightly less spill. I really don't know how he managed this feat of magic.
    Last edited by Sgt. LED; 01-17-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Sounds like a great light, Sgt! I have an E1L with a spare 2xAA body that works great. Runs on AA's forever.

Scott,

I purchased one of your U2by2 lights from the original owner (what a fantastic light!). The LED's don't put out the same amount of light. Can you send me a PM with what it would cost to replace/update the LED's? I'm also wondering if it's possible to replace the 10mm reflectors with 12mm for a bit more throw. FYI: It appears the light was modified in 2008.

Thanks!
    Last edited by steveG; 01-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    Wish I could show it off. All I have is my iPhone, no PC in my life anymore lol.
    I'll try to describe the beam.
    You would be surprised to see the hotspot knowing what's inside.
    It's pretty throwy. You'd think it's an XP-E in a P60 sized OP reflector. (XR-E P60 smooth throw is way better, but hey not much beats that size/throw combo)
    The spill is wide and the hotspot is pretty tight.
    There is no funky shaped brighter gradient area around the hotspot at all, it's either bright spill or tightish spot. Scott must of really taken his time getting the focus on this.
    It clearly out throws my M61 with only a slightly less spill. I really don't know how he managed this feat of magic.
    Nice description! I had an M61 before, so that helps me understand. Thanks!

Flashaholic

Hi Scott:
    I sent you an email regarding the build you had a question on (CR2 Ion). Just wanted to confirm you got it.

Bob

Hey Scott, just checking status of that tri-led Maxlite mod. Haven't been able to reach you through email. Hope all is well.

Chago
    Where does he get all those wonderful toys? Jack Napier (1989)

hi scott, sent an email regarding a build for my solarforce L2P..thanks.

Flashaholic

Just received my CR2 Ion that Scott updated with a high CRI P4 and modified Fenix reflector. Really works great! Much tighter beam, nice spill and brighter! Glad to put this back in the EDC rotation.

Bob

^Nice mod, the ssc p4 H-Cri is my favorite emitter of all time, specially the neutral version.
    "A high I.Q. is nothing without the same level of common sense" - Me
    "Life's too short, get a flashlight and make it brighter everyday"

Anyone interested in finding a home for a couple of birds? (The kind that light up, not the kind that fly.)

Putting together a sales thread and wanted to give a heads-up to those who might be interested. Look for the thread to post sometime in the next hour. I'll also post a link to the new thread over here.

These are one-offs I've had for a bit, but didn't get around to posting until now. While snapping some photos, I realized again how nice both are! I could easily find a use for them around here, but wanted to share the wealth so to speak.

Stay tuned! It will post soon...

--Scott

The Albatross and The Gosling Are Live

Sales thread posted over here. First come, first served. Enjoy!

--Scott

Just wanted to post about my eXpURGator mod!

I had purchased an E2L as an impulse buy over the summer. I guess I got lucky, because I ended up with a model that had a creamy-white tint, no blue or yellow, just right [I say lucky, because I've seen my fair share of surefires with extremely blue tints]. As time went on, I started thinking of sending it to Scott to become a creemator.

As time went on, I moved away from that idea. 300+ lumens in a tight beam is great, but I also wanted good overall efficiency, maximum output and a neutral white LED. SO, in order to get good output and a neutral white LED, I decided to stick an XP-G behind the tightest optic available in the 20mm format.

As time continued, however, my wants changed. I began asking Scott about the possibility of a driver allowing for running full power from a 3v source (either 1x123 or 2xAA), as well as a single Li-ion or 2x123. Well, with the voltage range of the Acorn driver, he warned me that he could add a boost driver to use 3v, but it would be 3v Maximum [as Sgt. LED's is, above]. at that point in time I was wondering about using a new HDS 120 as a host, replacing the internals. I don't currently use Li-ions, but may decide to do so in the future, plus I figured that if Henry ever came out with a 17670 battery tube, it could be modified in such a way as to fit 2x123.

I kept hold of the E2L, knowing I'd regret it if I sold it. Learning about Scott's driver in more detail, I decided to return to the idea of either a creemator mod, or an expurgator. I settled on an Expurgator, and so then Scott and I began hammering out details about it's programming.

I knew I wanted more than four outputs, considering the range of possible drive currents available. I currently carry my HDS 140n as my EDC light, and my most used level was level 17, at 18 lumens, I usually use maximum/hi (141-100) when taking out the garbage, walking in the woods, etc. I use ultra-low [0.07lm] to read at night, and for trips to the john, and level 13 as a happy medium between med-hi and ultra-low.

So I asked Scott to program in 5 outputs, [ultra-low, low @ ~5lm, medium @~20, Med-hi @~100, and maximum], as well as throw in an extra "mode".
    So I have a modified version of his Califon firmware, which has the usual Mizer/Staminator drives, tactical, memory and theatre modes, but I also asked for a fourth mode to be programmed in, [I call it E2L] which has only low and High [~5 and ~100 respectively].

Scott mentioned that he had a small supply of neutral white XP-G R5 bin LED's available, so I agreed to use one of those [I would have been happy with an R4 bin, honestly], an aluminum heatsink [Scott made it out of his tellurium copper, which was really nice of him], and the agreed-upon programming changes to his Acorn driver/Califon firmware. It has a maximum drive level of 1.3A, and an excellent tint, if I do say so myself.

I just picked it up fromt he post office today, but I can't wait to see it in action tonight. Later, i'll post up pics, and perhaps a beam shot or two.

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1215161718192021222324252627282932 ... LastLast