Bright AAA Flashlight with Clicky for Keychain?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a AAA flashlight with a clicky rather than a twisty.

Ideally it should be as bright as a Fenix LD01 Q5 when used with a L91 battery (I only use primaries - no 10440 info needed).

One mode is ideal (I only use the highest mode available) but multiple modes are OK.

I know it will be larger than the Fenix LD01 because of the clicky but ideally it should be small enough for keychain carry.

I have absolutely no interest in any kind of twisty interface.

Price under $100

Thanks for your help!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Liteflux LF2XT. I don't have one yet, not sure why. Features a XP-E nuetral white LED, pocket clip, programmable, rear clicky (more of a microswitch button than a clicky as I understand it).

recDNA

Flashaholic
Check out the Liteflux LF2XT. I don't have one yet, not sure why. Features a XP-E nuetral white LED, pocket clip, programmable, rear clicky (more of a microswitch button than a clicky as I understand it).

Thanks.

I was hoping for a choice as bright as the LD01 but if I cannot find one the LF2XT is a possibility. I know it is unpopular here but I also find the color of the LF2XT too warm for my taste. The beamshots look brownish to me. I prefer creamy white but if forced to choose I would take blue over brownish or yellowish.

hotlight

Enlightened
you can add a Streamlight Microstream body and tail cap(forward clickie/tactical) to you ld01 head.......

but there will be a pocket clip that is not removable, but does have a slot in the clip where you can attach keys.

about $15 for the Microstream

search: fenixstream for more info.
(there is also a streamlight body that is same as the Microstream but fits 2 AAA, "stylus" might be the model)

or
get the LF2xt(not sure if it will be brighter due to warmer tint)

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
I was hoping for a choice as bright as the LD01 but if I cannot find one the LF2XT is a possibility. I know it is unpopular here but I also find the color of the LF2XT too warm for my taste. The beamshots look brownish to me. I prefer creamy white but if forced to choose I would take blue over brownish or yellowish.
dang.. the R2 bins all sold out.

the liteflux is indeed more like a "press"y.. not much feedback.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
you can add a Streamlight Microstream body and tail cap(forward clickie/tactical) to you ld01 head.......

but there will be a pocket clip that is not removable, but does have a slot in the clip where you can attach keys.

(there is also a streamlight body that is same as the Microstream but fits 2 AAA, "stylus" might be the model)
+1000000
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=179101
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=217658&page=3

Edit: Is that second link invalid for you too? I'll check up on it and re-verify that thread when I get the chance, IIRC it gets into the Fenix / Streamlight Stylus Pro 2xAAA configuration in a bit more detail...

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

or
get the LF2xt(not sure if it will be brighter due to warmer tint)

Thanks.

If there isn't simply a flashlight that meets the demands I'm looking for it is an innovative alternative. It's not the most attractive combo I've ever seen but I am happy with the beam of the LD01 so it would allow me to keep that brightness I love. I'm not sure if the combo is still compact enough for a keychain though.

Is there any trick to removing the LD01 head or the microstream tail that I would need to know?

I'm really surprised the LF2XT isn't brighter but I've seen many beamshots and none compare to the Fenix. I'd also be paying extra money for the Li-Ion over discharge protection circuitry that I'll never have any use for.

recDNA

Flashaholic
How about Lumapower Avenger Gx? Optimized for nimh.

Thanks. I appreciate the time you've taken to help me out!

The Avenger looked like a real contender... until I noticed it has no hole for a keyring with the clicky cap on. You need to use the twisty to install a keyring. It also looks as big as the Nitecore EZAA (of course that's a twisty). The Avenger looks like a nice flashlight though and I never heard of it before today.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I can see the tailcap adds quite a bit of length. It's too bad the piston type interface isn't more common.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a AAA flashlight with a clicky rather than a twisty.

Ideally it should be as bright as a Fenix LD01 Q5 when used with a L91 battery (I only use primaries - no 10440 info needed).

One mode is ideal (I only use the highest mode available) but multiple modes are OK.

I know it will be larger than the Fenix LD01 because of the clicky but ideally it should be small enough for keychain carry.

I have absolutely no interest in any kind of twisty interface.

Price under $100

Thanks for your help!

You can check my AAA roundup, it includes most AAA lights.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Yes, actually I checked your roundup before I even opened this thread. I couldn't find any flashlights there that met the criteria I set up. Did I miss one you can think of?

The candidates are:

Leatherman S2
Avenger GX
LiteFlux LF2XT

The GX does not mount in a keychain, the other two does, but I do not know how strong the mounting are.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The candidates are:

Leatherman S2
Avenger GX
LiteFlux LF2XT

The GX does not mount in a keychain, the other two does, but I do not know how strong the mounting are.

The Avenger is really on the large size too. Even with the twisty cap installed it's bigger than the competition.

Neither the Leatherman nor the Liteflux as are bright with primary AAA as the LD01 so they're not really candidates. The Liteflux is closer but I don't like what I consider the overly warm beam.

Too bad Quark doesn't make a AAA with a clicky.

Keep in mind, although I haven't mentioned it before, I could care less about throw. This light will be used at distances of no more than 10 yards so a really deep reflector with a concentrated hotspot doesn't appeal to me. I actually prefer the LOD to the LD01 because it is a "floodier" beam and a difference of 5 lumens isn't visible. I believe the Leatherman is about 1/2 the lumens as the Fenix on high. That is noticeable. The Liteflux is worth the money if you intend to use Li_Ion IMO but not just for primaries.

The best alternative I've seen yet would be the Streamlite-Fenix combo but it's just so ugly...and it is bigger than necessary too IMO. I don't have the tools nor the skill to cut off some of the threads to shorten it a little.

I wonder if the LOD head would fit and work on the Leatherman body?

Bottom line is if you can't think of a light that fits my specs the odds are nobody makes one... :=(

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Neither the Leatherman nor the Liteflux as are bright with primary AAA as the LD01 so they're not really candidates. The Liteflux is closer but I don't like what I consider the overly warm beam.

They has both about 80% of the light output of the LD01, according to my ceiling bounce test. This is a small, barely visible, difference.
kuku427 sold some LF2XT with a higher bin led, they might be what you are looking for, but it was a limited series.

JBorneu

Enlightened
The Fenix L0D head was compatible with the Streamlight Microstream body. I'm not sure if the LD01 is compatible also, but if it is, you can make your own bright tailcap clicky AAA keychain light. If not, try to find an L0D on the marketplace.

Edit: apparently it's already mentioned.

recDNA

Flashaholic
They has both about 80% of the light output of the LD01, according to my ceiling bounce test. This is a small, barely visible, difference.
kuku427 sold some LF2XT with a higher bin led, they might be what you are looking for, but it was a limited series.

Is the other version of the LF2XT you mentioned with the R2 bin?

Is the LF2XT brighter with Li-Ion than the LOD with lithium primary?