Battery Junction - Olight
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

Talking Re: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

Nice review, thanks. I ordered one from Shiningbeam today. Can't beat it for the price.

Default Re: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

Here's MY Quote regarding the iTp A3 EOS
    For the "average" guy, the iTp A3 EOS 3-mode is the "last" flashlight you'll need to buy !
    I got the 80 lumen XP-E Q5 version and it is GREAT, the beam is very floody, shines well to over 100', where I live anyway. [very dark, no street lights etc]

It's too bad these are a little pricey or I'd give one to every pal and relative I have.

Default Re: ITP A3 EOS & Maratac AAA Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED PICS & more!

Quote Originally Posted by DrVette View Post

Here's MY Quote regarding the iTp A3 EOS . . . .

It's too bad these are a little pricey or I'd give one to every pal and relative I have.

Pricey ? ? ?

I just bought quantity One for $22.67, including shipping.

(XP-G R5 upgraded, Battery Junction, with CPF discount)

Seems like a True Bargain to me !

I certainly LOVE this sweet little flashlight.

BTW -- Energizer L92 batteries are my prefered choice for AAA's.

Quote Originally Posted by DrVette View Post
    I bought mine brand new for $20 and change. One of the biggest advantages to the iTP A3 EOS is its very low price.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I agree...I see them as one of the best bang for the buck lights out there.

great detail - thanks for all the info -

We have the ITP A3 EOS Upgraded lights (old style M/L/H) on each of the keyrings in the house. Recently our son said his light didn't work when he and mom were out looking for something. I opened it up, and the Duracell had leaked just a tiny bit. Cleaned it out and popped in a new battery, and all is well.... there's another thread about one of these lights "exploding".

Since these lights for us are used only as needed, and when needed -
    does it make sense to swap out the Duracell Alka for the Energizer Lithiums ?

Not so much for run time, or even the shelf life, but rather better life without leaking ?

SO - are the Energizer Lithiums (4x and 8x) ok to use in the A3 EOS ?

Quote Originally Posted by ps56k View Post
    great detail - thanks for all the info -

We have the ITP A3 EOS Upgraded lights (old style M/L/H) on each of the keyrings in the house. Recently our son said his light didn't work when he and mom were out looking for something. I opened it up, and the Duracell had leaked just a tiny bit. Cleaned it out and popped in a new battery, and all is well.... there's another thread about one of these lights "exploding".

Since these lights for us are used only as needed, and when needed -
    does it make sense to swap out the Duracell Alka for the Energizer Lithiums ?

Not so much for run time, or even the shelf life, but rather better life without leaking ?

SO - are the Energizer Lithiums (4x and 8x) ok to use in the A3 EOS ?
    If you don't want leaks consider using nimh batteries such as eneloops will save you $ in the long run vs. energizer lithiums.
    Current EDC: BA10 & E01 (back to old school)

I have an eneloop in mine, and it never fails to light up when I need it, and there is no fear of leaky batteries.

I always use NiMH or L92 lithium (energizer lithium) in any 1xAAA light I carry. For gifting, I always hand them out with a L92 lithium installed, since I know most folks won't use rechargeables - I don't like taking chances with alkalines leaking.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight S20R.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Yup, lithiums are the way to go in this case. No leaks.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Unenlightened

Hi,

Where do you get the ITP A3 R5 upgrade version with 90 lumen from? I look everywhere and cant find to buy. I really want to buy one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lemoncola View Post
    Hi,

Where do you get the ITP A3 R5 upgrade version with 90 lumen from? I look everywhere and cant find to buy. I really want to buy one.

Thanks
    First, welcome to the forum! I got my ITP EOS A3 from Going Gear back around Nov 2010. I just checked their site and am not seeing the ITP version but am seeing an Olight version called the "Olight i2 EOS 75 Lumen XP-G AA LED Flashlight". They also have different colored anodized versions listed but I'm not seeing the ITP version. There are other ITP models listed though.
    Try Google again and see what comes up. Good luck!
    Surefire E1e. Streamlight Scorpion,TwinTask 2L,Key-Mates. Fenix P1,P1D CE+Leef Body,P2D CE, PD20. Civictor V1. NiteCore EZAA, EZCR2. LumaPower D-Mini VX Ultra. Wolf Eyes 9DX Raider. Photon Microlight II. Solarforce Skyline 1

Quote Originally Posted by lemoncola View Post
    ITP was always manufactured by Olight (sort of a budget-line for them). They have now taken them back into the fold, and are just labeling all the lights as Olight. There may be a few vendors who still have old ITP inventory, but most everyone has switched to carrying the new Olight models.

The ITP A-series lights have beed replaced by the new Olight i-series lights (e.g. the A3 is now the i3). You can see a recent review I performed on the Olight i3 here.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight S20R.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Got a couple from Amazon last week:

http://www.amazon.com/iTP-A3-EOS-Fla...7081478&sr=8-2

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    ITP was always manufactured by Olight (sort of a budget-line for them). They have now taken them back into the fold, and are just labeling all the lights as Olight. There may be a few vendors who still have old ITP inventory, but most everyone has switched to carrying the new Olight models.

The ITP A-series lights have beed replaced by the new Olight i-series lights (e.g. the A3 is now the i3). You can see a recent review I performed on the Olight i3 here.
    Thanks for chiming in SB. Good to know we can always count on you for info! I've been out of the loop regarding lights for a while now as I've been happy with my current collection. I'll check out the i3, these are handy little backup lights.
    Surefire E1e. Streamlight Scorpion,TwinTask 2L,Key-Mates. Fenix P1,P1D CE+Leef Body,P2D CE, PD20. Civictor V1. NiteCore EZAA, EZCR2. LumaPower D-Mini VX Ultra. Wolf Eyes 9DX Raider. Photon Microlight II. Solarforce Skyline 1

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalMystic View Post
    I'll check out the i3, these are handy little backup lights.
    The new i3 is not exactly the same as the A3. It is build on the same driver, like a couple of other lights, but the physical design is changed, on some points to the better, on other points it is worse. I have also done a review of it, but is is more technical. On my website you can also find comparisons between many AAA lights and they are not technical.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Also available from ShiningBeam who offers a discount to CPF folks (check the CPF marketplace for the coupon code): http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...ITP/Categories

Also, you may know this already but it is worth mentioning that the older ITP A3 is not brighter than the newer Olight i3. Instead, their brightness was stated for different methods of measuring brightness (emitter lumens vs OTF lumens). So that shouldn't hold you back from buying the newer i3, which does have some small advantages over the older A3.
    Last edited by LanternLover; 01-21-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Anyone know if there is a source for the old original stainless or Ti A3 version with med-low-high? I already have one and love it enough to buy more if possible, but don't want low first nor the new style bolt-on clip that can't be reversed like the old one could. Both of those factors are deal-breakers to me.

^Countycomm still has the Maratac AAA version, if that will do, in stainless steel and electro polished stainless steel, reversible clip, and the older M>L>H turn on sequence. I own both iTP and Maratac versions and I actually prefer the Maratac's more aggressive knurling and slightly shorter length.

Note: Their newer versions, however, in normal, black, and copper, don't have the turn on sequence you requested.
    Last edited by mzil; 03-08-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mzil View Post
    ^Countycomm still has the Maratac AAA version, if that will do, in stainless steel and electro polished stainless steel, reversible clip, and the older M>L>H turn on sequence. I own both iTP and Maratac versions and I actually prefer the Maratac's more aggressive knurling and slightly shorter length.

Note: Their newer versions, however, in normal, black, and copper, don't have the turn on sequence you requested.
    Thanks! I don't really care one way or the other about the knurling. On my A3 the first thing I did was polish away the edges on the knurling to make them smoother (not totally gone, just not sharp edged), flipped the clip around, ground the keychain nub off, ground the clip down shorter so it could tailstand, polished that, then put a piece of heatshrink tubing over the body tube and clip attachment point.

That makes it MUCH nicer to hold in my mouth which I've ended up doing even more often than I'd imagined I would. Turns out I never have the head in my mouth though so the knurling being exposed there doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mzil View Post
    I can second that. The electro-polished stainless steel AAA Maratac has been living around my neck on a piece of their "tether cord" which melts really well together, for a "break-away clasp" that is permanently closed.

This thing has been my EDC since I got it, and it's been pretty amazing. That polished, stainless finish is pretty unreal. It looks really amazing. I got a pretty huge ding in mine, don't know how it happened so I don't know how hard it was hit. Other than that huge ding, the finish and exterior are still mint, like new, shiny as chrome off a trailer hitch.

I REALLY like the knurling on the Maratac, because the stainless threads (even with fresh SuperLube) always seem hard to turn. That knurling provides some mean purchase!

The Maratac lanyard hole LOOKS weak, but mine has performed it's duty without a hiccup - and there's a break test on youtube - but I do like how hardcore the lanyard hole is on the ITP A3 EOS, since I never do "tailstands" at stoplights anyway. Being around my neck, it's pretty much an in-the-mouth affair. Don't know if anyone else does that, and I won't let anyone borrow my light, but it's like a coach with a chrome whistle, quickly held between my upper teeth and bottom lip with that neck lanyard (with a titanium carrier bead, just for grins). It is just really convenient. That tiny form factor, with Sanyo Eneloops, makes having it constantly there is an easy reality.

I sleep with it around my neck. I haven't been strangled yet, but often I forget it's there and fall asleep with it. The only time I take it off is in the shower. It's embarrassing. It's too shiny, like jewelry around my neck. I have been covering it up, zipped inside my jacket, but now the weather is warming up, so I might have to wear it under my shirt. Then salt and sweat will test just how stainless that steel really is. I would have preferred sand-blasted stainless, but polished was all they had available when I got it, but I just am really happy that it's stainless. And steel. Too many anodized aluminum flashlights out there.

Copper sounds cool. But it's really expensive, and tarnishes so quick. I wouldn't like how copper tastes in my mouth - since I do "mouth carry" from neck lanyard. It would look dirty, and green, all tarnished, and probably taste like a dirty penny. Stainless is tastefully food-safe. Something to consider.

I do need to "upgrade" this thing though. One day. A titanium specimen will replace it, but it's gotta be nice. Titanium. With the best knurling. I only want one mode, bright. Momentary and on/off tail switch that tastes good.

I gotta say, hanging from a neck lanyard, the Maratac lanyard clip thing - how it's off to the side - makes it hang funny, but provides a nice thumb-spot for holding in cigar-mode. I wouldn't know where to put my thumb on the ITP A3 EOS, but it would hang straight, so that would be pretty cool...
    Last edited by Eneloops; 03-19-2012 at 07:13 PM.

When I received mine I put brasso on the threads and worked them back and forth a few times. That got rid of the typical grating associated with SS or Ti light threads, then instead of a heavy lube I used vasoline (which some argue will degrade the o ring but o rings have not been made out of natural rubber which would degrade for a very long time). The result is I have no need for knurling at all, unless I were wearing very slippery gloves. Take it for what it is worth, your needs may vary.

I absolutely love mine. It's the light that started for me what will surely spiral out of control into full-blown flasholicism. I never thought I'd EDC a flashlight, but I have been since I got it a few months ago. I'm very happy with the size to brightness ratio. I have a white-collar job, and I don't even notice it (nor is it visible) in the pocket of my slacks.

I recently got a set of Eneloops and I plan on trying out a 10440 in it soon. Aside from a lack of tailstanding, I don't really see any significant faults with it.

Just got an ITP A3 R5 96 lumens. Didn't realize that in medium setting the runtime would be only about 2hr 9 mins -- considerably less than the runtime for the 80 lumens ITP A3 version (3.5hrs).

Does anyone know of a similar 1AAA multi-mode EDC w/ around 3hr runtime in medium mode and around similar price range (besides going back to the 80 lumen ITP A3 version)?

Quote Originally Posted by 7clpz View Post
    Just got an ITP A3 R5 96 lumens. Didn't realize that in medium setting the runtime would be only about 2hr 9 mins -- considerably less than the runtime for the 80 lumens ITP A3 version (3.5hrs).

Does anyone know of a similar 1AAA multi-mode EDC w/ around 3hr runtime in medium mode and around similar price range (besides going back to the 80 lumen ITP A3 version)?
    hi, i measured runtimes myself, repeatedly with Eneloop AAA's, and posted the average typical maximum runtime in a thread of another flashlight forum. The runtimes are in the table there.

Quote Originally Posted by 7clpz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kreisl View Post
    hi, i measured runtimes myself, repeatedly with Eneloop AAA's, and posted the average typical maximum runtime in a thread of another flashlight forum. The runtimes are in the table there.
    Yes but that was on high mode. I think they got it right the first time, still love my modified v1 A3 Ti and doubt I will ever replace it unless it fails. Wouldn't trade it to gain a few lumens since it's small/broad beam, like having the clip in reverse (ground down to a length that lets it tail-stand after I ground off the keychain nub) which the Olight replacement can't do w/o buying a 3rd party clip, and prefer it starts out on medium mode since it doesn't have mode memory. I'd be fine with it having only the medium mode.

Interestingly the knurling on the body tube on mine seems to stop a little further from the head end, leaving enough space for the clip to be put on in reverse without it sliding around. I'm not sure if the one you pictured in the linked review would allow that w/o grinding down the top of the clip.

Oddly mine started making a humming sound on medium about 9 months ago, but after a few days of doing that the noise went away. Maybe it was just the ambient temperature, I was using it outside and it was winter at the time.
    Last edited by J_C; 09-22-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle K View Post
    Got a couple from Amazon last week:

http://www.amazon.com/iTP-A3-EOS-Fla...7081478&sr=8-2

Kyle
    OK, it's over a year now, since the post I've "quoted" above, and recently I got bite by the tiny flashlight bug, and was able to find "almost" the last iTP on the planet, or at least on Amazon. Paid $40.00 for the black version. At the time, the amazon page said "last one", but I'm beginning to see a bit of a scam with these "last item available" notes, as a day later, there was in fact another one available, if you click the link above, today 6-23-2013, you will see another one for sale for............ wait............ $149.00...... OUCH!

Spending far too much time here, reading about all the tiny AAA flashlights I love, I know you can get a custom AAA or buy 3-5 other brands. I guess that's just greed, and even though I really like my iTP, impressive output, etc. I would never pay more then I originally did. But since I like it so much, I don't want to get it all scratched up as my EDC on my keyring. Would have bought a 2nd one, if the price was not jacked up beyond belief, or my modest budget. So I settled on ordering a Titanium "illuminaTi-CA1", from BatteryJunction.com. While I'm not keen on a shiny Titanium body, with all the knurling on almost the entire body, I figured any key scratches would not really show up. The specs for this light, are almost identical to my black iTP. So yeah, spent another $50.00, and I'm only hoping the Titanium is not too much heavier then the aluminum body iTP, I know there both tiny, but I've got enough weight from the "keys" in my pocket so every "gram" counts. So if you have "deep pockets", go get the "last one" ha ha, of the iTP! I guess I just got lucky for once.

That price is absolutely ridicules!

Yeah, at first I thought it was a "misprint", but then realized, there's a SUCKER born everyday, I imagine someone will end up paying 4x what I did. In a few days, I'll have the Titanium "illumaTi" for EDC, hope it's not much heavier.

I'm going to list mine for $9999.99, and finally get that Rolex Submariner I've always wanted.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast