VB16 controller/

syc

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I was hoping someone could help me - the switch on my CPF multi-level died, and I couldn't use it anymore, so I disassembled it to see if I could figure out how to fix it.

In the process, the red wire leading to the positive pad on the LED came disconnected from the heatsink/controller under the emitter star. Unfortunately, I'm unsure how to take out the controller to get access where that red wire is supposed to connect.

Does anyone know of a source for replacement emitter/controller modules? Or does anyone have advice about how to reconnect the wire?

Thanks,
Steve

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi syc,

Sometime within this year, someone had an issue with his CPF Multi-level, took it apart, and snapped some very informative pics of the guts.

No matter which way I've searched, I cannot find this thread again. I know it exists somewhere... Herb (Wits' End) even replied to it! I may have to write him to see if he can direct us toward it.

Will report back if any luck.

syc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks - I'd like to see that thread. I guess the other question would be if its possible to just pick up one of these wf-502b modules and get it to fit (even if I lost the adjustable beam).

Hi syc,

Sometime within this year, someone had an issue with his CPF Multi-level, took it apart, and snapped some very informative pics of the guts.

No matter which way I've searched, I cannot find this thread again. I know it exists somewhere... Herb (Wits' End) even replied to it! I may have to write him to see if he can direct us toward it.

Will report back if any luck.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found it!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/233287

Unfortunately though, it looks like you'll likely have troubles getting to the driver board because there's a brass retaining ring behind it that's hammer punched in a number of spots, making it a permanent installation.

All is not lost though, because the OP was able to get the ring out, but wound up knocking a component off the board. If you're able to accomplish this without damaging the driver, you should then be able to access that red wire going to the LED.

Glad ya' prompted me to look again. I'll soon be doing some Seoul mods on a couple of my Multi-levels, and am now reminded to be extra careful as those lead wires seem a bit fragile!

Good luck, and let us know how you make out. :candle:

syc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for finding that. Carbine15 was in basically the same situation I am in now - wires to the bright switches broken (but easy to solder back on) and the red wire is shot.

It looks like aluminum expands at a faster rate than brass when the two are heated, so I may try heating the module to see if a gap opens up enough between the brass and aluminum enough to pop the brass ring out.

Thanks again,
Steve