Leaked battery, damaged flashlight and battery manufacturer warranty procedures

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, I know, I know. Many have talked about this on CPF and I googled but could not find specific answers to my questions:

1) I send them both the light and the leaked battery, in the mail, right?
2) Any special packaging requirements with stuffing the damaged light and leaked battery in the envelope?
3) What else do I include? A letter? What should I say in the letter?
4) Any other tips you can send my way, much appreciated.

Details: I have a PT Fuel 3xAAA headlight. A Duracell AAA leaked and corroded the insides.

Thank you.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
email them first or call, battery manufacturer that is.
they most likely will send you a check for the light and cupons for batts. i doubt they need your destroyed light.

Thegasman

Newly Enlightened
I have experiance with mag light. Wrap the light in a plastic bag and box it up supply a brief explaination of the issue. In mag lights case, they have agreements in place with most major batt companies, and the batt company covers the cost to refurb your light. If your manufacture does not have this type of coverage, you may be on the hook for repairs

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update.

Called Duracell:
http://www.duracell.com/company/contact.asp?id=58&

Lady answered, very polite and apologetic about my experience.

Asked me questions for their database (My answers):

1) What type of light? (Princeton TEC Fuel)
2) How long have the batteries been in the light? (2 months)
3) What size batteries? (AAA)
4) What is the expiry date of the batteries? (2014)
5) All batteries have the same expiry date? (Yes)
6) All batteries new when put in the light? (Yes)
7) How much is the light? ($35? could not remember exactly)
8) Is the light still usable after? (No, contacts corroded)
9) Did you keep the light? In case we ask you to send it to us? (Yes)
10) Did you keep the leaked batteries? In case we ask you to send it to us? (Kept the leaked one, threw away the other two that did not leak)

The only issue I encountered is that only one of the 3 batteries in the light leaked. So I kept the leaky battery and threw away the rest. She told me to keep eveything next time.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, check and coupon. The Duracell lady told me it will take 3 weeks so I will update this thread when I get it in the mail.

She also told me to keep the light and leaky batt until after I get my check and coupons in the mail, in-case they ask for me to mail it to them.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang i didnt realize it took that long.......do you have to send the messed up cell along with the light.

gem

Newly Enlightened
I recently send my flashlight to duracell too as two of their batteries leaked and corroded one of my duel cylinders. I just read the garrantee instructions and send my flashlight in with a note.
I will see what happens.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Interesting... I just had to punch out some batteries from a nice Maglite because (as far as I can tell) both the Duracells in it puked all over and jammed themselves in. The body is a bit beat from the forced removal and I haven't found a way to get rid of the corrosion. Batteries can't freely slide in and out anymore. Sounds like I might just be giving duracell a call then...
Thanks for posting this!

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once had a pair of Energizer Titaniums puke inside my 2xAA Mag. I did not know better and threw it all away.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the check in the mail today. No coupons for free batteries, just the check.

wipeout

Newly Enlightened
I emailed Duracell when some batteries leaked and the responded within a day and asked me to call their "800" number. They asked for me to send the light in and they would repair/replace or send a check for the light. I told them that I was sending the light to Maglite, so she said that she would send me a coupon for batteries. I received it 10 days or so later for 16 batteries of any size (AAA, AA, C, D). I never did send the Minimag out, it was worth less than the battery coupon.

I then tried the same with Energizer and they sent a long email basically saying it was my fault but they would cover the batteries under the terms of warranty. When I called I was basically told it was my fault and I should not store batteries in a flashlight.

Krotchitty

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad I found this thread, I have an old 3D mag that has been seized up for over a year. I'm sending it to Mag Industries to see what happens. If they fix it, I will finally have an excuse to make a mod, I need a dedicated thrower.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad I found this thread, I have an old 3D mag that has been seized up for over a year. I'm sending it to Mag Industries to see what happens. If they fix it, I will finally have an excuse to make a mod, I need a dedicated thrower.

did Mag batteries ruin it? because it might be noted that the general procedure is to contact the people who made the Defective product, or product that caused the problem, then send it in.
it used to be on the product labeling, that if thier battery CAUSED the problem that they would repair or replace, they sort of dont put that on the labels as often as they used to for some reason .

wipeout

Newly Enlightened
Mag has a contract with Duracell, Energizer, and Rayovac if any of those batteries caused the issue Mag will fix it per the website. If it is another brand they will charge you for the repair/replacement.

wipeout

Newly Enlightened
I emailed Duracell when some batteries leaked and the responded within a day and asked me to call their "800" number. They asked for me to send the light in and they would repair/replace or send a check for the light. I told them that I was sending the light to Maglite, so she said that she would send me a coupon for batteries. I received it 10 days or so later for 16 batteries of any size (AAA, AA, C, D). I never did send the Minimag out, it was worth less than the battery coupon.

I then tried the same with Energizer and they sent a long email basically saying it was my fault but they would cover the batteries under the terms of warranty. When I called I was basically told it was my fault and I should not store batteries in a flashlight.

a followup, I emailed Rayovac for a comparison and they said to send them the light and if their battery caused the problem they would repair or replace.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the check in the mail today. No coupons for free batteries, just the check.

The coupon came in today, separate mail.

Good for 1 pack of up to 16 batteries, any size.

Got an 8 pack of D cells, retail was $12.99.