Mag SST-50 & SST-90 heatsinks

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a few inquires on making a few of these. How many people would be interested in Mag "D" size heatsinks for these new LED's??

Mac

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Would they be based on emitters or for MCPCBs? I'm in if it's for emitters only.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
hmmm... i haven't yet jumped into mag mods, been more into pocket rockets so far, but i do love these LEDs (have the sst-90 in my 6P only at 2.5A) I would be really interested if it worked well. I guess I would need to see how many lumens could actually be put out and maintain thermal management...if you could get a mag lite that did 1500+ without overheating I'm in no matter what the price.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about instead of a heatsink a whole body that acts as the heatsink for it? I am thinking a one piece of metal with fins and flutes, it would be able to hadle the intense heat of those SST leds.

I think FM prototyped such a light, google search...... Bingo! here it is

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=204829

Too bad this did not came to be. Just an idea for you to consider.

AlexGT

Last edited:

Wok

Newly Enlightened
Hi Mac,

Interested for star mount heatsinks...would be good if the mounting point could adjust deeper into tube?

eng hoe

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only started looking around to see who was making SST heatsinks for Mags yesterday.

Two for me please.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also need a "D" for a SST-90-W. Thanks for the update!

Those are two different sinks right, or are you able to make a multi-purpose one?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want one, could you make it out of copper?

Copper is way to expensive and heavy and offers no substantial gain over aluminum for flashlights from what I have read.

$70 per foot compared to $10 for aluminum.

Mac

Last edited: