McGizmo HD45 Osram Diamond Dragon FLuPIC 2.2A Mod

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Originally had a LuxV XX1T & a NEWBBx2 & was a nice thrower. Now it's the farthest throwing HD45 I've ever seen! Don't worry, the X-bin still lives in another head. Hope the owner enjoys!

-McGizmo HD45
-Osram Diamond Dragon LUW W5AP (Bin: NY 5Q)
-Cutdown 0.77" FLuPIC 2.2A V2.2
-Bored out McR-45
-2.2A-2.3A w/ AW 18650

Img_2830.jpg

Img_2725.jpg

Img_2850.jpg

Img_2803.jpg

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great Will :thumbsup:. I always wondered what it would be like switching FLuPIC modes with a twisty, but my Draco isn't too bad at all. Seems like this setup is gonna be great. Congrats to the owner.

donn_

Flashaholic
WOOT!

Can't wait for this one, Will. I love the look of that emitter down inside the McR45 reflector.

Bruce...Flupic actually works very well in a twisty. I have another HD45 which Milky visited, leaving behind an SSCP4 and a Flupic, and it works great.

BTW...the X-bin which used to live in the HD45 is now in a bare aluminum McLux PR head, which also ought to be great fun.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Donn has the coolest toys :twothumbs

@2.2A how hot does the HD45 get ?

donn_

Flashaholic
I expect it'll generate a good bit of heat on burst, but the HD45 has a massive head, and should sink it well.

The 2.2A burst is 10% higher than Osram's maximum rating for the emitter, but I figure if I only use burst sparingly, it should be ok. I have a few of these driven at 2A, and they have no problems at all.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
@2.2A how hot does the HD45 get ?

Donn is right, the HD45 does a great job heatsinking the DD. I ran it for 5 mins or so on max just to see how hot it gets & heat is not an issue. I've done a number of various Mr Bulk lights with this same bin emitter driven by D2DIM/LionHeart drivers & they can get pretty toasty at 2A.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Donn is right, the HD45 does a great job heatsinking the DD. I ran it for 5 mins or so on max just to see how hot it gets & heat is not an issue. I've done a number of various Mr Bulk lights with this same bin emitter driven by D2DIM/LionHeart drivers & they can get pretty toasty at 2A.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I have a couple of lights that I modded myself with Diamond Dragons
but they are all driven at 1400ma or 1500ma
Hmm ... maybe its time to give them a little boost :D

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
WOOT!

Can't wait for this one, Will. I love the look of that emitter down inside the McR45 reflector.

BTW...the X-bin which used to live in the HD45 is now in a bare aluminum McLux PR head, which also ought to be great fun.

Donn, packaged shipped today. :wave:

Although the XX1T had the legs cut short cause it was in the HD45 I got into the PR head ok. I also cleaned up those black stains for you. Hope you enjoy this one too! :grin2:

IMG_2658.jpg

Img_2758.jpg

Img_2778.jpg

Img_2902.jpg

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work as always, Will! Do you happen to have any comparable beamshots of the HD45 DD and maybe a luxV HD45?

BSBG

Enlightened
Great work as always, Will! Do you happen to have any comparable beamshots of the HD45 DD and maybe a luxV HD45?

Funny, I emailed DZ the other day about upgrading my LuxV HD45...

Great work Will!

warx23

Enlightened
I was thinking about having a build just like this last week.
Great work Will!

donn_

Flashaholic
Wow! That's all I can think of. They just arrived (Pretty durn fast from the left coast), and I fired them up. Wow!

There's just no comparison between the Diamond Dragon in the HD45 and either the SSCP4 or the X-Bin. It's easily twice as bright, and has a spectacular hot-spot. The overall beam quality is superb.

I'll try to set up comparative beam shots between the 3 HD45s later.

I can also report the XX1T emitter inside the PR head works beautifully. I screwed it onto a Balrog 2x body with an Aleph TC (22 Ohm), and it makes a perfect little Pocket Rocket with 2x RCR123s.

IMGP2941.jpg

Great work, Will.

:thanks:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awsome mod Will :)

Maybe one of these emitters in my LionCub....

Donn_ you lucky dawg :thumbsup: