How to swap LE's in a Raw ???

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Raw NS is perfect but my Raw Ti (actually mislabeled SS) has a loose LE that completely falls out of the head (along with the reflector and lens) when battery is removed. Also, the negative battery terminal spring is not fixed to the base; just freely floats around. I'd imagine the spring issue is probably normal even though my NS spring is fixed in place somehow. But as for the loose LE, I'm not sure how it differs from a new replacement. I mean you can drop it right into the head from the threaded side and it falls all the way until it contacts the reflector with no interference whatsoever. How will the replacement LE snug itself into the head? Is there some little foot you need to slide over into the threads or something like that? Reason I ask is that the LE I currently have works just fine other than the fit issue. I'm trying to determine whether I'm keen on spending the addt'l 30 GBP to get a replacement part when there may be an easier fix to make the one I currently have work. Keep in mind that this behavior isn't typical of Orb lights; my Raw Ti is over 3 years old and has been through much abuse apparently. :) Do replacement LE's thread in, or are they press-in, or something else altogether?

fyrstormer

Banned
My Raw NS is perfect but my Raw Ti (actually mislabeled SS) has a loose LE that completely falls out of the head (along with the reflector and lens) when battery is removed. Also, the negative battery terminal spring is not fixed to the base; just freely floats around. I'd imagine the spring issue is probably normal even though my NS spring is fixed in place somehow. But as for the loose LE, I'm not sure how it differs from a new replacement. I mean you can drop it right into the head from the threaded side and it falls all the way until it contacts the reflector with no interference whatsoever. How will the replacement LE snug itself into the head? Is there some little foot you need to slide over into the threads or something like that? Reason I ask is that the LE I currently have works just fine other than the fit issue. I'm trying to determine whether I'm keen on spending the addt'l 30 GBP to get a replacement part when there may be an easier fix to make the one I currently have work. Keep in mind that this behavior isn't typical of Orb lights; my Raw Ti is over 3 years old and has been through much abuse apparently. :) Do replacement LE's thread in, or are they press-in, or something else altogether?
Both the light engine and the battery spring press-fit into place. They can be tricky to get to fit just right, especially if they've been removed and reinstalled repeatedly; a TINY dab of superglue might help. However, if it has never fit properly, that's something you should discuss with Rob.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I picked it up off Marketplace (just received yesterday) and was fully aware of its condition prior to the purchase. So I'm just at a crossroads; do I get a new LE when the one I have works just fine but doesn't fit tightly :popcorn: There's a video on Lummi's site about how to swap Wee LE's but nothing on the Raw's

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The loose fitting engine is normal. I've owned several Raws and some of them are loose and some are not, the spring at the base is the same deal. Has long has the light works fine and the high/low work properly , you don't need to replace the LE.

fyrstormer

Banned
Thinking more about it, I think I would put clear nail polish around the circumference of the LE circuit board, let it dry overnight, and then press-fit it into place. The nail polish should add just enough extra diameter to make it fit tightly, without gluing it in place forever.