Maxpedition AGR/2        
Page 1 of 19 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Default Maui time (Pictures) - 3

Hi guys,
    This is the third in the series that started with Maui Time (pictures) and then followed by Maui Time (pictures) - 2 .

Today was another great day for a noon visit to the reef. My wife and I and a friend had a nice swim and checked in on the frog fish. I kept mostly to the outside hoping to see some larger animals like the eagle rays or manta ray or baracuda. There has also been a small tiger shark seen recently and the spinner dolphins have been coming in to the reef but I have been at the wrong place at the wrong time.

We finished our swim and were drying off and getting warm on the beach. We had just joked about being ready in case the spinners showed up and danged if I didn't see some out side and to the south and seeming to be headed our way! I told the ladies I knew I was getting suckered out once again but what the heck. I grabbed the gear and went down to the water and off and out I swam. I hadn't but made a few strokes out when I heard them underwater and so I just went for it. I got out past the reef's edge in about 35' of water and stuck my head up for a check on the surface. I saw some splashing and fins headed my way. Cool!

I ended up surrounded and not knowing where to look and focus.

I think this was the closest I have had some get to me and I might have been able to make hand contact if I had tried. I noticed a few of them were swimming and in physical contact with others. There was also some serious play among a few.

I don't think I could ever get tired of watching these guys swim in sync and play. Ultimately, they drew me south of the reef as they headed back south and then they were gone. I was totally stoked and invigorated by the encounter and took my time swimming back in. What a great way to end the day at the beach!! As I was swimming in, I saw a coral outcropping surrounded by the sand field and realized there was a green sea turtle resting on the bottom next to it. As I got closer, I could see that it was a really clean and healthy looking turtle and I decided to dive down for a shot. Halfway down, I think I got a lump in my throat. This turtle has a marking on its head I haven't seen for a couple years. For you old timers who have followed my ramblings, this turtle was none other than Friendly!!

I dove down a few times. She was probably in 25' of water. I would get close and then wave her up like I used to when she lived in a cave in the shallows. After one dive down and after some other swimmers had left, I saw her move her flippers and get out from under the ledge. I knew she was going to surface and I wondered if she would still be cool with me close by.

She seemed quite at ease and I took the camera housing from around my neck and held it out in front of me and let myself drift in towards her.

She ended up bracing herself away from me with her left front flipper on my right shoulder.

I was able to get a self portrait of me with my favorite turtle friend:

We ended up hip to hip and slowly spun away from each other. I then circled around to face her again and just watched her as she took a couple more breaths. She dove back down to the bottom and I headed in to shore. There might have been some excess saline in my eye and not from the ocean. I have had some incredible coincidences out there and sometimes wonder......
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Default Re: Maui time (Pictures) - 3

wow, the last pic has perfect reflection in your goggles too.

I wonder if Friendly remembered you. They live a long time, but I have no idea what their memory is like.

I often wish I lived somewhere in the world I could swim in the ocean for more than 10 minutes before freezing....

On the other hand, the one thing which scares the bejeezus out of me is sharks in open water, I would literally have heart failure.
    www.anarkypaintball.com Constantly looking for SHINEY things
    Some people are like slinkys. They have no real good use, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face

Its strange how you can tell Friendly is friendly by nature just by looking at photos. I'm glad she is back.

Flashaholic

I had the fortune to visit Hawaii on my honeymoon after battling cancer back in '07. Now, a few years later, I think of Hawaii as the most beautiful place i've ever enjoyed he pleasure of visiting. I am working so hard to convince my wife to move there...and pics like these just illustrate why.

Thanks for sharing, Don. You live well, sir.

Jason

Fantastic set of photos, glad you started a new thread so I'll be able to easily find them!

It's great to hear about Friendly, Don!
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Simply Amazing
    www.Lummi.co.uk
    Email (No Pm's) Please lummii@gmail.com

I'm impressed by how well your sundrop illuminates the water, with such striking and realistic effect as the real sun

Sometimes destiny calls with a friendly voice
    Good to hear and thanx for sharing.
    bk
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Friendly! Wow, that's awesome!!!

So cool. Great photos Don - and so cool to see that Friendly is doing well!

john

Flashaholic

*sigh* why don't I live in Maui?!

super nice pics Don!

Here's a couple shots I found of Friendly I took in the early part of 2004:

She was always game to pose with friends. Below is a shot I got of a friend with Friendly in 2005:

Also in 2005, a "head shot" of her:

In 2006, I got carried away taking turtle pics and many were of Friendly:

Back then, I would visit here for 4 -6 weeks every Feb-March and then wait out the rest of the year until I could once again return to Maui and get into the ocean and hope to see some familiar faces. During those years, I never knew if I would once again see Friendly after so long of an absence and to dive down and peer under a ledge and see her, wave her up and then eventually see her come up to join me on the surface as in the shot below, was really magic!

I saw her in the late winter of 2007 and I think the photo below was the last time I saw her on the main reef. To finally move here in the summer of 2007 and find that Friendly had split, was a painful reality.

Crossing paths with her yesterday was real comforting and as with real friends, it's good to know that life continues whether we are close and in contact or only there in the occasional thought or memory.

OK, enough of the past. I promise this thread will move forward with the present and future.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Don, I feel as though I could identify friendly 50 years from now, and I'm

And wow, I can't believe it had been a year since you had seen Friendly! I didn't realize that you were only visiting when diving with Friendly, that would have made me if I had finally been able to move just to find that my good friend had left.

As always...AMAZING & THANK YOU!!
    -"Must control self"-

Don, this truly made my day. Thank you so much for this. I am truly grateful that Friendly is alive and well.
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Very cool.Great visibility.
    I can't wait for the Leatherbacks to come in in Sept.
    That's my annual vacation. Ride down south to Corcovado and check them out.
    Sea turtles are awesome.

Great photos! You probably get asked this a lot, but what kinda of camera do you use for these shots?

Fantastic photos! Do you have amazing experiences like that on a weekly basis? I have to figure out a way to get the family to Hawaii. Haven't been there myself since 1986.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by copperfox View Post
    Great photos! You probably get asked this a lot, but what kinda of camera do you use for these shots?
    What I am swimming with now is a Nikon D300 with 20 mm lens and #4 diopter to allow it to focus on a virtual image generated underwater by a 6" dome port on the Subal Housing. It works nicely for both in close shots of the small stuff as well as the larger guys like above. When whale season comes,
    I will go to a 16 mm fisheye behind a 8" dome port. That rig would be better with the turtles and dolphin as well because you can get that much closer to the animal and still get it in the frame. I can also use it for split scenes above and below the surface.

When the water gets colder and visibility not good due to surf, I swim with a smaller package consisting of an Olympus Stylus. The large Subal housing really restricts my speed out there but it takes such great images when I use it right that I have decided to tow it around and limit my speed.

You never know what you are going to see out there and there is so much to be amazed by it would be tough for it get boring, I think. The conditions are not always ideal but when they are reasonable, a nice swim is quite refreshing.

From Friendly's point of view, it was probably perfectly normal that you came and went -- lots of animals migrate to and from Hawaii every year. To think that only humans bother to interact with other species in cordial circumstances is foolish; anyone who's spent time in the wild (in my case the woods, in your case the ocean) knows that isn't the case.

As for where she went, well...there are lots of reefs around those parts. It would be kind of neat to get a transponder on her to see where she goes, but she'd probably never trust you again if you did that.

Also, this...

...is a really good picture. Can I get a full-size version?

Hi Friendly! Wow Don there she is again. I follow your Maui Time post closely and all the pics you took and the stories you wrote made Friendly grow close. Good to see that you two have met again. Excellent to see that she is doing so well. Great thing, let's count our blessings and Carpe Diem!
    Cheers,
    Jurphaas.
    Have a Bright Day!

fyrstormer,

I uploaded a high resolution version, HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by edc3 View Post
    ... Do you have amazing experiences like that on a weekly basis? .....
    Don
    This question stuck in my mind and I figured I would respond further. The notion of amazing experiences is subjective and what is amazing to one is a cure for insomnia for another. The more I observe the diverse life under water and consider some of the symbiotic relationships between some of the critters, the more amazed I become. In terms of both creation and evolution, a look at what is there and how it all fits together and interrelates is simply mind boggling and I suspect our perceptions and understanding just scratch the surface of something really deep and perhaps even beyond dimension.

I would suggest that I now see amazing stuff on a daily basis and I am grateful that I am in a position to get to view this as well as try to fathom what might be going on.

A few days ago, after showing my marine biologist friend a coral colony that seemed to be doomed to algae invasion, we headed back to shore. In the shallows, I spied some green object under a ledge that was unusual and on closer inspection, it proved to be what I suspected it might be. It was a sponge crab.

I prodded it out of its little cave with a simple little titanium/NiTinol probe I made and have taken to carrying with. She and another person both had cameras and were stoked at the chance to take some shots of the crab in clear shallow water. I dove down for a shot myself (above). I went to the beach and joined my wife. A bit later, some friends of ours showed up and after mentioning the sponge crab to them we decided to all go out and see if it as still there. It was and this time when I prodded it out, it left its sponge in the hole and came out naked.

In the pic above, you can see the underside of the sponge which doesn't see daylight and is brighter in yellow. I believe I have previously posted about these crabs and how they pick up a sponge out of a nook somewhere and they keep this sponge on their back using some specifically developed legs that serve only to hold and move the sponge around as a shield and disguise. The sponge grows as does the crab and the crab trims the sponge to suit its needs!?!?

Well this guy stayed outside his hole and would attack small fish that were coming in to see what the commotion was about and hoping for some free meal. I felt bad about this guy being naked so I dove down, grabbed the sponge and then dropped it down on the crab. Initially it attacked the sponge in defense but almost immediately, it recognized what it was and went about wrestling with it and getting situated with its cover. This involved ultimately rolling upside down and twisting the sponge around.

The four of us on the surface were entranced watching this. Shortly after getting properly dressed, the crab returned to its hole but it went in face first with its back exposed to the outside. That struck me as curious so I dove down and looked into the dark hole. I spied a second and smaller sponge crab in there! Oops! I had been interrupting a procreation act! No wonder the crab was so pissy with me and the fish that came around.

The next day, for the heck of it, I returned to the spot to see if by chance they had remained there. What I found was a different sponge than his and only the sponge. Later on and about 20' away, I spotted a small sponge crab, sans sponge, down on the reef in a small sand area between the coral. I figured this was the female and owner of the sponge. I swam over and grabbed the sponge and brought it over to the crab. It didn't respond and in no time I realized it was dead. No idea what happened to it but when I looked at one image I had taken, I could see damage to one of its legs and perhaps this was an indication of its demise.

Look at the break in the rear left leg in the image above. (Its shell had broken loose and lifted up in the process of handling it.) I took a shot of its sponge:

Was this initial encounter and subsequent discoveries amazing? Well I think so but had the question not been posed, I probably wouldn't have brought it up or bored you guys with it.

I am blown away with man's advances in technology, the accomplishments man has made and so much of stuff "we" have come up with yet I can't began to understand let alone appreciate for all its intricacies and complexity. However, viewing and observing the creatures in nature and asking myself simple questions of how and why blows me away so much more when I consider that in addition to the simple complexities easy to observe, these things are alive and growing, competing for survival and reproducing!!! Amazing!!

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

One more Friendly-related news... a snippet from Don which I was trying to find... from 2007:
    Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    ...I think there is a good chance I may never see Friendly again.
    It looks like there was a BETTER chance that you WOULD see Friendly again!

john

Don, one of the biggest reasons I keep up with Maui Time is because of these stories. Those of us who can't visit can see a lot on documentaries and such, but the little things in life that aren't worthy of TV time are often far more compelling because they are personal experience that aren't for mass market. I'll take you little stories any day of the week because they don't try to convey some big picture, but simply share small, personal events that somehow convey far more wonder and appreciation because of their intimacy. It's easier to relate to Friendly and have wonder and compassion towards her (and as a result sea turtles in general) than it would be towards sea turtles as a whole without your morsels.

The pictures are great, don't get me wrong. But it's the observations, stories, and such that really give them meaning beyond just the image they show.
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Keep trying to bore us, Don. You suck at it!
    Trees don't grow on money either.

I took my wife to the airport today. She is returning to Berkeley and her work. Back to solo for a couple months and need to get caught up on some flashlight stuff. I visited the reef this afternoon to check on the two frog fish which were both in their typical spots for a change.

I swam north on the outer edge of the reef and came across three spotted eagle rays swimming in close formation and seemingly taking turns at digging for crabs. I was with them for maybe a half hour and then broke it off to finish my "route". I had plenty images to deal with.

They were down about 25+ feet and I would try to dive down at times when there might be something worth getting a shot of. Otherwise, I just hung on the surface and watched them feed and fly. I did end up down at a good time and actually got a shot of one just before it started digging for a crab. Finally got an idea of what its mouth was about:

close up crop:

And then the sand storm...

Don,

Thank you very much for putting up the full size photo of Friendly. That is a "keeper".

Fantastic photos of the Eagle Rays above!

Neale

Page 1 of 19 1234567811 ... LastLast