Appropriate Charge Rate for NiMH Batteries

Scooby Doo

Newly Enlightened
I own the Maha MH-C9000 WizardOne battery charger and I would like to know the appropriate charge rates for the following batteries:

1. Duracell Rechargeable AA 2650 mAh
2. Energizer Rechargeable AA 2200 mAh
3. Rayovac IC3 AAA 800 mAh
4. Rayovac Rechargeable 1.2V AA
5. Rayovac Rechargeable IC3 1800 mAh

Thanks.

:grin2:

Marduke

Flashaholic
0.5-1.0C is the proper charge current.

However I recommend not charging the IC3 cells, as they require a special charger and will quite possibly self destruct on any other charger.

Scooby Doo

Newly Enlightened
For a charge rate of 1.0 C, how long would it take to charge the above batteries?

I read on other sites charging batteries for 1 to 2 hours is the best way for prolonging the batteries lives. Is this correct?

I also own the Energizer 15 minute charger. I used this charger, before owning the Maha charger, to charge some of the batteries listed above but the charger had damaged those batteries, would I be able to bring them back to life using the Maha charger? I assume the excessive heat had damaged the batteries.

Is Sanyo Eneloop batteries considered to be better than the above listed batteries?

Thanks.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Scooby Doo,

Welcome to CPF.

Charging at 1C takes just over 1 hour. Charging at 0.5C takes just over 2 hours. Charging at 2C is not recommended, but if you did it would take just over 0.5 hours.

When using a charger that uses -dV to terminate the charge, the strongest end of charge signal is generated when you charge in the range of 0.5 - 1.0C.

15 minute charging is quick and it has its place, but you pay for this convenience in reduced cycle life. Once a cell is damaged physically, there is nothing you can do to bring it back. If the performance of the cell drops due to uneven electrolyte distribution, you can revive the cell through using the Break-In function on the C9000.

15 minute charge rates tend to damage the internal components of the cell as opposed to storage which can also involve damage to the internal components, but at first it usually be reversed. At any rate, the best way to try to improve your cells performance is to periodically run a Break-In function on them.

The IC3 cells terminate the charge by disconnecting the internal circuit when the cell internal pressure reaches a set value. A non-IC3 charger will think that you removed the cell at that point, and when the switch resets it will think that you inserted a new cell and begin charging all over again. If you are planning on charging IC3 cells on the C9000, you must remove them as soon as they first shut off.

Tom

travelinman

Enlightened
I charge all my Nimh cells at 200 mah. But then, I'm retired and my time is worth nothing and I have all day/week/month to wait. :nana:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I charge all my Nimh cells at 200 mah. But then, I'm retired and my time is worth nothing and I have all day/week/month to wait. :nana:

That is actually really bad for the cells. Chances of missed termination, and hence cooking the cell is greatly increased.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I charge all my Nimh cells at 200 mah. ... :nana:
Quite apart from the practice being bad if it's not terminated, NiMH cells have a capacity in mAh, and are charged in mA for a certain number of h.

:nana:

Yes Scooby Doo, Eneloops are great.

travelinman

Enlightened
That is actually really bad for the cells. Chances of missed termination, and hence cooking the cell is greatly increased.

I guess that all depends on which charger you are using. If your charger terminates at the appropriate time reliably then there's no problem. If you find that it terminates properly after "x" number of samples, then its OK to trust it.

You can even (and I have) checked the current flowing into the cell and compare that with the time it has been on the charger and calculate the amount milli amp hours sent to the cell on the cheaper chargers with no readout for that. I constantly check the readout on my 900 and it has never exceeded the cells safe capacity, therefore has always terminated properly.

I know some have found chargers that have done that at 200 ma, but I guess mine was not made on a monday or friday. :sssh:

brted

Enlightened
It seems like you would want to charge them as slowly as you can, provided you don't risk missing the termination. Since there have been problems missing termination lower than 500 ma, then I charge my AA's at 600 ma. Charging at 0.5C to 1.0C seems to be fine, but the faster you charge a battery the more heat you get and heat is bad, right?

If a battery has less than 1200 mah (like AAA's) then I use 0.5C.

Marduke

Flashaholic
If the cell is healthy, it will not get hot (just warm) when charged at the proper currents (0.5-1.0 C).

While you may think you are being kinder by charging them slower, you are actually putting your cells in an early grave.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, SilverFox and other sources have indicated a .5C - 1C is better for the NiMH chemistry and will result in better performance than a slow charge.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most sources agree that NiMH's are best charged at a 0.5-1C rate.

I think the misconception that a slow rate is good for NiMH's is a hangover from the days of NiCds. The simplest, and cheapest chargers were ones that approximated a forming charge or 0.1C hence, the 14-16hr chargers they used. NiCd's are somewhat tolerant of slow charging, but for example, Battery University states on their "Do and don't" page, that a fast charge is preferred over a slow charge for NiCds as well.

Dave

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
chargerates.jpg

Turbo V6 Camaro

Newly Enlightened
glad i searched

I have been going off the c-9000 book at .3c to .1c i ahve been doing all my cells at 700mah charge and 350-500 discharge

should i step it up some?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
glad i searched

I have been going off the c-9000 book at .3c to .1c i ahve been doing all my cells at 700mah charge and 350-500 discharge

should i step it up some?
Not 0.3C to 0.1C, 0.3C to 1.0C. In general, the highest rate your charger can do up to 1.0C is best. If your charger can't go that high, just use the highest it can manage.

J_C

Enlightened

Bad perhaps but I wouldn't say really bad. That rate is at or below 0.1C for most modern NiMH AA, cells that size can sit at 200mA current for many hours past being fully charged and you'll only lose maybe a dozen % of the lifespan in the long term, which can be an acceptable trade-off. Not ideal, but in the end we're talking about batteries costing a couple bucks a piece. Much commotion is made about idealisms in charging NiMH, but they really aren't all that picky to recharge providing they don't get excessively hot. Many batteries will be hotter at the end of a 1C rapid charge than they would get sitting at 200mA charge current for several hours past being fully charged.

There is insufficient evidence to conclude a rapid charge rate will result in better performance, more of an urban myth since we know a slow charge is completely capable of fully charging a battery, it just has to terminate not too soon and not too late which is the trickier part. What it will do instead is waste less power but if you're on the grid the difference won't matter.

On the other hand, I've 3 different cheap chargers that never have a problem sensing Delta-V cutoff when charging at about ~0.3C (700mA) with all the batteries I've put in them. Maybe charging circuits are getting better than they used to be, and since a basic level of features comes with even a $10 charger these days, not much reason to do without cutoff circuits in them unless it's a series pack being charged and so the charger either doesn't exist or is much more costly.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello J C,

I beg to differ...

There is enough evidence to support charging in the 0.5 - 1.0C range that the battery manufacturers actually recommend it.

Tom

J_C

Enlightened
See Sanyo's FAQ page, they clearly recommend against it.

http://us.sanyo.com/Batteries/FAQs

Can I use a "Quick Charger" to charge an eneloop battery?

Though it is possible to charge an eneloop battery in a "Quick Charger", it is not recommended. We recommend charging eneloop batteries in a NiMh charger that is 2 hours or more. Charging eneloop batteries in a "Quick Charger" can reduce the overall life of the battery.

How long does it take to charge an eneloop battery in the eneloop 4-position charger?

From 4 to 7 hours

(more on linked page)
Same is true of most battery manufacturers, they make several chargers with under 0.5C rate.