4 Sevens
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 615

Thread: NEW XPG ARE HERE plus SST-50 -90 & MCE/P7 P60 dropin Modules for Sf product (part 3)

  1. #211

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Hi Dave,
    The UV came in fine. Sorry I am late to report.

    As described it is extremely bright. One thing I didn't think about was beam pattern and it is focused very tight. Is there any chance you might have an op reflector I could swap onto it?. I believe med would help it greatly as I don't need throw with this but ideally a larger beam.

    As a last note, this thing is so strong that shining it on white at close range will almost blind you.

    Thanks Dave
    X/BillyD..
    So much to learn, so little time.. ')
    DFW Texas Spring Fling CPF and LPF Flashapalooza, TBA? ')

  2. #212

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by acgriff View Post
    Received my R2 quickly. Great tint. I worked on the spring a little and got it to fit my VME head on an SF E with a single 16340. Great drop in. Brighter than my old P2D EDC.

    Thanks for your suggestion.
    Andrew
    Hi Andrew

    I am glad to know they work fine with a VME head. I try to help as much as I can according to the members needs.
    As I told you with your set up you have great run time also when needed.

    Thanks
    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    PM sent on a SST-50 dropin.
    Hi

    PM replied to

    Dave

  3. #213

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by X_Marine View Post
    Hi Dave,
    The UV came in fine. Sorry I am late to report.

    As described it is extremely bright. One thing I didn't think about was beam pattern and it is focused very tight. Is there any chance you might have an op reflector I could swap onto it?. I believe med would help it greatly as I don't need throw with this but ideally a larger beam.

    As a last note, this thing is so strong that shining it on white at close range will almost blind you.

    Thanks Dave
    X/BillyD..
    Hi

    I will send you a mop in a day or two, it may smooth the beam out some but it will not change the throw a whole lot since led lens is already smaller than the opening by quite a bit so there is no focus to it, it is just how the led is built. I can resputter a mop and tone it down a bit but the way it reacts to whites and such is an action of the wave length more than the strength or the light.
    The Cree UV is much brighter light wise but doesn't react to whites as strong which is why it is not all the throw but actual florescence or the led.
    I am sure I can find a driver with another level if needed.

    That led is only pushed at 500ma.

    Please watch your eyes as these are more powerful wavelength wise than the Cree. If you don't have glasses a GOOD pair of UV sunglasses will help.

    I will get the reflector in the mail in the next day or so.

    Thanks

    dave

  4. #214
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,072

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par



    SST-50 3 Mode Direct Drive

    MOP or even LOP is fine.

    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

  5. #215

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    I'm checking mail and see this (blabla has sent you a package) and I'm trying to remember what I ordered.
    lol
    That's too quick dude. but thanks..

    I understand what your saying bout the die size. I'll try the diff reflector and if it doesn't smooth it a bit I'll bead blast a lens lightly and that may be a better solution. It is so powerful that I think if I can dbl the size of the hot spot it will still be more than enough.

    Thanks for going over my head. lol
    X/BillyD..
    So much to learn, so little time.. ')
    DFW Texas Spring Fling CPF and LPF Flashapalooza, TBA? ')

  6. #216
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mönchengladbach, Germany
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by X_Marine View Post
    As a last note, this thing is so strong that shining it on white at close range will almost blind you.
    Oh yeah, this drop-in is amazing. Welcome in the club.

  7. #217
    Flashaholic* run4jc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Back in Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    2,738

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Dave - I am using one of your SST-50 drop in's (a week old) with a Surefire 6P host running ONLY 2 primaries - originally the light was 3 level - now it is only 1 level. These batteries have maybe 10 minutes total use...
    I'm not upset about it or anything - I prefer it full level anyway - just curious as to why?

    Love the drop in - the only way I know to describe the light: out to 75-100 feet it is overwhelming. Lit up 3 deer in a field the other morning and they froze - never moved while the light was on them.

  8. #218

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    Dave - I am using one of your SST-50 drop in's (a week old) with a Surefire 6P host running ONLY 2 primaries - originally the light was 3 level - now it is only 1 level. These batteries have maybe 10 minutes total use...
    I'm not upset about it or anything - I prefer it full level anyway - just curious as to why?

    Love the drop in - the only way I know to describe the light: out to 75-100 feet it is overwhelming. Lit up 3 deer in a field the other morning and they froze - never moved while the light was on them.
    Hi

    Almost 100% of the time the driver got too hot. If you return it I will be glad to look it over and make sure it is running right and return it.

    Please PM if you need addresses.

    Thanks

    Dave

  9. #219
    Flashaholic* run4jc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Back in Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    2,738

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    Hi

    Almost 100% of the time the driver got too hot. If you return it I will be glad to look it over and make sure it is running right and return it.

    Please PM if you need addresses.

    Thanks

    Dave
    PM sent.

  10. #220

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    PM sent.

    PM replied to

    Thanks

    Dave

  11. #221
    Flashaholic* run4jc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Back in Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    2,738

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    PM replied to

    Thanks

    Dave
    PM replied to - interested in a 'thrower' drop in that will run off 2 RCR123 batteries - levels not required, but 2 would be okay - a low and a very high.

  12. #222
    Enlightened Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Hi Dave
    I received my SST 90 drop in 3 levels, and it fits nicely in my “FinHead" Custom by Fivemega. It turned out to be a very nice flashlight with Solarforce L2-S3 Tailcap. I use an 18650 AW 2200 mAh. The beam is very floody and it light up a room quite good. But the beam is not as strong that I expected. I hoped more from the SST 90. Do you think I can get more output of the SST 90 with another type of batteries?
    JETBeam -III PRO I.B.S. - Nitecore D10 - Lupine Betty X Pro - Sgt Burkett K2 - Custom MC-E by download - Golden Mini M*g by fivemega - Maratac AAA - "FinHead" Custom Fivemega + SST 90 nailbender

  13. #223

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hi Dave
    I received my SST 90 drop in 3 levels, and it fits nicely in my “FinHead" Custom by Fivemega. It turned out to be a very nice flashlight with Solarforce L2-S3 Tailcap. I use an 18650 AW 2200 mAh. The beam is very floody and it light up a room quite good. But the beam is not as strong that I expected. I hoped more from the SST 90. Do you think I can get more output of the SST 90 with another type of batteries?
    Hi

    You will get a little more out of two primaries and I don't know if your 18650 is an IMR but they tend to have a bit higher amperage it seem like. I use a Five mega 1 C host with a red AW 26500. Alot of the problem is the small reflector des as you said makes it very floody. The brightness is there it is just spread out. Most all measure above 800 initially but being so floody gives the impression it is not.

    Cheers

    Dave

  14. #224
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,072

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    The 90's are 800L, impressive.

    What do the SST-50's start out at? 500L?
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

  15. #225

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    The 90's are 800L, impressive.

    What do the SST-50's start out at? 500L?
    Actually I just tested one and it was 757 OTF but drops as it heats.

    The 50 I just measured start at 591 they end at around 500 or a little less, you can tell we are not pushing the limits because they drop slower than some leds.

    Dave

  16. #226

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Hey dave, I still haven't dried the UV (so sad over it) but I have a q about it.

    I have a pair of industrail plastic glasses that have polarization on them(basically they make lights appear a bit less bright) They are clear otherwise, if I take them off, I can see a bluish hue on the inside.

    Is that a normal UV coating? If so, would that be safe to use with the nichia? thanx again

    p.s i love how u packed this drop-in, excellent idea

  17. #227
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mönchengladbach, Germany
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I received my SST 90 drop in 3 levels [...] it light up a room quite good. But the beam is not as strong that I expected. I hoped more from the SST 90.
    Make sure to try it outside. Testing the SST-50 (regulated one though) and SST-90 indoors, it is like "Ok, the 90 is more floody and a bit brighter, I think, let's check the 50 again, ah yes it is", whereas outdoors it is more like "Wow, there's so much more light from the 90! Uhm wait, the 50 probably was not on high, let's see... no it was. ".

  18. #228

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by ptolemy View Post
    Hey dave, I still haven't dried the UV (so sad over it) but I have a q about it.

    I have a pair of industrail plastic glasses that have polarization on them(basically they make lights appear a bit less bright) They are clear otherwise, if I take them off, I can see a bluish hue on the inside.

    Is that a normal UV coating? If so, would that be safe to use with the nichia? thanx again

    p.s i love how u packed this drop-in, excellent idea
    If they have UV protection then its OK but I am not smart enough to know if colorized is good enough. I have seen the industrial glass that are clear that are UV protectant.

    If you are not looking right at it you should be OK

    Dave

  19. #229
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,072

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    I received my 3 speed DD SST-50 drop in today.

    I swear after I placed my order I had shipping confirmation 10 minutes later, or so it seemed!

    I ordered this dropin on Friday, as well as a FM 1 x 26650 tube, and a IMR 26650, and I even found a 6P head on the marketplace.

    They all showed up today, I got four packages. (Unfortunately my wife checked the mail today and not me. )

    This dropin is very nice. Actually this is my first non SF dropin, other than the Malkoffs I own. The emitter is just about perfectly centered, if not perfectly centered. The quality is nice, and the orange peel on the reflector is to my liking as well.

    I had to charge my IMR, so that took like 3.5 hours. In the meantime I loaded the FM 26650 tube with a AW Li Ion 3300mAh C cell I had laying around. I dropped the drop in in. (Funny sentence eh?) I then clicked the button, wow. The beam is very nice. A nice hotspot that covers 30-35% percent of the total diameter of the beam. I could be wrong, never was good at geometry. And it was bright too! There is no doughnut or square or any dark artifacts in the center of the beam. If you want to split hairs, my example does seem to have a slight dim ring around the corona, then gets brighter in the spill. LOL, you would NEVER see that in real use, thats looking at a white ceiling.

    On the lower levels I dont notice any PWM flicker, and I am pretty sensitive to it too. I find the three levels spaced well, but for my use, i could just use a two stage with high and low, since low isnt that low. Low is bright enough for 95% of all tasks, my tasks at least. I would guess low is 25-35 lumens.

    OK, my IMR finally finished charging.

    Pulled out the Li Ion and put in the IMR 26650.

    Click=

    This thing, seems anyways, way brighter on the IMR C cell than the Li Ion C cell.

    Wow, the beam is gorgeous and lit up my yard very nicely. The throw is good, but not great, but still better than I expected. With the big focal spot the SST-50 has, I didnt expect throw. I must say though, I think it out throws the P7/ MC-E, while maintaining brightness (brighter?).

    All in all, for the price, this is a WINNER!

    Good job David, I am already thinking of a SST-90. You said it starts at 800L?

    Hmmmm, must resist...
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

  20. #230

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    hi dave,
    i'm not allowed to PM yet. please send me your contact info to:
    s0548010@monmouth.edu

    thanks!

  21. #231

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    I received my 3 speed DD SST-50 drop in today.

    I swear after I placed my order I had shipping confirmation 10 minutes later, or so it seemed!

    I ordered this dropin on Friday, as well as a FM 1 x 26650 tube, and a IMR 26650, and I even found a 6P head on the marketplace.

    They all showed up today, I got four packages. (Unfortunately my wife checked the mail today and not me. )

    This dropin is very nice. Actually this is my first non SF dropin, other than the Malkoffs I own. The emitter is just about perfectly centered, if not perfectly centered. The quality is nice, and the orange peel on the reflector is to my liking as well.

    I had to charge my IMR, so that took like 3.5 hours. In the meantime I loaded the FM 26650 tube with a AW Li Ion 3300mAh C cell I had laying around. I dropped the drop in in. (Funny sentence eh?) I then clicked the button, wow. The beam is very nice. A nice hotspot that covers 30-35% percent of the total diameter of the beam. I could be wrong, never was good at geometry. And it was bright too! There is no doughnut or square or any dark artifacts in the center of the beam. If you want to split hairs, my example does seem to have a slight dim ring around the corona, then gets brighter in the spill. LOL, you would NEVER see that in real use, thats looking at a white ceiling.

    On the lower levels I dont notice any PWM flicker, and I am pretty sensitive to it too. I find the three levels spaced well, but for my use, i could just use a two stage with high and low, since low isnt that low. Low is bright enough for 95% of all tasks, my tasks at least. I would guess low is 25-35 lumens.

    OK, my IMR finally finished charging.

    Pulled out the Li Ion and put in the IMR 26650.

    Click=

    This thing, seems anyways, way brighter on the IMR C cell than the Li Ion C cell.

    Wow, the beam is gorgeous and lit up my yard very nicely. The throw is good, but not great, but still better than I expected. With the big focal spot the SST-50 has, I didnt expect throw. I must say though, I think it out throws the P7/ MC-E, while maintaining brightness (brighter?).

    All in all, for the price, this is a WINNER!

    Good job David, I am already thinking of a SST-90. You said it starts at 800L?

    Hmmmm, must resist...

    WOW i could not have said it better myself.
    It is a good led. I have heard this about the low and I wish I had a bit of control over the levels but to no avail. The real problem is the driver does its job but it works off of %'s and when you take 15% of 500 to 600 lumens you still have a pretty bright light. With these you almost need one set to 5%.

    If you do think about a 90 just remember still a hot spot but not as defined and very floody but very bright

    Dave

  22. #232
    Flashaholic* Black Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Posts
    4,622

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    For the 3-mode modules (Seoul P4 Neutral), what is the order - L/M/H, M/L/H, H/M/L?

  23. #233

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    For the 3-mode modules (Seoul P4 Neutral), what is the order - L/M/H, M/L/H, H/M/L?

    Hi

    They are low med high but they have memory.

    All I have in P4 right now is Ubin

    more on order

    Sorry

    Dave

  24. #234
    Flashaholic* petrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    1,382

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    I received my 3 speed DD SST-50 drop in today.

    . . .

    OK, my IMR finally finished charging.

    Pulled out the Li Ion and put in the IMR 26650.

    Click=

    This thing, seems anyways, way brighter on the IMR C cell than the Li Ion C cell.

    Wow, the beam is gorgeous and lit up my yard very nicely. The throw is good, but not great, but still better than I expected. With the big focal spot the SST-50 has, I didnt expect throw. I must say though, I think it out throws the P7/ MC-E, while maintaining brightness (brighter?).

    All in all, for the price, this is a WINNER!

    Good job David, I am already thinking of a SST-90. You said it starts at 800L?

    Hmmmm, must resist...
    Hi PSM

    Can you do a tail current measurement for your LiIon-C and IMR-C as that would be very handy information !

    Sounds like a great drop-in you dropped in !


    Cheers
    Pete

  25. #235

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Hi Dave,

    Thanks for your quick reply.

    for 1x sst50 / 3lvl + shipping
    Transaktionscode: 35R87237RD877592X

    Best regards
    tk

  26. #236
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,072

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Pete, I loaned my DMM to my brother about 18 months ago, when he returns it, I'll do that.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

  27. #237
    Flashaholic* Zeruel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SIN
    Posts
    3,245

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    I may have missed it. But how long can 800 lumens last for SST-90 before dipping?

  28. #238
    *Flashaholic* PoliceScannerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gainesville,FL
    Posts
    7,072

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Hey Dave, what is your best throwing combo, direct drive with a 26650?
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

  29. #239

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    Hi Dave, PM sent

    Regards,
    Jeff

  30. #240
    Flashaholic* Zeruel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    SIN
    Posts
    3,245

    Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

    I've waited for my first taste of Luminus with mixed anticipation. Some people are blown away by it and some came away disappointed with the output.

    Well, I've received my SST-90 3-Level drop-in today. Thanks for a fast delivery, Dave.

    I'm afraid to report that the output....


    almost blinded me.

    I tested against a Dereelight R2 drop-in. Here's are 2 quick shots.


    Dereelight R2 (left) vs SST-90 (right)

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •