180 Watt LED Film, Video, Photo Light 95 CRI - My Chip-on-Board obsession

snarfer

Enlightened
Not exactly a flashlight, but thought some might find it interesting. This is a project I've been keeping under wraps for quite some time now. More than a year actually. Started by building this:

111xki.jpg

50889370.jpg

The specs:

16 Chip-on-Board assemblies in two strings of 8. One string is tungsten balanced (2900 K) the other is daylight balanced (5500 K). I managed to get hold of the special high CRI models, so CRI is about 95. Forward voltage is 92.5 volts on each string. Max current is 1 amp. I built the drivers with National LM5022 controller. Mostly I run it off a 24 volt supply, and it gets about 94% efficiency. It will work down to about 17 volts, and up to 32 volts input.

The heatsinking consists of bolting the LEDs to an aluminum box, 1/4" plate, with a whole bunch of surplus Pentium II heatsinks. Had it all hard anodized too. Surprisingly enough, it works great and never goes over about 55 C.

This has been good for lighting quite a few commercials and music videos already.

Since that project things have progressed:

131igv.jpg

First of all I had the heatsink machined out of a solid block of aluminum. (That was pretty expensive)

36427466.jpg

Also made the whole thing a bit smaller. The first one was 12"x12" but this one is 9"x12" instead. The LEDs are a bit closer together.

161gng.jpg

Also I redesigned the power converter. Now it will take input 12-48 volt DC, 94 to 97 percent efficiency. It is also microprocessor controlled - PIC24H 16 bit controller running at 40 MHz.

Also it has some different modes. Now the MCU can accurately control the color so instead of just two pots, one for each color, it's possible to have one pot controlling the mix, and the other pot controlling the overall intensity. And there's a temp sensor to keep everything nice and toasty. Oh wait I also implemented master/slave so you could chain a few of the lights together and make them all do the same thing at the same time without need for a lighting board.

171gux.jpg

And I even put a DMX interface on it. The DMX interface has RDM so there aren't any DIP switches.

39566646.jpg

Finally I found lenses that would fit the COB arrays. Had a Delrin holder machined for them. They only focus the light in one direction. But that's OK, it's pretty bright already, although it hasn't really got a lot of throw. My favorites are the medium lenses. They have 30 degree vertical spread x 140 degree horizontal, with about 60 foot-candles at 10 feet.

Last edited:

roguesw

Enlightened
Very Very Very Seriously AWESOME!!!!
How many lumens is it?
It looks very rugged and will withstand a lot of use.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that's just sweet. Especially being able to power it from that voltage range... makes it highly portable being able to run off of a variety of batteries.
:bow:

aljsk8

Enlightened
very impressive! What leds are those ive never seen them?

any photos of it switched on?

dom

Enlightened
WOW Very professional looking!
Are you in the commercial industry as well?

You say you can control the color -so there
are RGB arrays in there?

Why didn't you stick with the CPU cooling fins?
They looked pretty good.

Top job.

Cheers
Dom

snarfer

Enlightened
Are you in the commercial industry as well?

I am a gaffer. So I rent these lights out to the productions I work on.

You say you can control the color -so there
are RGB arrays in there?

It is just the color temperature I can control. No matter what it has to be white. There are warm white and cool white LEDs and the mixture determines the color temperature.

Why didn't you stick with the CPU cooling fins?
They looked pretty good.

Well the first light weighs about 15 pounds, and the more recent one weighs about 5.5 pounds. Actually I made some other different versions in between until I finally got everything working pretty much the way I wanted it to.

CPU coolers work much better than I ever expected though. And at $2 a piece they are a real bargain. I started this project by buying a big box of them and picking out the ones that seemed most useful. They seem to do fine at about 20 watts per CPU heatsink. If you look closely at the first picture you can see it is just 8 heatsinks.

I spent a lot of time testing the LED temperature and found that the pin fin heatsinks work very well when the light is facing directly down, and directly up. Much better than straight fins. Actually when the light is pointing down it stays about 5 C cooler than when horizontal.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
About what could you compare the output of this to? It seems like it would be pretty darn bright.

If you were to sell one, about how much do you think it would go for? While cool, it looks like making one of these would be quite an investment.

snarfer

Enlightened
About what could you compare the output of this to? It seems like it would be pretty darn bright.

If you compare it to some of the current LED lights for film production, like the 1 foot square panels that cost about 2000 dollars, it is the equivalent of 4 of them together.

Total lumens is approximately 8000-9000. I use it mostly instead of fluorescent fixtures, and very small HMIs. One nice thing is that it hardly ever needs any kind of color correction, so those lumens are generally more usable than with some other lights (where you might have to filter out the green).

If you were to sell one, about how much do you think it would go for? While cool, it looks like making one of these would be quite an investment.

If it wasn't for the recession I think this project would have been so astronomically expensive that I would have given up on it long ago! When I started I thought it would be possible to make something significantly cheaper than what was out there already. Unfortunately it seems like a full kit would still end up costing well over two thousand dollars.

Obviously the idea here was to make something to sell, but in the end it seems like it might stay a rental item for a while.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it would be up there, and I was pretty close with my guess of $2500.

On the other hand, as a replacement for 4 $2000 lights, even $4000-$5000 would be a worthwhile price to pay for it.

Nos

Enlightened
from the frame to the electronics....professional through and through ........ could go into series right away....:thumbsup:

they could possibly replace the fluorescents

btw whats its weight?

snarfer

Enlightened
they could possibly replace the fluorescents

btw whats its weight?

Yes actually they do replace fluorescents quite well. Because most LED lights don't have enough spread. That was what the idea was in the first place. And then the lenses showed up so that made it even better.

Weight is 5.5 pounds.

aljsk8

Enlightened
is there any technical info on those leds? the pdf on the led.de site is not very comprehensive - id like to consider these for a 12v direct drive light (12v 12a sla - 12.4 - 12.5v under load) and id like to see the relationship between voltage and current and lumens

snarfer

Enlightened
Yeah that site is kind of weird. I think they are selling them on the grey market or something because they are deliberately concealing the manufacturer name. I can't even find the document you refer to now. I suspect the manufacturer may have some legal restrictions on who they can sell to or where. I don't know.

Anyway I have never pushed the LEDs beyond Vf 12 volts, which got me to about 1300 mA. I think the junction to case resistance is 4 degrees C/watt, if that is any help. Also the relationship between light output and current is extremely linear. I would guess that at 1400 mA, you'd probably get something like 1000 lumens, for the 7 watt cool white models.

If you need more specifics than that you can PM me.