Storacell
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

Agreed. I read up on this and got a 4 pack of Lithium Ultimates for my gift-flashlights.

Man, I wish I had a charger for a 10440...I'd love to try it in the A3. I mean, the A1 works with RCR123 3.7Vs and is shorter and a bit fatter. So for short periods, I'd think the 10440 would work fine.

Default Re: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

Hi selfbuilt, compasillo and all the others,

as promised I measured the head temperature of the 2 X AAA version, built
    in a Cree XP-G and finally made a 3 X AAA version.

Pls. look to the "Homemade and Modified Flashlights" forum

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...19#post3290819

Wachtel

I can't believe how ridiculously well my Maratac AAA model is working out!

I purchased it just to try it out. But it's more handy than my beloved Fenix L0D rebel 80. Even the flimsy clip on the Maratac is working out. When it became too loose, I simply unsnapped it; and bent it down for a tighter fit. Then just snapped it back onto the light. I've found tailstanding to be a useful feature. It works better with a twisty than a clickie.

I don't order too often from CountyComm. (Mainly due to the shipping charges.) But my lone Maratac won't remain that way for long. Couldn't be a better treasure if it was made out of gold, and I tripped over it while walking in the mud.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Evilgrin07 Re: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

Hello every1 and greetings from the Philippines. Does the A3 have a dead on 14mm o.d.? I wish to mount them on my blowguns for rat hunting so I have to be sure because my flashlight holder can only accommodate the aforementioned circumference. Currently I am using 2A and 3A Maglites w/ Terralux upgrades but my hunting blowgun has an unknown brand torch that beats the supposedly 140 lumen 3A Terralux. Thanks and good evening...Btw I am a regular member of the Lefora blowguns forum.

Quote Originally Posted by crossliner67 View Post
    Hello every1 and greetings from the Philippines. Does the A3 have a dead on 14mm o.d.? I wish to mount them on my blowguns for rat hunting so I have to be sure because my flashlight holder can only accommodate the aforementioned circumference. Currently I am using 2A and 3A Maglites w/ Terralux upgrades but my hunting blowgun has an unknown brand torch that beats the supposedly 140 lumen 3A Terralux. Thanks and good evening...Btw I am a regular member of the Lefora blowguns forum.
    http://bllowgun.lefora.com/2010/01/0...orks-he/page2/
    Here is the link and my apologies for the lousy pics.... Very thorough review Mr. Selfbuilt and another cause for uproar amongst them FLASHNATICS hehe..
    Last edited by crossliner67; 04-17-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: can't provide link

Your link does not work for me (one in following post. I think you should reconsidder the A3 for this application. The size is good, but the Terralux should be brighter and have better runtimes. The twisty on-off may also not be ideal.

EDIT: I also do not see your pic in the next post #126
    Last edited by CampingLED; 04-18-2010 at 03:04 AM.
    Waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel? Well stride down there and light the damn thing yourself! - Samantha O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by CampingLED View Post
    Your link does not work for me (one in following post. I think you should reconsidder the A3 for this application. The size is good, but the Terralux should be brighter and have better runtimes. The twisty on-off may also not be ideal.

EDIT: I also do not see your pic in the next post #126
    Ohh, you are right, CL, sorry. I am not computer savvy, you know? Have to let some1 post my blowgun pics for me, hehe...Anyway, you could check out the Lefora blowguns site under the general discussion category/new-hunting-blowgun-for-2021- now-in-the-works thread in page 3 if you are not too tied up. My rig is all there. Thanks for the info/welcome and good evening, CL.http://blowgun.lefora.com/2010/01/06...orks-he/page2/
    Last edited by crossliner67; 04-19-2010 at 04:07 AM. Reason: cannot post link

Ohh, you are right, CL, sorry. I am not computer savvy, you know? Have to let some1 post my blowgun pics for me, hehe...Anyway, you could check out the Lefora blowguns site under the general discussion category/new-hunting-blowgun-for-2021- now-in-the-works thread in page 3 if you are not too tied up. My rig is all there. Thanks for the info/welcome and good evening, CL.http://blowgun.lefora.com/2010/01/06...orks-he/page2/
    Sheesh, I finally got it right. Good evening every1.

I was so impressed with the purple A3 I got for the lady, I got another purple for her mother and a natural for myself. This light is a real bargain. I think tonight I'll do a couple runtime tests, I've got some duraloops, ROV 4.0 and I may even sacrifice an L92 as well.

So I was playing around with the light and have some impressions:

-Really bright for a 1xAAA light.
    -Easy to use
    -Seems rugged enough
    -Clip is a bit weak for me, I'd worry about it slipping from my pocket
    -Can actually kind of tail stand as long as surface is nice and flat, but this shouldn't be relied on.
    -Ran just shy of 1 hour on high on a Duracell Pre-Charged cell
    -PWM is not noticeable to my (25 y/o) eyes on medium but I can notice it on low. It looks more like a slight flickering than a strobe effect though.
    -Low is very useful. Right between Moonlight and Low on my Quark.

One problem that I can't replicate is a mode problem. Sometimes when cycling through modes it will get into a H->L->H->L loop, skipping medium. This only happens if I cycle a long time, not in normal use but maybe there is a fault in the light?

I left my natural finish upgraded version of the ITP A3 EOS on in low mode last night. I woke up to find it flashing in beacon mode! I recharged the RAYOVAC HYBRID battery for a few seconds and left the light on in high mode until it died again. About 2 minutes later it started flashing again about once every 2 seconds. Apparently, when the battery gets down to about 0.85 volts the light either shuts itself off or just doesn't have enough voltage to power the driver. After the battery recovers a little voltage, the light comes back on in beacon mode. Now if the ITP only had beacon mode to begin with, I'd be a very happy camper!
    Last edited by Mockingbird; 05-02-2010 at 03:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
    Apparently, when the battery gets down to about 0.85 volts the light either shuts itself off or just doesn't have enough voltage to power the driver. After the battery recovers a little voltage, the light comes back on in beacon mode. Now if the ITP only had beacon mode to begin with, I'd be a very happy camper!
    But it does ! All you have to do is remember to feed it a steady supply of almost flat batteries

This thing is bright and it fits my blowgun flashlight mount perfectly! Ordered a red for the wife but I had ulterior motives hehe. I was surprised it's available here in the Phils and even Jetbeam and Solarforce but we have no stainless A3s yet and that's the 1 I want for my rig.

The AAA Maratac are on sale this weekend at CountyComm.

Unenlightened

Hi guys, where can I get a split ring which is strong but small enough to be used on the ITP A3 EOS? The hole is very small and I broke the split ring that came with the flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by amiendoe View Post
    Hi guys, where can I get a split ring which is strong but small enough to be used on the ITP A3 EOS? The hole is very small and I broke the split ring that came with the flashlight.
    A lot of coin cell keychain lights come with a small ring that will work on the ITP A3. I got a free keychain light with my last order from BatteryJunction. If you want to buy one or just see a picture, look under Titatium Innovations brand on the BatteryJunction site. I tried it on my ITP A3 and it fits.

My local hardware store carries a whole selection of nice quality split rings in different sizes in the section where they grind keys. I found a really tiny one that works nicely on my Quark CR2 mini. Of course, I'm lucky in that my local store is one of those 50 plus year old family run businesses that carries every conceivable nut, bolt and obscure hardware item that you've ever possibly imagined and if they don't have what you need it probably doesn't exist. Not every hardware store has that comprehensive a selection of split rings; nevertheless, any hardware store with a good key department would be worth a look.

Try a shop that sells angling equipment. Last time I bought a few from them. They are used a lot on lures to secure the hook to the lure. The quality is also better.
    Waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel? Well stride down there and light the damn thing yourself! - Samantha O'Connor

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...&postcount=141

q:
    I just received the upgraded A3 from goinggear 2 days ago. My modes go from low->med->high. Isn't that sort of weird? I would rather have it start in med. I emailed goinggear and they said the manufacturer, ITP, told them that the new ones are being produced with low->med->high. Can someone confirm this?

a:
    It is black and natural only for now. The color versions are still med-low-high.

Wonder if that means they got the higher PMW rate as well..

Enlightened

These look nice.I am going to get one for my wife(so i can get my light in the order without any guilt)

Quote Originally Posted by tbenedict View Post
    Wonder if that means they got the higher PMW rate as well..
    Boy, that higher rate rocks!

I'm VERY impressed with it in my copper Maratac! I'd almost swear the lower levels were regulated, even while trying the "wiggle the fingers real fast in front of the light" test! Much, MUCH better than my AO3, or any other light I've ever seen that employs PMW for that matter.

Default Does the head fit an E01 body ?

Thanks to the OP and everyone else who has posted info on these lights. I know this may be a long shot but I was wondering if the head of these lights happens to fit on an E01 body. I am very attached to the feel of the E01 and also find the tripod tailstand and ring attachment very useful as the E01 will stand on on my curved dashboard and similar surfaces. Thanks Again

I don't have an E01 to check, but I'm pretty sure the head has male threads, and the Maratacs have female threads, so no go.

Default DOH!

*headslap* Foiled again! You are 100% correct. Don't know how I missed that detail in the pics. Thanks, DesertWind

Enlightened

Default A3 Reliability?

I'm staring to have my doubts about the reliability of the A3's, to be honest.
    Last year I bought 12 A3's, as gifts and stocking stuffers.
    I gave both of my parents one, 2 to some friends, took 2 for myself and put the other 6 in the cupboard.
    Now, since then, my dad's up to his 3rd A3, and my mother's up to her second one.
    As I had some more laying around in the cuopboard, I just replaced their faulty lights.

Their lights just died, tried them on other tubes, tried to power the head straight from a power source, both to no avail.
    The two I've got danglin' from my keychains still work like champs, and they get (ab)used a lot more than my parents' units.
    I don't get it, honestly I don't : how come they break so easily?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: A3 Reliability?

Maybe your parents drop theirs onto hard surfaces (they are pretty small and light) but aren't brave enough to admit it to you ?

The only trouble I've had with mine was after I put (too long) protected 10440 batteries in a couple and tightening them up seemed to damage the drivers.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Gregozedobe View Post
    Maybe your parents drop theirs onto hard surfaces (they are pretty small and light) but aren't brave enough to admit it to you ?
    That's the werid thing, mine get dropped way more than theirs, sometimes multiple times a day, and they just take that licking and keep op ticking.
    I've got 3 more left in the cupboard, but after that, I'm thinking of not buying anymore A3's...

Two options: Tell them it is not diving lights or drop the dead ones a few times to improve the possible dead contacts.