EagleTac T20C2 (Tactical RGB) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Reviewer's Note: The T20C2 was provided for review by EagleTac. Please see their website for more info.

UPDATE March 7, 2010: This model has been replaced with a new upgraded version, the T20C2 Mark II. Please see my new review for details on the currently shipping Mark II version.

UPDATE JULY 27, 2010: Eagletac has just released a new XR-E R2 drop-in for the T20C2 Mark II. Basically, you get the throw and output characteristics of the original T20C2 reviewed here - but with the build and UI improvements of the Mark II series. :)

Warning: Even more pic heavy than usual! :whistle:

Manufacturer's specifications, condensed from EagleTac's website:
  • Cree XR-E R2 LED (WD tint, Cool White) or Q4 (5A tint, Neutral White)
  • Maximum 300 lumen / 60lumen / 5lumen, Runtime 1.5 hrs / 13hrs / 180+ hrs
  • Three levels output, activate by twisting bezel
  • Tactical strobe mode, operated by pressing rear switch
  • Stainless steel bezel
  • Syntax ultra-clear glass lens w/ harden and AR coating
  • Type III finish / aerospace tough aluminum
  • Smooth aluminum reflector
  • Gold plates on all contacts
  • Superior tactical knurling and griping aerodynamic
  • Protruding tactical forward clicky tail-cap
  • Polycarbonate cigar grip ring
  • Heavy Duty Holster
  • Para-cord Lanyard
  • Glow-in-the-dark silicon tail boot
  • Spare o-rings and EagleTac silicon grease for self-service
  • Advanced RGB Filter System, including high output diffuser filter, Syntax coated red glass filter, and blue and green filters with mirror glass finish for minimized glare and true high output color.
  • CR123A Battery Magazine for two CR123A Batteries
  • Stainless steel pocket clip in black color, for "head-down" placement of the light
  • Heavy duty nylon holster.
  • IPX-8 o-ring system
  • Self-service possibility allows maximum flexibility by allowing users to open the head (users can replace or upgrade the lens or reflector themselves)
  • Optional upgrade to orange peel reflector.
  • Optical tail-stand tail-cap
  • Weapon mount support
  • Length 5.9 inches (14.9 cm), Head Diameter: 1.38" (3.5 cm), Body Diameter: 1.0" (2.5 cm), Body Weight 4.25 ounces (120 grams)
  • Supports two Lithium CR123A batteries (also compatible with one or two Li-ion rechargeables)
  • MSRP $80 ($90 with RGB filter kit)
The T20C2 is the official release of the "Tactical RGB" light that EagleTac has had in development. As you can see from the fairly extensive specs above, EagleTac has thrown a lot in to this particular package.

T20C2-1.jpg

By default, the T20C2 comes with manual, warranty card, spare o-rings, o-ring lube, extra GITD tailcap boot cover, wrist lanyard, good quality belt pouch with closing flap and lens diffuser attachment. :sweat: Optional accessories are the RGB filter kit (shown above), OP reflector, and tailstanding tailcap (scroll down for pics).

Note that the green and blue filters have a reflective finish, just like the Olight filters. If I had used the flash and aimed the camera head on, they would look green and blue. :)

T20C2-2.jpg

T20C2-3.jpg

T20C2-13.jpg

The first I thing I noticed about the light is the general similarity in external appearance to the Olight M20. :eek:oo:

T100C2-7.jpg

(from left to right: AW protected 18650, EagleTac T100C2 MarkII, T20C2, Olight M20, JetBeam Jet-IIII M, Raptor RRT-2).

T20C2: Weight 123.3g, Length 147.8mm x Width 34.9mm (bezel max)
Olight M20: Weight 120.1g, Length 143.2mm x Width 35.7 (bezel max)

While these external similarities may raise a few eyebrows, a quick examination of the internal components reveals that these lights are actually quite different:

T20C2-12.jpg

As you can see, they are far more divergent than their external appearance might have let you to believe. The T20C2's battery tube is longer and more bulky overall. The tailcap of the T20C2 is actually common with the T100C2. And most significantly, the head of the T20C2 separates into two pieces, with the reflector actually screwing into the top portion of the head. The contact surface in the base of the head is also pretty different looking, consistent with its rather unique interface and EagleTac heritage.

Simply put, I would say the internal construction of the T20C2 and Olight M20 are as different as any two 18650-class lights are ever likely to be. :tinfoil:

T20C2-4.jpg

T20C2-10.jpg

Fit and finish are excellent on my sample, no flaws in the black type-III hard anodizing (except for a few chips in the knurling, as is not uncommon on EagleTac lights). Consistent with other EagleTac lights, the knurling on the bezel and tailcap is quite aggressive. Identification labels are very sharp and clear, in bright white against the black background (perhaps unfortunately so, as there are a fair number of warnings on the bezel/head :rolleyes:).

Screw threads are anodized for head or tailcap lock-out. :thumbsup: Due to the standard protruding forward clicky, the light cannot tailstand in its default form – but you can buy a tailstanding tailcap accessory (scroll back up for a pic).

Note that the black stainless steel clip and polycarbonate grip-ring are removable (although you will need to remove the o-ring to get the grip ring off). Unlike the Olight M20, the grip ring does not cover the attachment point for the T20C2's clip, so be careful not to scratch the anodizing when removing/attaching the clip (I find a little teflon oil can help).

T20C2-5.jpg

T20C2-6.jpg

The light uses the standard Cree XR-E emitter, with a R2 output bin in this case (WD tint reported). Also available from EagleTac is the relatively warm "neutral" 5A tint with a Q4 output bin. For those of you not familiar with tint bins, please see my Colour tint comparison and the summary LED tint charts found here.

One of the more interesting features of this light is how you can remove the bezel retaining ring and screw on the included diffuser (or optional RGB filter kit).

T20C2-7.jpg

That's a fairly smart way to attach a filter/diffuser.:thumbsup: The quality of the included filters and diffuser seem very good – on par with the Olight filter/diffuser material available for a number of their lines.

Here's how the business end of the light looks with the standard smooth reflector, optional OP reflector, and diffuser cover:

T20C2-8.jpg

T20C2-11.jpg

T20C2-9.jpg

And now for the requisite white wall wanting hunting ;) … all lights are on Max on an AW protected 18650, about 0.5 meters from a white wall.

First with default smooth reflector

T20C2-Beam1.jpg

T20C2-Beam2.jpg

T20C2-Beam3.jpg

T20C2-Beam4.jpg

And with medium OP reflector:

T20C2-Beam5.jpg

T20C2-Beam6.jpg

T20C2-Beam7.jpg

T20C2-Beam8.jpg

As you can see, there is not a huge difference in terms of the beam profile. I personally prefer the OP reflector, as it helps smooth some of the rings without affecting throw very much (reminds me of the early JetBeam Jet-II/III reflectors - some smoothing, with little loss of throw).

To help you compare the effects of the diffuser and RGB filters, here are some individual shots taken with the smooth reflector (~1m from the wall, 1/25sec exposure, f3.2)

Smooth reflector:
Eagle081.jpg

With diffuser:
Eagle084.jpg

With RGB kit:
Eagle089.jpg

Eagle087.jpg

Eagle082.jpg

Not surprisingly, the red filter seems to allow the least amount of light through (white LEDs are well known to be somewhat deficient in the red wavelengths).

Here's a few more shots, taken up close on a white cardboard box:

Eagle085.jpg

Eagle088.jpg

Eagle086.jpg

Eagle083.jpg

As with the Olight filters, you can see how the mirror-finish of the green and blue filters produces a bit of bounce-back color distortion up-close at the opening.

UPDATE: Some additional long-distance beamshots, to show you how the light compares to others in its class.

Please see my recent 100-yard Outdoor Beamshot review for more details (and additional lights).

Outdoor-JulyDaylight.jpg

G5-RRT2-T20C2.gif

User Interface

The T20C2 has a fairly unique interface. Tighten the bezel for Turbo, loosen for General mode. So far, so good – just like a classic Fenix or EagleTac 2-stage interface.

Where it gets interesting are with the "hidden" modes. There is a low output mode that can be accessed by rapidly switching to or from Turbo/General within a sec or so (i.e. a rapid Turbo-General-Turbo, or General-Turbo-General switch). The low setting is not retained if you turn the light off – it will come back on in Turbo or General mode, depending on how you left the head. Interestingly, the light doesn't just jump from one output mode to another – when going down in output, it rapidly ramps down instead.

The other (unfortunately not-so hidden) mode is strobe. This can accessed by doing a rapid twist from General mode to off and back to General mode again. Unfortunately, it can also be accessed by simply clicking off-on within 3 secs. :sigh:

This removes the ability to rapidly signal in momentary mode, and means you will always strobe yourself if you turn the light back on within 3 seconds of it turning off. I would have preferred if strobe had been confined solely to a head switch instead of a simple off-on tail click.

Strobe frequency was measured at 8Hz, similar to the EagleTac M2-series lights.

No PWM (Pulse-Width-Modulation)

Consistent with other EagleTac lights, I was unable to detect any signs of PWM. :) As the runtimes clearly indicate, lower output levels appear to be current-controlled.

Testing Method: All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com method. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for the extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

Throw values are the square-root of lux measurements taken at 1 meter from the lens, using a light meter.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

18650-Summary1.gif

18650-Summary2.gif

18650-Summary3.gif

As you can see, there is relatively little difference in throw between the smooth and OP reflectors. Max output of the T20C2 is a little higher on 2xRCR/CR123A compared to 1x18650 – and it currently the brightest 2xRCR/CR123A light in my collection. :eek:oo:

Output/Runtime Comparison:

T20C2-Hi18650.gif

T20C2-Med18650.gif

T20C2-HiRCR.gif

T20C2-MedRCR.gif

T20C2-HiCR123A.gif

As previously noted, the T20C2 is brighter on Max on 2xRCR or 2xCR123A than any similarly equipped light in my collection. :) Regulation and runtime performance is very good, consistent with a current-controlled circuit

Performance on 18650 is as expected for a multi-power, current-controlled R2-equipped light. By that I mean that an 18650 on Max is direct-drive, with a slow decay over time (as opposed to full regulation). You will see from above that this pattern is common on maximally-driven, multi-power lights.

Please keep the above in mind when comparing lights – invariably, these sort of results trigger hand-wringing from those who want perfectly flat regulation on 18650. If you really want that, you will generally need to go with an 18650-only light, or a multi-power light that isn't driven as hard on 18650. :shrug:

And while on this topic, please remember that all current-controlled, multi-power lights tend to have similar runtime performance for a given output and emitter. I am sure the Fenix TK11/12 lights would look similar if I had them to test. In my experience, EagleTac, Olight, and Fenix circuits tend to have relatively equivalent (and excellent) runtime performance. :)

Potential Issues

Strobe mode is easily (and potentially inadvertently) accessed by clicking off and back on within 3 seconds. This prevents momentary signaling.

Like all maximally-driven, multi-power lights, the T20C2 is direct-drive on Max on 18650.

The light features physical reverse polarity protection in the head, requiring the use of button-top 18650 cells. Some of the newer high capacity flat-top 18650s (i.e. protected 2600mAh) may not work in this light without modification.

General Observations

EagleTac has done a very good job on the T20C2 – this light plays quite comfortably in the same multi-power 2xCR123A sand box as the "big boys" (i.e. the Fenix TK11/12, Olight M20, and JetBeam Jet-III family).

Runtime performance is as good as the other current-controlled lights (e.g. Fenix, Olight), and Max output on 2xCR123A/RCR appears to be highest in my collection at the moment. Well done. :thumbsup:

User interface is somewhat different, with the "hidden" Lo mode (and not-so-hidden strobe mode :rolleyes:). I found the regular output modes fairly intuitive and easy to use – but I dearly wish they would change it so that the strobe doesn't get activated by a simple off-on click as it currently does. This defeats the whole purpose of momentary signaling with a forward clicky. :candle:

Build-wise, the T20C2 is a solid feeling light. While it shares the same tailcap as the base-model T100C2, it has a more sophisticated UI feature set and body design (particularly in regards to the head design). Fans of aggressive knurling will be happy to see EagleTac has kept that feature unchanged, while adding extra elements like the removable clip and crenelated stainless bezel ring.

Also upgraded from the basic T/P100 series EagleTac lights are the extra goodies that come standard with this light (e.g. o-ring lube is a nice touch). Everything included appears to be of high quality, and I particularly like the bundled diffuser. This really is a very useful tool - I wish more manufacturers would make one available for their models. :thumbsup:

When you consider all the available optional accessories (e.g. RGB kit, tailstanding tailcap, OP reflector, etc), the flexibility and versatility of this light is impressive. Not to mention the price is right – I don't usually comment on this aspect of lights, but it seems to me that it would be hard to top the value you get for your money with the T20C2, among this class of lights.

At the end of the day, I'm impressed with this foray by EagleTac into the premium level of lights. I don't know if overall build quality is quite as high as the Olight M20 or Jet-III M (two of my favorites in this class) – but it is certainly close. With a little tweaking of the interface (i.e. strobe!), I think this light would be a real top contender in this class.

UPDATE Oct 24, 2009: FYI, EagleTac has come out with a newer offering with the same interface as the T20C2, but is much smaller in build - the P20C2. You might want to check out my P20C2 review if you are in the market for this class of light.

UPDATE JULY 27, 2010: Eagletac has just released a new XR-E R2 drop-in for the T20C2 Mark II. Basically, you get the throw and output characteristics of the original T20C2 reviewed here - but with the build and UI improvements of the Mark II series. :)

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Self built for the great reviews!

Looks like JB RRT-2's output/runtime efficiency isn't really that great for being what it is.
That just makes the T20C2 look even more attractive! =D

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, thanks! I'm probably buying this one.

Few questions: How is the low mode, does it really do 180 hours?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review as always, ihad just ordered one yesterday from pts-flashlights I am looking forward to it.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much for all your detailed reviews, this is one more in a long row which must have been a terrible work and are so terribly usefull for us flashaholics!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I was to get one of these babies for a VERY good price from my favorite dealer, but unfortunately, EagleTac didn't send the neutral white. Darn, the cool white doesn't interest me, too many similar lights...

Flashlight_Bug

Newly Enlightened
Quote from https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231734&page=3
"
icon1.gif
Re: New Eagletc Model - Codename: Tactical RGB
Hi all

Learning from our experience, we've conducted a total of two (paid) beta testing groups to test the T20C2 prior to production. The T20C2 is perfect in every aspect and requires no further modifications.

Nicole :thumbsup:"

One click and we have to wait for more than 3 seconds (I counted four for mine) before we can click again, otherwise it goes into strobe. That doesn't seem perfect in every aspect and requires no further modifications. Who were those paid beta testers?

The anodizing still sucks. Yes, out of the box, you get a solid looking light with uniform anodizing. But after a short period of use, even without dropping it, the anodizing has started to chip and you get ugly shiny spots all over the black body.

Hopefully, when they release the T20C2 Mark 2, they won't just release them in black.

brett174

Newly Enlightened
How does one go about getting the OP reflector? I haven't seen a single dealer that offers it.

Vesper

Enlightened
Yea, I like this light. Glad I bought it but the strobe placement is dumb. I seem to use lights more in momentary mode and 50% of the time I'm strobing when I don't want to be. :shakehead

DM51

Flashaholic
selfbuilt said:
When you consider all the available optional accessories (e.g. RGB kit, tailstanding tailcap, OP reflector, etc), the flexibility and versatility of this light is impressive. Not to mention the price is right – I don't usually comment on this aspect of lights, but it seems to me that it would be hard to top the value you get for your money with the T20C2, among this class of lights.

At the end of the day, I'm impressed with this foray by EagleTac into the premium level of lights. I don't know if overall build quality is quite as high as the Olight M20 or Jet-III M (two of my favorites in this class) – but it is certainly close. With a little tweaking of the interface (i.e. strobe!), I think this light would be a real top contender in this class.
Persuasive comment in an excellent review. This does look a very good light and very competitive indeed in its class.

Moving this to the Reviews section...

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it wasn't for the 'not so hidden' strobe access, I'd snatch it up immediately!

Thanks again for an excellant review, Selfbuilt! I've come to wait for your review before purchasing any lights these days! :twothumbs

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
TLooks like JB RRT-2's output/runtime efficiency isn't really that great for being what it is.
The RRT-2 performs very well on Max on all sources. It just can't compete in terms of runtime at the lower modes compare to true current-controlled circuits like these (especially on Lo, which isn't shown above). But runtime isn't everything, and the UI and build of the RRT-2 may be better suited for some.

Few questions: How is the low mode, does it really do 180 hours?
The Lo mode registers at 6.8-7.3 on my relative output scale (see the comparison chart in the review). That's not quite as low as the Olight M20's lowest mode, but it is close. It is certainly more than 5 lumens - I would estimate it is actually in the 10-15 lumen range (and closer to 15). Haven't tried a runtime yet, but I would expect several days at least at this level.

The anodizing still sucks. Yes, out of the box, you get a solid looking light with uniform anodizing. But after a short period of use, even without dropping it, the anodizing has started to chip and you get ugly shiny spots all over the black body.
Hmmm, no marks on the smooth finish of mine yet after a week of testing. But there were some chips in the anodizing on the knurling upon arrival - I've added that point to the review. It is sometimes hard to tell, since the aggressive knurling picks up dust and pieces of material it comes in contact with. But I believe knurling nicks are not uncommon on all EagleTac lights. :shrug:

How does one go about getting the OP reflector? I haven't seen a single dealer that offers it.
Try checking directly with EagleTac (i.e. Nicole).

Yea, I like this light. Glad I bought it but the strobe placement is dumb. I seem to use lights more in momentary mode and 50% of the time I'm strobing when I don't want to be. :shakehead
If it wasn't for the 'not so hidden' strobe access, I'd snatch it up immediately!
I hear ya ... I'm the same way. I find I use momentary mode a lot of on my lights, and don't like having to remember to wait at least 3 secs each time.

litetube

Enlightened
So, when you mention AW RCR123 Protected you mean 3.7V yes? I want to try them out but havnt seen anywhere that states it is safe to do so. I dont want to blow thelight up and figure out the hard way that you meant 3.0volts AW or something.

I thought I was the only one who found the strobe annoying at times? I am a hopeless flasher with my lights :). No I dont use flashlights naked, I tend to use lights in short flashes and/or bursts and find the strobe a bit annoying also. I guess if you use strobe alot then this setup would/could be useful

I think with aggressive knurling, just like on lights like the Ra lights you can get some "points" or sides of the points where the annodizing has come off or not adhered? I know HA likes flat surfaces best . Some lights if you turn them about the little spots of shinyness come and go depending on the angle. As the maker of the Ra lights has said, this doesnt affect the functionality of the coating.

mfranke

Newly Enlightened
I have mine, and for about a week now, have been blinding my co-workers, not to mention throwing them into epileptic fits with the strobe.

I think the only thing I can say I'm not loving is the ease of which the strobe is inadvertantly activated. I would have liked for something that required more concerted effort to engage.

Other than that, a fine light for the money.

I can't find a noticeable difference using either the Li-Ion or the CR123's, but I'll burn the CR123's and never look back. There's no internal sleeve or shim, and I hates me some loose, rattling batteries.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So, when you mention AW RCR123 Protected you mean 3.7V yes? I want to try them out but havnt seen anywhere that states it is safe to do so. I dont want to blow thelight up and figure out the hard way that you meant 3.0volts AW or something.
Yes, I used AW protected 3.7V RCR (~4.2V fully charged), without a problem. Although the EagleTac literature makes no mention of these, I (and others) have tested them without incident so far.

I can't find a noticeable difference using either the Li-Ion or the CR123's, but I'll burn the CR123's and never look back. There's no internal sleeve or shim, and I hates me some loose, rattling batteries.
Because of the wider bore to accommodate protected 18650, you will get battery rattle with CR123A/RCR. You can buy a CR123A/RCR battery holder for all the EagleTac lights. For some odd reason, one came included with my T100C2 but not my T20C2 :thinking:.