South Bay Area Camping Interest Thread - For 09/26/09

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will be a one nighter at Henry Cowell Redwoods near Santa Cruz. The date I'm proposing is Saturday, September 26th. We would have a potluck BBQ and campfire. Those that just want to come for the evening and not camp overnight are also welcome. We could have a raffle too if enough people want it. I'm sure I don't have to mention anything about flashlights.:whistle:

The following day (Sunday) after we check-out there's another option. It's the last weekend the beach train to the Boardwalk will be running for the season. Departure would be at 10:30 am and the return ride will put you back at the park either at 1:30 pm or 4:30 pm, depending on which return train you catch.

Cost of the campsite(s) will be covered. Cost of bringing your car I think is now at $10; I need to call and ask. Cost of a round trip train ticket to the Boardwalk is $21.50 per adult, $16.50 for kids 3 to 12, and under 3 is free.

This isn't a sign-up thread, just seeing how much interest there is and about how many campsites will be needed. If interested please tell me if you want to camp or just come for the evening, and if you want to ride the train to the Boardwalk. Also please tell me how many others you'd like to bring with you.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it's me, myself, and I for this one. Yeah I know it's kinda late in the summer to camp out. Just thought I'd see if there was any interest.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Alan, just not enough interest to get this one going. Usually we camp in early summer and turnout is high. Looks like I sat on the idea a bit too long this year.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
I am always up for a trip and I have yet to make it to Henry Cowell SP as of yet, I hope that this isn't one of the parks slated for closing.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am always up for a trip and I have yet to make it to Henry Cowell SP as of yet, I hope that this isn't one of the parks slated for closing.
It is on the closure list, however I hear it's also one of three in Santa Cruz County that receives federal funding, and closing it will result in the loss of those funds. We'll know more after September 7th.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't joking. I was hinting!! A Griffith Park meetup is long overdue.... :twothumbs

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't joking. I was hinting!! A Griffith Park meetup is long overdue.... :twothumbs
I hosted Griffith Park 2 1/2 years ago and I had a lot of help from many local CPFers. We hit the 50 mark for attendance which I've never seen before or since. Mr Ted Bear organized two more events in that park, and I think hamheart did a small gathering earlier this year. I still dabble with hosting an occasional event, but I'm a long ways from Los Angeles. Perhaps you'd be interested in setting one up.

Hi Larry,
Can't camp, but I'll be interested in a night hike ;)

ernest
Sorry you couldn't make the night hike back in June. Let me see what I can do about putting another one together.

gimmejr

Newly Enlightened
I went on a night hike in Santa Teresa a couple weeks ago and it was pretty nice because you could see the city lights and the sunset. One drawback about the park is that there are a few steep parts on the trail.