4 Sevens
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

Default Re: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

I've been meaning to post something about my latest from Milky Labs, my second "MOAL": an XML behind an optic and sitting on a huge heat sink, with a customizable UI. This one is in a Gotham, and focused for a little more throw. Here's a bad iPhone picture of The MOALed Gotham along with a MOAL in a KX1 head. These are great workhorses. I like the form factor, easy to drop in a pocket and have handy. The more I use them, the more I wonder why I own all these other lights.

Size matters. Before I got these, the Milky M3 (>700 lumen, with a 5.5 degree optic) was my favorite light to take for "let's see what we can see" walks, and since I finally bought a UB3T after the Great Surefire Price Drop of 2012, I've still been using the M3. First, the Milky seems to throw better. At least, as far as I want to see, two football fields or so, the Milky does a better job of lighting stuff up than the UB3T. Also, the thing is just too big. It hardly leaves the house.

Now the MOALs have displaced the M3. We took a long road trip last month, and I had to decide what lights to take. I didn't even pack the Black Surefire Monster. I brought the M3, but the Gotham is the only light I ended up using, and I used it a lot. It's a whole lot of fun. The medium and high are very serviceable and I seldom feel the need to go into overdrive. And on max it's got plenty of reach, and it lights up everything between here and there, if you know what I mean. Nice to look at, but it's designed to be _used_.

PS: And this week this little gem arrived. Seven (7!) XPEs, in a U2 head, six white and one red, each with its own optic! This can pump out 1,000 lumen--my first 4-digit light--while the red is controlled by the stock U2A converter and selector ring, so it's like an old TV with a knob to adjust the color balance. This is going to be a lot of fun.
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    Just like Robert said, send me an email asking me to add you to the prototypes and one-offs (a.k.a. "Available Now") list. I'll add your email address to the list.

EDIT: Oops. Forgot MY email address...

[IMG]http://milkyspit.com/i/img-email-milky-quarryrun-com.gif[/IM]
    done
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

PS: And this week this little gem arrived. Seven (7!) XPEs, in a U2 head, six white and one red, each with its own optic! This can pump out 1,000 lumen--my first 4-digit light--while the red is controlled by the stock U2A converter and selector ring, so it's like an old TV with a knob to adjust the color balance. This is going to be a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

WOW -
    Milky's builds are "Creme de la Creme "
    Top of the heap
    A#1!!!!

Can I get a witness??!!

Quote Originally Posted by dbleznak View Post
    Can I get a witness??!!
    LOL

Amen!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Don't you think it's for a Milky collaboration with another CPF "Superstar" like FiveMega. It seems like a no-brainier !! I wasn't around when when there was a "CPF" collaborative run !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dbleznak View Post
    Don't you think it's for a Milky collaboration with another CPF "Superstar" like FiveMega. It seems like a no-brainier !! I wasn't around when when there was a "CPF" collaborative run !!!
    Sounds good on paper. But when would the two of them get together to produce something? Scheduling can be a b****.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Sounds good on paper. But when would the two of them get together to produce something? Scheduling can be a b****.
    A man can dream ......

In the words of the great
    Jack Donoughy (from 30 Rock)

That's absurd, Lemon. The world is made by those who control their own destiny. It isn't made by those who don't do, it's made by those who do do. Which is what made me the man I am. I do do.

Enlightened

What would be the perfect light?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaq View Post
    What would be the perfect light?

The million dollar question...

Unobtanium, my dear Watson.

Multiple UI's, with ramping up/ramping down/hidden light shows that are still easily accessible/user configurable mode[s], tight thrower with wide, bright, even spill/small formfactor, but not too small/high output, efficiency and run-times/is knurled, but not too aggressively/is smooth/fits on a key-ring unobtrusively...

Oh, and runs on a AAA alkaline, as well as lithium primaries and rechargeables [keeps all modes] and ni-mh.
    I love my HDS/Ra Clicky... My only wish would be a 5th(accessible thru a 2click press) mode, and a 2AA tube.

And it's controlled by the user's thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Galt View Post
    The million dollar question...

Unobtanium, my dear Watson.

Multiple UI's, with ramping up/ramping down/hidden light shows that are still easily accessible/user configurable mode[s], tight thrower with wide, bright, even spill/small formfactor, but not too small/high output, efficiency and run-times/is knurled, but not too aggressively/is smooth/fits on a key-ring unobtrusively...

Oh, and runs on a AAA alkaline, as well as lithium primaries and rechargeables [keeps all modes] and ni-mh.
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

Well, my Arc LS should have arrived at Milky's lab today or yesterday. Can't wait to have it back in my hands.

Cree XT-E, balsa driver with the same programming as my Expurgator [love it!].
    I love my HDS/Ra Clicky... My only wish would be a 5th(accessible thru a 2click press) mode, and a 2AA tube.

Hey guys, I just got this light in trade. It is sweet!!

Does anyone have a flowchart or instructions for Acorn 1.6 Elm firmware?

bullred at cox dot net is my EM, or PM please!!

Ive searched to no avail.
    Last edited by PoliceScannerMan; 07-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Hey guys, I just got this light in trade. It is sweet!!

Does anyone have a flowchart or instructions for Acorn 1.6 Elm firmware?

bullred at cox dot net is my EM, or PM please!!

Ive searched to no avail.
    Maybe this is what you want http://milkyspit.com/kb/milkyspit-elm-firmware-v1.png

Yep, thanks Robert!!!
    -Gene Malkoff

One more question, then I'll quit hijacking this thread...

My MOAL, I got from Viper715, works great as a L1, LOVE it!

However, it wont work on any of my E-Series SF's/FM's/Aleph bodies. Its like there is a 1/4" gap between the battery and the driver, or battery spring depending on how you hold the light. Is this a flaw, or is there some kind of spacer I'm supposed to have??

Any input appreciated.
    -Gene Malkoff

One more question, then I'll quit hijacking this thread...

My MOAL, I got from Viper715, works great as a L1, LOVE it!

However, it wont work on any of my E-Series SF's/FM's/Aleph bodies. Its like there is a 1/4" gap between the battery and the driver, or battery spring depending on how you hold the light. Is this a flaw, or is there some kind of spacer I'm supposed to have??

Any input appreciated.

PSM, I'm posting this from memory, so might have my facts mixed up... but I seem to recall his head designed around fitting a 17500 cell into the L1 Cree battery tube... I bored the tube itself to accommodate a 17500 cell. For that reason, I needed to recess the positive contact on the underside of the head. Electrically there's nothing wrong, but using that particular head in a different body you'd want to use a small spacer to fill the gap. (I could instead attach a spring for the positive contact, but then you'd likely have problems when using a 17500 cell in the L1 battery tube.) Hope this helps.
    --Scott

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    PSM, I'm posting this from memory, so might have my facts mixed up... but I seem to recall his head designed around fitting a 17500 cell into the L1 Cree battery tube... I bored the tube itself to accommodate a 17500 cell. For that reason, I needed to recess the positive contact on the underside of the head. Electrically there's nothing wrong, but using that particular head in a different body you'd want to use a small spacer to fill the gap. (I could instead attach a spring for the positive contact, but then you'd likely have problems when using a 17500 cell in the L1 battery tube.) Hope this helps.
    You are correct, great memory! It was bored for 17500, so that makes sense. I will make a lil spacer.

Thanks Scott. Love the light man, makes all my other ML1's ride the pine!
    -Gene Malkoff

Ground down a aluminum battery spacer I had, then wrapped it with electrical tape. Works great, thanks Scott.
    -Gene Malkoff

Ground down a aluminum battery spacer I had, then wrapped it with electrical tape. Works great, thanks Scott.

--Scott

Quote Originally Posted by gottawearshades View Post
    PS: And this week this little gem arrived. Seven (7!) XPEs, in a U2 head, six white and one red, each with its own optic! This can pump out 1,000 lumen--my first 4-digit light--while the red is controlled by the stock U2A converter and selector ring, so it's like an old TV with a knob to adjust the color balance. This is going to be a lot of fun.
    what white emitter you have in there? XM-L?

edit: I do plan on buying an M1 and U2 just get them modded by milky
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Scott,
    6PRED Received and in great working order!

(Sorry for the crappy pics)

The LED overwhelemd the Canon Elph I was using for the pics - hence the weird coloring. Host is a standard Surefire 6P with my Milky modded, and what he used I don't remember- but it is REALLY bright.
    can you tell me more about this 6PRED?

Enlightened

has anyone had any recent contact with Scott? Been a while since I last heard from him. Must be very busy.

Quote Originally Posted by JCK View Post
    has anyone had any recent contact with Scott? Been a while since I last heard from him. Must be very busy.
    Fancy seeing you here .

Im now the owner of U2 CREEchur. Really happy with this light. At first, wasn't really sure if i would like the red XP-E. Seeing so many post says how good the red LED performs in night, i decide to give it a try. And i LOVE it. Thanks Scott, great mod !

Whaaaa!? What is a Creechur? I've not been paying attention!

This is a prototype. By turning the control ring you get different brightness of red light level. Click the clicky for switching from only red to 6 bright white XP-E. You get three different levels on the side emitters of 6 XP-E

Quote Originally Posted by steveG View Post
    Whaaaa!? What is a Creechur? I've not been paying attention!

Quote Originally Posted by grayhighh View Post
    This is a prototype. By turning the control ring you get different brightness of red light level. Click the clicky for switching from only red to 6 bright white XP-E. You get three different levels on the side emitters of 6 XP-E
    wow, very cool. whats the otf lumens and whats the beam like? congrats on a fine light.

You get 1000 lumens from the 6 XP-Es. This is not a thrower so it dosen't reach that far. But still light up a good area. Great for night walking.

Quote Originally Posted by hron61 View Post
    wow, very cool. whats the otf lumens and whats the beam like? congrats on a fine light.

Default Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 4

Just scored a ML1 eXtreme on CBST.

Can anyone tell me more about this tape? It is from a L1 extreme. How many clicks to work on a e2 body?

Anyone got a link to C-Decade firmware?

Thanks!

-Gene Malkoff

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast