REVIEW! Planet Bike Superflash Stealth

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
(Best viewed in Full Screen F11)
3145oqe.jpg

Hello fellow CPF cyclists! :rolleyes: What's that!? That is the Planet Bike Superflash Stealth. I purchased the stealth version a month ago at a decent price, $22.99. This light is hands-down, the best tail light in its class... in the industry...

Light: Superflash Stealth
Class: AAA lights
Company: Planet Bike
MSRP: $29.99 USD
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Ownership: 1 month

2epho39.jpg

Packing. Note: This product was purchased.

nf0l6f.jpg

ea03g0.jpg

2v3qwkw.jpg

vewwbc.jpg

2nasitx.jpg

15ib4fm.jpg

Planet Bike is THE bike company. They donate 25% of their profits to funding bicycle advocacy, offer instant tech support, and are greening up their business practices.

2v3g7dk.jpg

Warranty! On a side note, Planet Bike offers FREE SHIPPING on spare parts, small parts. "Why?" you ask. Well, for one they want to help fix your product for a cost that isn't half or more of the purchase price. They'd also rather help you fix your product, than see you throw it away. :thumbsup:

14b5kw6.jpg

Since I have been using it, the seat post mount is already on the bike.

258mrte.jpg

Here it is. The Stealth version is aesthetically the same as the original Superflash, only the plastic casing is black and the reflector is clear. Hence the name Stealth.

2jchdo8.jpg

n5r5zl.jpg

What you're looking down at is what truly sets the Superflash apart from other tail lights; the 1/2 watt BLAZE LED. No word on what supplier made the emitter. Why not 1 watt? Half watt is more than enough, trust me. Note the optics that magnify and intensify the already powerful red LED.

bg200n.jpg

Here we see the 2 eXtreme LEDs. These are also magnified via optics, two circles in the clear reflector. All LEDs are red, and the 3 together provide visibility for "up to 1 mile". Although, as some users will note, the light can be seen for even greater than 1 mile.

mcy9l1.jpg

You open the light using a coin... which is just about the only complaint I have for this light. Every time you open the light, the inset area in which you twist your coin gets damaged. The plastic is a little soft there, although the body is made of ABS plastic.

2yzjvix.jpg

ABS Plastic.

k2haq9.jpg

Opening up.

2iudflu.jpg

The black plastic case clad with the Superflash trademark. Many cyclists go with the Stealth because white colored bike accessories are very susceptible to getting dirty and also rare.

vzyq0k.jpg

The clear housing of the components. This half of the light is the the more heavier of the two... we'll get to this later.

347y4bs.jpg

This photo lets you see the inner workings of the BLAZE. Note the optics.

faalae.jpg

Although still restrained by the sealed shut housing, here we get a clear view of the eXtreme LEDs. We'll get to modes in a little.

nckruo.jpg

160563o.jpg

I usually use rechargeables, but this does not change the light's performance in this review much. The Superflash does however drain batteries fast, rechargeable and alkaline alike. You can see that the button assembly on the light is a small push button.

zwe3xz.jpg

2hgwzsn.jpg

Some more shots of the button mechanism. It's a clicky switch.

zvzjbl.jpg

And here we have the rubber gasket. The gasket has been improved from the original version after riders gave feedback to the company, stating that water could get in. No dunk test here, I trust it's rain proof, because you're not going to ride in the ocean. :crackup:

2i0c66t.jpg

The clicky button is protected and fully waterproof, as it is inside the light's case. Thus you push on this thin yet sturdy plastic to activate the light, cycle through modes, and turn it off.

hs6z9e.jpg

Mounting is key. The light comes with 2 gaskets to choose from. I'm using the bigger of the two. The mount is nut free! :p :crackup: No seriously, it doesn't require any nuts to hold the scew. You still need a screwdriver though ;) Sorry for those who still can't eat nuts :)

2ef029t.jpg

femjps.jpg

The mount outside. The Superflash mount is the top one.

m93gig.jpg

The Superflash Stealth mounted.

2nl4ehd.jpg

As with most mounts, you can change the pitch/angle. Mine is directly visible to drivers.

ivfj13.jpg

As vertical as can be.

160og8p.jpg

If your seat post is high enough, your Superflash Stealth can work in conjuction with other tail lights! Although, Superflash alone really should be enough.

Now for the outdoor shots. These shots were taken in the following settings:

f 2.8
ISO 200
Exposure compensation +2.0
Shutter speed varies

These shots were taken about 10 steps away from the bike.

2s9a9dw.jpg

Camera flash to let you know what the setup looks like. What you're seeing is the light from the flash bouncing off of reflectors and back into the camera. In fact take a look closer and you'll see that the Superflash Stealth is reflecting light as well. Taken at 1/15.

Note: the the Superflash Stealth is shown mounted with another tail light, the NiteRider TL 5.0. The tests below were conducted light independent. Thus the other light was taken off as to prevent any disparities in light. Simply put, these tests were conducted without the other tail light mounted.

Modes:
The Superflash Stealth has two modes; "Superflash" mode, and steady.

In Superflash mode, the 1/2 watt BLAZE LED blinks fast 2 times, then the 2 eXtreme LEDs blink faster 3 times, alternating on.

In steady mode, the 1/2 watt BLAZE LED is steady, while the 2 eXtreme LEDs are off. This shows that they are really there as support, and the BLAZE LED can do well alone. I prefer Superflash mode.

2h7qptd.jpg

Superflash mode. Taken at 0.5".

vfbmvt.jpg

Steady mode. A beautiful flower corona. Superflash mode is still equally bright, and this may just appear to be brighter due to the longer exposure. Taken at 0.5".

Now for some indoor shots of the light in action at a closer viewpoint. These were taken in Superflash mode.

2nm0jdu.jpg

The 2 eXtreme LEDs. Taken at f 2.8, ISO 200, EC 0.0, 1/8.

15rb3ti.jpg

The picture of review! The 1/2 watt BLAZE LED. Taken at f 2.8, ISO 200, EC 0.0, 1/8.

Well we're almost done. The next small segment is important for Superflash owners.

:caution: IMPORTANT:

Listen guys, about the problems with Superflash.

A few customers were having problems with the original Superflash and early Stealth models which included literally dismounting or having a bad seal.

What happened was that when a cyclist would hit a heavy bump, the two halves of the light would literally seperate. I call it Spontaneous Dismount. Thus since it's a tail light people can't see if they lost it or not. The logical explanation I give everybody: The half that is the lightest is also the half securely mounted the the bike. The heavy half that has the components, LEDs, batteries, is all on this other side. Thus you can understand how this might be possible. Rest assured! Planetbike says they've improved the gasket, so I'm guessing that was it. This also fixes the dew/water seeping into the light. Thus a better water tight seal.

They've fixed these problems. So how do you know if your light is okay?
I contacted tech support via email a month ago, before my unit arrived:

This is what you do (for both the original and stealth)

1. Open your superflash.
  2. Look at the inside of the plastic casing which is either white or black depending on your model.
  3. Look for a clock in the casting which will have numbers 1-12 going around it.
  4. In the center there will be a number.
  5. If your number is 08, YOU'RE FINE!
:thumbsup:

Here's a photo:

2yzjvix.jpg

Mine says 08 :party:

So if your's says 08 in the middle of the clock, no worries. It's a year stamp. The previous version is 07. Again, this is what Planet Bike told me via email. Good luck!

Thanks for reading. Show me those thumbs! :twothumbs This review took forever! Your cookies and views are appreciated. But please reply and :bumpit: too!

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the review.

interesting. I see 2 5mms, and I'll guess some sort of surface mount 1/2 watter, like the ncihias in an E1.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the heads-up via PM; what a great review! I'm glad that you put the information on how to distinguish the old vs. new models. Other cyclists on the net googling around may be able to pull this up, even if they aren't [yet] Flashoholics.

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
Fixed Optics: lens has been corrected to optics. Outdoor beamshots will be updated in a few, if possible. :)

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
By the way, I'm using TinyPic image hosting... let me know if there are any problems. Tell me how it performs. Supposedly it's "unlimited" bandwidth. Thanks. :)

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
Please note,
:caution: if you're having any image problems, please clear your cache. If that doesn't work, and problems persist, PM me. Thanks. ;)

ryball

Newly Enlightened
Seriously, I cannot emphasize enough how great these lights are. The flashing pattern is what makes this light. So much better than any other tail light.

I have one on each bike in the garage and all my friends have bought at least one since seeing mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBFjzcSotzw

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
:ohgeez: Sorry guys. What an epic fail, I forgot runtimes.... PB says it runs up to 100 hours on superflash mode.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review. Just ordered the light because of this review. I was always watching for a good taillight for my moutainbike and I think I found it.

rayman

ncaudio

Newly Enlightened
Here is an alternative that performs as well for $10 (probalby made by the same mfg.)

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/19...s-35-Lights/Sette-ST-316-Glo-Safety-Light.htm

There is a Youtube comparing these to the PBSF and he says it a little brighter and has a slightly different flash pattern.

I bought 4 of them but haven't personally compared them to either of the PBSF's yet, if they don't measure up I'll modify the post, there are some other PBSF clones out there that don't perform nearly as well

Last edited:

CGD08

Newly Enlightened
Great review. Just ordered the light because of this review. I was always watching for a good taillight for my moutainbike and I think I found it.

rayman

Thanks rayman! Hope you enjoy it! I'm behind on reviews, I hope to get back in soon.

ncaudio:
Yeah there's a few [competitors] out there. Here's another.

Thanks for reading.

BrianMc

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Didn't think anyone else here would care. I concur.

Reader for awhile. Registered so I could respond to this, got sidetracked on a battery issue. :wave:

Disclaimer: I have no stock in Planet Bike.
Warning: I can be verbose.

I always rode broad daylight so though I have a decades-long cycling history, my light use first started last fall and on through winter. I was tired of almost being run-over in broad daylight though wearing bright colored cycling clothing. Motorists here in South East Indiana are at least as distracted as elsewhere, and since very few adults ride bikes as serious transportation, bike awareness is just almost non-existent. A wake up call was in order.

I asked my not-so-local bicycle shop (NSLBS) for affordable obnoxious attention-getting rear lights. We tried the Princeton Swerve, then the SuperFlash. I now have three non-Stealth versions of the Super Flash, after two Princeton Swerves.

The Supers are Super. I run two on my seat stays or on the rack of the errand bike, the right one "On" as a steady light to help people judge distance and the one on the left in flash mode. These are swapped side to side each ride to even out the battery discharge. The snap in mounts are well, a snap to use. After a couple of weeks, I recharge the AAA NiMH's. I carry spare AAA's in my seat bag, too in case I forget. Battery swapping is easy, just like the Swerve but unlike my Xenon flasher which wants to drop battery contacts every time.

I did try to do a runtime on my first SuperFlash in flash mode with new NIMH Everready AAA's and it was weeks: somewhere in the 90 hour range. I did not record it, but YMMV, so let's just call it 'a long time' and be done. The Princeton Swerves were maybe 1/3 the run time, a week to ten days to recharging. (Riding 100-150+ miles a week).

Thanks for the tip on reading production date. Two of mine are 2008's and the other is a December 2007, judging by the "clock hand" mark. I have had no drop outs, but checking with my NSLBS, the later ones are definitely less prone to suicidal jumping to the pavement in a supposed bid for freedom. This is much less likely if the SuperFlash is worn (they are less lonely or there's a little less vibration), so the oldest one is now nestled on my helmet.

I have also had more issues with "not being seen" so my Xenon yellow flash joins the SuperFlash on the opposite (front) end of the helmet where it also no longer interferes with my other electronics.

The Swerve appeared to be the ticket to getting attention as its flash mode is even more grating than the SuperFlash's. Almost a visual "nails on the blackboard" kind of annoying. Maybe a hair brighter but not enough to be notable. The nice-feeling rotary switch on the original Swerve and its replacement disliked road vibrations from Day 1 well maybe Day 2 for the replacement. Neither the original nor its replacement would stay on (vertical orientation). Both first went off only over railroad tracks, then progressively lesser road irregularities shut them down. I tried to use gravity so the mode I wanted was in the down position,: nope. Rubber band: nope. The replacement is now on my Son's college bike on the rear rack in a horizontal position where it is hoped it will stay on if he ever turns it on. His Superflash still had the original batteries, so I suspect the Swerve will work just as well for him as the SuperFlash did, or should I say didn't? :poke:

To their credit, Princeton and the NSLBS were good about my not shipping a $40 non-functioning light back to them and took my word for it all, so I am happy with Princeton's and as ever, the NSLBS service. The Swerve's abilities when it worked were just that bit over the top I'd have liked. It was almost as bright as the Xenon but I won't be fussed if it is stolen. Kinda sad, really.

So after testing (for personal use, I was not thinking of writing it up, then)only two bright flashing lights recommended by my NSLBS, I am betting my life with three Planet Bike lights. I can't think of a stronger endorsement that doesn't include my becoming poorer.

If my DIY headlight goes well, I might try a matching supernova LED tailight to augment the Super Flashes. :D

Instead of "I didn't see you" I'll likely get: "I didn't see you because of a blinding red light!"

kananga

Newly Enlightened
These lights are the reason I haven't given a second thought to building a rear light. Why bother when someone's already dropped modern efficiency into an efficiently manufactured package? I don't have a "stealth" version, but I like the concept. The light source is red, so why add opacity by tinting the optic and "diffuser" portion of the body?

Not to mention, being a semi-active bike advocate and burdened with low-impact retentiveness, this just clinches the deal:
Planet Bike is THE bike company. They donate 25% of their profits to funding bicycle advocacy, offer instant tech support, and are greening up their business practices.

Warranty! On a side note, Planet Bike offers FREE SHIPPING on spare parts, small parts. "Why?" you ask. Well, for one they want to help fix your product for a cost that isn't half or more of the purchase price. They'd also rather help you fix your product, than see you throw it away. :thumbsup: