4 Sevens
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW XPG ARE HERE plus SST-50 -90 & MCE/P7 P60 dropin Modules for Sf product (part 3)

Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

Hi Dave,
    The UV came in fine. Sorry I am late to report.

As described it is extremely bright. One thing I didn't think about was beam pattern and it is focused very tight. Is there any chance you might have an op reflector I could swap onto it?. I believe med would help it greatly as I don't need throw with this but ideally a larger beam.

As a last note, this thing is so strong that shining it on white at close range will almost blind you.

Thanks Dave
    X/BillyD..
    So much to learn, so little time.. ')
    DFW Texas Spring Fling CPF and LPF Flashapalooza, TBA? ')

Default Re: SST -50/SST-90 & MCE/P7 Custom P60/D26 style drop-in Modules for Sf products (par

Quote Originally Posted by acgriff View Post
    Received my R2 quickly. Great tint. I worked on the spring a little and got it to fit my VME head on an SF E with a single 16340. Great drop in. Brighter than my old P2D EDC.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    Andrew
    Hi Andrew

I am glad to know they work fine with a VME head. I try to help as much as I can according to the members needs.
    As I told you with your set up you have great run time also when needed.

Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    PM sent on a SST-50 dropin.
    Hi

PM replied to

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by X_Marine View Post
    Hi Dave,
    The UV came in fine. Sorry I am late to report.

As described it is extremely bright. One thing I didn't think about was beam pattern and it is focused very tight. Is there any chance you might have an op reflector I could swap onto it?. I believe med would help it greatly as I don't need throw with this but ideally a larger beam.

As a last note, this thing is so strong that shining it on white at close range will almost blind you.

Thanks Dave
    X/BillyD..
    Hi

I will send you a mop in a day or two, it may smooth the beam out some but it will not change the throw a whole lot since led lens is already smaller than the opening by quite a bit so there is no focus to it, it is just how the led is built. I can resputter a mop and tone it down a bit but the way it reacts to whites and such is an action of the wave length more than the strength or the light.
    The Cree UV is much brighter light wise but doesn't react to whites as strong which is why it is not all the throw but actual florescence or the led.
    I am sure I can find a driver with another level if needed.

That led is only pushed at 500ma.

Please watch your eyes as these are more powerful wavelength wise than the Cree. If you don't have glasses a GOOD pair of UV sunglasses will help.

I will get the reflector in the mail in the next day or so.

Thanks

dave

SST-50 3 Mode Direct Drive

MOP or even LOP is fine.

I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

I'm checking mail and see this (blabla has sent you a package) and I'm trying to remember what I ordered.
    lol
    That's too quick dude. but thanks..

I understand what your saying bout the die size. I'll try the diff reflector and if it doesn't smooth it a bit I'll bead blast a lens lightly and that may be a better solution. It is so powerful that I think if I can dbl the size of the hot spot it will still be more than enough.

Thanks for going over my head. lol
    X/BillyD..
    So much to learn, so little time.. ')
    DFW Texas Spring Fling CPF and LPF Flashapalooza, TBA? ')

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by X_Marine View Post
    Oh yeah, this drop-in is amazing. Welcome in the club.

Dave - I am using one of your SST-50 drop in's (a week old) with a Surefire 6P host running ONLY 2 primaries - originally the light was 3 level - now it is only 1 level. These batteries have maybe 10 minutes total use...
    I'm not upset about it or anything - I prefer it full level anyway - just curious as to why?

Love the drop in - the only way I know to describe the light: out to 75-100 feet it is overwhelming. Lit up 3 deer in a field the other morning and they froze - never moved while the light was on them.

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    Dave - I am using one of your SST-50 drop in's (a week old) with a Surefire 6P host running ONLY 2 primaries - originally the light was 3 level - now it is only 1 level. These batteries have maybe 10 minutes total use...
    I'm not upset about it or anything - I prefer it full level anyway - just curious as to why?

Love the drop in - the only way I know to describe the light: out to 75-100 feet it is overwhelming. Lit up 3 deer in a field the other morning and they froze - never moved while the light was on them.
    Hi

Almost 100% of the time the driver got too hot. If you return it I will be glad to look it over and make sure it is running right and return it.

Please PM if you need addresses.

Thanks

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    Hi

Almost 100% of the time the driver got too hot. If you return it I will be glad to look it over and make sure it is running right and return it.

Please PM if you need addresses.

Thanks

Dave
    PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    PM sent.

PM replied to

Thanks

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    PM replied to

Thanks

Dave
    PM replied to - interested in a 'thrower' drop in that will run off 2 RCR123 batteries - levels not required, but 2 would be okay - a low and a very high.

Hi Dave
    I received my SST 90 drop in 3 levels, and it fits nicely in my “FinHead" Custom by Fivemega. It turned out to be a very nice flashlight with Solarforce L2-S3 Tailcap. I use an 18650 AW 2200 mAh. The beam is very floody and it light up a room quite good. But the beam is not as strong that I expected. I hoped more from the SST 90. Do you think I can get more output of the SST 90 with another type of batteries?
    JETBeam -III PRO I.B.S. - Nitecore D10 - Lupine Betty X Pro - Sgt Burkett K2 - Custom MC-E by download - Golden Mini M*g by fivemega - Maratac AAA - "FinHead" Custom Fivemega + SST 90 nailbender

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hi Dave
    I received my SST 90 drop in 3 levels, and it fits nicely in my “FinHead" Custom by Fivemega. It turned out to be a very nice flashlight with Solarforce L2-S3 Tailcap. I use an 18650 AW 2200 mAh. The beam is very floody and it light up a room quite good. But the beam is not as strong that I expected. I hoped more from the SST 90. Do you think I can get more output of the SST 90 with another type of batteries?
    Hi

You will get a little more out of two primaries and I don't know if your 18650 is an IMR but they tend to have a bit higher amperage it seem like. I use a Five mega 1 C host with a red AW 26500. Alot of the problem is the small reflector des as you said makes it very floody. The brightness is there it is just spread out. Most all measure above 800 initially but being so floody gives the impression it is not.

Cheers

Dave

The 90's are 800L, impressive.

What do the SST-50's start out at? 500L?
    -Gene Malkoff

The 90's are 800L, impressive.

What do the SST-50's start out at? 500L?
    Actually I just tested one and it was 757 OTF but drops as it heats.

The 50 I just measured start at 591 they end at around 500 or a little less, you can tell we are not pushing the limits because they drop slower than some leds.

Dave

Hey dave, I still haven't dried the UV (so sad over it) but I have a q about it.

I have a pair of industrail plastic glasses that have polarization on them(basically they make lights appear a bit less bright) They are clear otherwise, if I take them off, I can see a bluish hue on the inside.

Is that a normal UV coating? If so, would that be safe to use with the nichia? thanx again

p.s i love how u packed this drop-in, excellent idea

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I received my SST 90 drop in 3 levels [...] it light up a room quite good. But the beam is not as strong that I expected. I hoped more from the SST 90.
    Make sure to try it outside. Testing the SST-50 (regulated one though) and SST-90 indoors, it is like "Ok, the 90 is more floody and a bit brighter, I think, let's check the 50 again, ah yes it is", whereas outdoors it is more like "Wow, there's so much more light from the 90! Uhm wait, the 50 probably was not on high, let's see... no it was. ".

Quote Originally Posted by ptolemy View Post
    Hey dave, I still haven't dried the UV (so sad over it) but I have a q about it.

I have a pair of industrail plastic glasses that have polarization on them(basically they make lights appear a bit less bright) They are clear otherwise, if I take them off, I can see a bluish hue on the inside.

Is that a normal UV coating? If so, would that be safe to use with the nichia? thanx again

p.s i love how u packed this drop-in, excellent idea
    If they have UV protection then its OK but I am not smart enough to know if colorized is good enough. I have seen the industrial glass that are clear that are UV protectant.

If you are not looking right at it you should be OK

Dave

I received my 3 speed DD SST-50 drop in today.

I swear after I placed my order I had shipping confirmation 10 minutes later, or so it seemed!

I ordered this dropin on Friday, as well as a FM 1 x 26650 tube, and a IMR 26650, and I even found a 6P head on the marketplace.

They all showed up today, I got four packages. (Unfortunately my wife checked the mail today and not me. )

This dropin is very nice. Actually this is my first non SF dropin, other than the Malkoffs I own. The emitter is just about perfectly centered, if not perfectly centered. The quality is nice, and the orange peel on the reflector is to my liking as well.

I had to charge my IMR, so that took like 3.5 hours. In the meantime I loaded the FM 26650 tube with a AW Li Ion 3300mAh C cell I had laying around. I dropped the drop in in. (Funny sentence eh?) I then clicked the button, wow. The beam is very nice. A nice hotspot that covers 30-35% percent of the total diameter of the beam. I could be wrong, never was good at geometry. And it was bright too! There is no doughnut or square or any dark artifacts in the center of the beam. If you want to split hairs, my example does seem to have a slight dim ring around the corona, then gets brighter in the spill. LOL, you would NEVER see that in real use, thats looking at a white ceiling.

On the lower levels I dont notice any PWM flicker, and I am pretty sensitive to it too. I find the three levels spaced well, but for my use, i could just use a two stage with high and low, since low isnt that low. Low is bright enough for 95% of all tasks, my tasks at least. I would guess low is 25-35 lumens.

OK, my IMR finally finished charging.

Pulled out the Li Ion and put in the IMR 26650.

Click=

This thing, seems anyways, way brighter on the IMR C cell than the Li Ion C cell.

Wow, the beam is gorgeous and lit up my yard very nicely. The throw is good, but not great, but still better than I expected. With the big focal spot the SST-50 has, I didnt expect throw. I must say though, I think it out throws the P7/ MC-E, while maintaining brightness (brighter?).

All in all, for the price, this is a WINNER!

Good job David, I am already thinking of a SST-90. You said it starts at 800L?

Hmmmm, must resist...
    -Gene Malkoff

hi dave,
    i'm not allowed to PM yet. please send me your contact info to:
    s0548010@monmouth.edu

thanks!

I swear after I placed my order I had shipping confirmation 10 minutes later, or so it seemed!

I ordered this dropin on Friday, as well as a FM 1 x 26650 tube, and a IMR 26650, and I even found a 6P head on the marketplace.

They all showed up today, I got four packages. (Unfortunately my wife checked the mail today and not me. )

This dropin is very nice. Actually this is my first non SF dropin, other than the Malkoffs I own. The emitter is just about perfectly centered, if not perfectly centered. The quality is nice, and the orange peel on the reflector is to my liking as well.

I had to charge my IMR, so that took like 3.5 hours. In the meantime I loaded the FM 26650 tube with a AW Li Ion 3300mAh C cell I had laying around. I dropped the drop in in. (Funny sentence eh?) I then clicked the button, wow. The beam is very nice. A nice hotspot that covers 30-35% percent of the total diameter of the beam. I could be wrong, never was good at geometry. And it was bright too! There is no doughnut or square or any dark artifacts in the center of the beam. If you want to split hairs, my example does seem to have a slight dim ring around the corona, then gets brighter in the spill. LOL, you would NEVER see that in real use, thats looking at a white ceiling.

On the lower levels I dont notice any PWM flicker, and I am pretty sensitive to it too. I find the three levels spaced well, but for my use, i could just use a two stage with high and low, since low isnt that low. Low is bright enough for 95% of all tasks, my tasks at least. I would guess low is 25-35 lumens.

Click=

This thing, seems anyways, way brighter on the IMR C cell than the Li Ion C cell.

Wow, the beam is gorgeous and lit up my yard very nicely. The throw is good, but not great, but still better than I expected. With the big focal spot the SST-50 has, I didnt expect throw. I must say though, I think it out throws the P7/ MC-E, while maintaining brightness (brighter?).

Hmmmm, must resist...

WOW i could not have said it better myself.
    It is a good led. I have heard this about the low and I wish I had a bit of control over the levels but to no avail. The real problem is the driver does its job but it works off of %'s and when you take 15% of 500 to 600 lumens you still have a pretty bright light. With these you almost need one set to 5%.

If you do think about a 90 just remember still a hot spot but not as defined and very floody but very bright

Dave

For the 3-mode modules (Seoul P4 Neutral), what is the order - L/M/H, M/L/H, H/M/L?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    For the 3-mode modules (Seoul P4 Neutral), what is the order - L/M/H, M/L/H, H/M/L?

Hi

They are low med high but they have memory.

All I have in P4 right now is Ubin

more on order

Sorry

Dave

. . .

Click=

Hmmmm, must resist...
    Hi PSM

Can you do a tail current measurement for your LiIon-C and IMR-C as that would be very handy information !

Sounds like a great drop-in you dropped in !

Cheers
    Pete

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your quick reply.

for 1x sst50 / 3lvl + shipping
    Transaktionscode: 35R87237RD877592X

Best regards
    tk

Pete, I loaned my DMM to my brother about 18 months ago, when he returns it, I'll do that.
    -Gene Malkoff

I may have missed it. But how long can 800 lumens last for SST-90 before dipping?

Hey Dave, what is your best throwing combo, direct drive with a 26650?
    -Gene Malkoff

Hi Dave, PM sent

Regards,
    Jeff

I've waited for my first taste of Luminus with mixed anticipation. Some people are blown away by it and some came away disappointed with the output.

Well, I've received my SST-90 3-Level drop-in today. Thanks for a fast delivery, Dave.

I'm afraid to report that the output....

almost blinded me.

I tested against a Dereelight R2 drop-in. Here's are 2 quick shots.

Dereelight R2 (left) vs SST-90 (right)

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast