Mil SPEC - STD810F

dmonay

Newly Enlightened
I was noticing some lights have a mil spec standard (810F) stated in their specs. The Some Surefires and Olight M20 is one example. This doesn't just mean it has type III anodizing, It means that the flashlight has passed a battery of tests that the military requires before they will contract with a company for the use of their product in the field or the the battlefield.
Does any body use this requirement of a mil spec standard as a requirement when you buy a flashlight. and does it actually make it a better more reliable and tougher light ?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
for surefire lights, -- sure..
but for the other non-american branded lights.. I doubt it has actually undergone the tests.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its not a battery of tests per se, its the Standard for how tests could and should be done. It sets the bar for how electronic equipment can be tested for certain type of applications and environments. Something that has to go into space, or airborne equipment, or ground equipment and what the definitions of certain types of stress would be and minimum acceptable test thresholds for equipment that would be used in the military in any of those applications. No one piece of equipment would go through every test method listed in that document, the vendor and/or the military customer would call out certain subsections based on the limited application and role of the actual equipment.

Last edited:

dmonay

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to both posters.

Yes I agree about the Sure Fire lights.
Too bad, I was hoping that a MIL SPEC certification would or could be a good way to judge the toughness of a led flashlight.

I'm trying to find a light similar to a sure fire light, specifically the E2DL I have and the Olight M20 even though it has multiple modes comes close I think.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks to both posters.

Yes I agree about the Sure Fire lights.
Too bad, I was hoping that a MIL SPEC certification would or could be a good way to judge the toughness of a led flashlight.

I'm trying to find a light similar to a sure fire light, specifically the E2DL I have and the Olight M20 even though it has multiple modes comes close I think.
A good way to judge the suitability of a product is to seek feedback from people doing the same tasks or otherwise associating with the product.
It may turn out that in the groups of people you ask you are trail-blazing and will need to decided whether to be the first-adopter from whom the rest of the group can gain feedback...
Whilst performance testing can help build an idea of performance and an indication of suitability - the real judge is whether it is being used and it is doing the job.

dmonay

Newly Enlightened
Size15's you are right, thats why I read here constantly way more than I post. I read all the reviews and any threads that sound like they have info on a light I'm interested in.
What I'd really like is a sure fire like my E2DL that can run on rechargeables, has a very low, low, a medium and high and comes in either a single or a two battery version.
For now my Novatac 120P fills the bill, but I'd like a simpler interface to the modes.
And the search continues.