Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Default Re: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Andy, I have read where a resting or sleeping turtle can hold its breath for many hours. I would think depth has a bearing and obviously activity level. Turtles actively feeding may take breaths every few minutes or up to 15 - 20 minutes between surfacing.
    Wow! Few hours is what I have gathered too but I just wanted to reconfirm. That is an eternity!
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

I got this shot today:

First saw this little seahorse about a week ago but only got to visit her a couple times before a north swell hit and turned her world into a swirl of sand and crashing waves. I found her today in the sam location as before the swell and yesterday I was riding waves right over her spot!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

That reflects the level of intimacy you have with those marine creatures. Now you are really making me envious Don.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

Buttrock Re: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

I got this shot today:

First saw this little seahorse about a week ago but only got to visit her a couple times before a north swell hit and turned her world into a swirl of sand and crashing waves. I found her today in the sam location as before the swell and yesterday I was riding waves right over her spot!
    Hi Don,

Over the years you have shared many pictures with us, but this little seahorse is one in a million.
    Seemingly this little beauty of nature is possibly seeing her reflection for the first time in your watch crystal, this is an amazing shot.

I'm sitting here in front of my screen @04:00 EDT since I can't sleep. I'm getting over successful cancer surgery from a week ago and your pictures are a comfort to me in these small hours of the morning.

Don, mahalo for another beautiful look into your ocean of beauty.

Jeff

~ I've lived to see another sunrise ~
    ><(((•>
    ~ To love and be loved there is nothing else ~

Jeff.
    Bummer on the cancer but glad to hear of successful surgery.

All photography is nothing more than recording reflections of light at a point in time and from these reflections we glean information if not actual understanding. On many occasions I have had critters show interest in the dome port on my camera housing and I wonder if it isn't a distorted reflection in the port being the focus of this apparent interest. I have considered getting a hold of a piece of acrylic mirror to take with me underwater. This shot here has motivated me even further along this idea.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Flashaholic

Nice watch

I love Maui time. These photos are amazing Don congrats.

Unenlightened

Those are some really amazing pics!
    My kids love them

Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

This picture should be in the yearly edition of the news rag Time - TIME: PICTURE OF THE YEAR

I got this shot today:

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody — it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Hi guys,
    The seahorses have grown and I think the male has been pregnant and possibly had his first batch of youngsters.

He is on the left and she on the right in the pic below:

You can see his fat belly and the indentation where his pouch opening is in the image below:

She is a really pretty burnt orange color and much more striking than any of the other seahorses I have seen out there over the last few years.

In the shot below, I came across Friendly in pursuit of a large male (she is in the background and he in the foreground). I have never seen a female follow in the path of a male like this and I wonder if she has plans for the upcomming season..

In the pic below, you can see the distinct marking and break in the outline of the center scales on her head which is what I use to ID her.

I have gone down a few times to the manta ray cleaning station and had some good encounters.

My friend Cheryl King and others excavated a very late season hawksbill nest a couple days ago. The nest was late in hatching with no turtles to have emerged yet. Suspected problem was the roots of beach grass that had grown in the 70 days after eggs were buried. As it turned out, 179 live turtles were unearthed and sent on their way down the beach and into the ocean. Very cool!!

IR camera shot as the sun had set and illumination provided by a couple SunDrop IR lights I mounted on the IR camera housing:

I took a video of the hatchlings with the IR camera initially using waning sunlight source for the IR and then artificial illumination from the two lights.

Youtube LINK

Oh yeah, yesterday I had my first encounter with a Hawaiian Broad Stringray. I have swam with many of the eagle rays and some manta rays but this was a first with a ~4-5' wing span stingray:

Yay Friendly is back :-)

Flashaholic*

Amazing stuff Don.
    Chris

I am real envious of your lifestyle Don. It's just so exhilarating being with this creatures of the sea, and what clear water you have there.

Don, stunning photographs. It is always a pleasure to catch up with this thread.

Be careful of the stingrays, Don. Remember what happened to Steve Irwin.

Amazing envy-inducing pictures!
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

easilyled,
    I hear you. Every time I would dive down for a shot the stingray would lift its tail, sort of reminiscent of a scorpion. I always approached it from the front or side so that I was confident it was aware of me and I made no sudden or abrupt moves.

Don,

Nice work! I think this is what you were telling me last time we spoke? The sea horses are much smaller than I used to think they were.

Enjoyed the underwater photos very much.
    Last edited by RedLed; 03-19-2014 at 11:18 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Hi Guys,
    I have been getting more pics of the seahorses and turtles but redundant in posting them here. However it is whale season and last year I spent so much time riding my wave ski that I never did get in the water for an up close whale encounter. The waves have been fun and a distraction again this year but the other day I took time out and sat out there in hopes of a visitation. Didn't take long and a mom and calf surfaced not far off. I got in the water and made some noise so they would be aware of my presence and fortunately curiosity had them swim up to and then past me. I can't tell you how cool it is to see such large and magnificent creatures up close!!

I really like the shot above because you can see in a larger version that she and the calf are both looking at me. During the encounter I looked into their eyes a few times but it got confusing as to which one to concentrate on!

And then they were gone....

Don,
    All I can say is wow!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Jeff
    ~ I've lived to see another sunrise ~
    ><(((•>
    ~ To love and be loved there is nothing else ~

Last week I was out on my friend's Catamaran and we had a male humpback circle the boat a couple times as well as swim under and then up between the hulls. These guys are big!

That's great, Don!
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

You are a realy lucky men. Please, never stop posting your pictures...
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

You have my dream life: custom lights and Maui. Seriously!?!
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    You have my dream life: custom lights and Maui. Seriously!?!
    I'm sure that there are very many of us that are envious in the nicest possible way.

Living Don's life vicariously through these threads is still a privilege, even though its not as good as the real thing.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Wow Don...
    I totally understand why you are one of the hardest working man and major contributor of the custom flashlight community.

You're life really sucks!
    —————————————
    Tashi Bharucha Design

Hi guys,
    I feel most fortunate to live where I do now and get to build titanium flashlights and swim and surf in these warm waters with magnificent creatures around. I am most grateful for your support! Thanks!

My brother is visiting for a week and we hope for some whale time but have made due so far with some turtle time and a visit with the seahorses. My brother got this shot today of me with Melinda while I was taking a shot of him and Melinda.

My shot of him and Melinda:

Hi guys,
    I feel most fortunate to live where I do now and get to build titanium flashlights and swim and surf in these warm waters with magnificent creatures around. I am most grateful for your support! Thanks!
    Awesome shots. Thanks for posting.

Don, do you build lights as your "full time gig" or do you work elsewhere? Just curious.

Thanks again for sharing.
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Unenlightened

Hi guys,

My brother is visiting for a week and we hope for some whale time but have made due so far with some turtle time and a visit with the seahorses. My brother got this shot today of me with Melinda while I was taking a shot of him and Melinda.

My shot of him and Melinda:

Hello, I am Robin Lacruz from Venezuela and I am really amazed looking at your pics underwater. I actually first saw your page when looking about led front lights for vespa and then googled your page which took me here. I would like to know if you could make another of these vespa head lights for me (or maybe a few more since I know many people who would be interested to own one of these) in case the answer is yes, I would like to know what would be the price for each and if you could ship it to Doral Florida, USA. Thanks a lot for your kind reply and sorry to steal some of your precious time.
    Best regards, Robin Lacruz. robin.lacruz@gmail.com

Hi guys,
    The winter surf is on the wane and that means I will be headed back to the reef I visit most of the year although I will continue to check on the seahorses since they have ridden out the winter and are still hanging in there. There are some new faces as well as some old faces out on the reef.

In the shot below, a very young green sea turtle is tailgating a young hawksbill turtle; both newcomers to the reef this year.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213141516 LastLast